GA Youth Turkey Hunt MAR 15-16 2014 TROPHY THREAD

Thread starter #1

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Please post pics on this thread showing youth gobbler trophies from the youth weekend hunt on MAR 15-16. This is not for adult hunts, just for the youth weekend gobblers.

Good luck and thanks!

sman

I hope this thing fills up by lunch time on the 15th!

Congrats little man!!!! Great bird.

sea trout

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congadulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hoppie

My buddy with his sons. I called the bird in for his youngest on the left. This was their first ever turkey hunt. He put on a show too.

Attachments

Thread starter #8

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Headed back out in an hour for an afternoon hunt. Had these two come in together to my calls. They kept looking around for a hen (we did not put any dekes out) and were getting nervous as my two sons got their guns up. I told them earlier if 2 birds come in, I will count 1-2-3 then shoot.

I counted and when I said "3" they both shot at the exact same time and two birds went flopping. 2nd bird for my 9YO and the first one for my 12YO. They even stood on the necks while they flopped. It was awesome.

(They both were trying to count pellet hits to the head to see who did better) :shoot:

Attachments

chefrific

My son rolled a nice Telfair gobbler. He slipped in with 4 other toms at 5pm.

Last edited:
Thread starter #15

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Bird #2 today for my 9YO

We went out again today around 2PM. He and his brother each got a bird this AM. But m 9YO was wanting to try again. I like afternoon hunts but they are extra challenging and difficult since the birds are harder to bring in and not usually as vocal as in the mornings.

It took several hours to bring this one in. He gobbled Waaayyyyy off in the distance but we kept the lovesong going. When he got within 100 yards he went silent. After about 45 minutes or so I thought he was gone. I stood up to stretch and at the same time he slipped through some tall grass and was looking my direction. Due to my camo, he couldn't see me, but knew something was wrong.

He slipped back into the grass and disappeared. I eased back down and started some soft purring and clucks. After about 40 minutes he came back and he got hammered.

Great hunt for a 9YO with two birds in one day:cool::fine:

Attachments

hoppie

We went out again today around 2PM. He and his brother each got a bird this AM. But he was wanting to try again. I like afternoon hunts but they are extra challenging and difficult since the birds are harder to bring in and not usually as vocal as in the mornings.

It took several hours to bring this one in. He gobbled Waaayyyyy off in the distance but we kept the lovesong going. When he got within 100 yards he went silent. After about 45 minutes or so I thought he was gone. I stood up to stretch and at the same time he slipped through some tall grass and was looking my direction. Due to my camo, he couldn't see me, but knew something was wrong.

He slipped back into the grass and disappeared. I eased back down and strated some soft purring and clucks. After about 40 minutes he came back and he got hammered.

Great hunt for a 9YO with two birds in one day:cool::fine:
What a fantastic opening day for y'all. Congrats