Ga State Parks - Muddy Spokes, Park Paddlers

jola

Has anyone done the bicycling (Muddy Spokes) or canoeing ( Park Paddlers) challenge?

We want to start the paddlers club soon. There are six parks you have to visit to earn your Tshirt.

Has anyone else tried this yet?

jola

OK, so I take it no one has done it. If you are looking for a way to spend time with the family, get in shape, challenge yourself.....look into these programs. You can find out more on the Ga State Parks web site. There are three clubs - hiking, biking, boating. It costs $10 to get the membership card for each club. After you complete each trail, you get your card stamped. When you have completed all of the trails for that club, you send in the card and they send you a Tshirt. There are 11 trails on the Muddy Spokes list, 4 parks on the Canyon Climbers list, and 6 parks on the Park Paddlers list.

Anyone up for a challenge??

ChiefOsceola

I saw the info on this when I went to Stephen C. Foster SP a few months back. Meant to check into it but forgot about it until reading your post. I'm up for a challenge on the paddling part!

jola

Completed the first of the Muddy Spokes trails today!!!! We went to Panola Mountain and rode the bike trail for our first card punch.

We are also thinking of doing the canoe trip at Sweetwater in the next couple of weeks.

This is a great way to get the family out together. Let me know if anyone else is going to try it!!

jola

Most of the paddling locations are in south Ga, which is pretty far away for us. We're doing our first one at Reed Bingham in Nov. if it's not too cold to give it a try.

Randy

I will be at Sweetwater Creek SP this weekend doing a seminar and while there the wife and I plan on joining the paddleing club and getting that paddle out of the way while there.

jola

Randy, that sounds great. Let me know how it is. I'm watching a bit on TV about Sweetwater (Georgia Traveler). Do you and the wife have kids?

Randy

Randy, that sounds great. Let me know how it is. I'm watching a bit on TV about Sweetwater (Georgia Traveler). Do you and the wife have kids?

The kids are grown and gone. Why don't you come over Sunday afternoon and see us?

jola

Sounds like fun, but we're celebrating my brother's birthday Sunday.

campinnurse

I am a paddling beginner. Are there any other beginners out there or groups that are not competitive or too advanced for me? I have a kayak and have only paddled a lake, a salt marsh and a slow, lazy river. I am not a buff athelete either but really want to develop my skills and endurance. Anybody know of any groups I could join?

allenww

There is a school of thought that OJT - On the Job Training - is good, and generally I would agree. That's how most of my generation learned.

But if you enjoy running the rivers, I would get at least basic training from somebody skilled or from a group program. Not only
does it make most spills a minor event, but it frees up your mind to enjoy the run.

We live on Atlanta's fringe, and the outdoor centers give regular training days every spring. So do some of the YMCA's. There
are also clubs up this way who offer contingency training, but that, too is in the spring.

After the new year, give REI or Go With the Flow or High Country
a call to inquire about classes. Or drop me a note.

Besides the obvious benefits, these type classes get you "in the loop" with like minded folks, and you will find that there are more floats available on a given summer weekend than there is time to go.

A side benefit (based on your avatar) is somebody at the take out to help put your canoe back on your truck!

wa