GA Youth Turkey Hunt MAR 15-16 2014 TROPHY THREAD

Geeseman

My son Grant with his first turkey. He took it Saturday morning at 1030 with his Mossberg 500 20g. We have been patterning this gun with a HS turkey choke and found that Kents Turkey Mag 3" #6 were the best at 25 yards.

This tom rolled out with a beared hen, jake and another smaller tom. Once I noticed the beard length on this way I started telling him take the right bird over and over. I video the whole event that seemed to take for ever but was only around a minute.

Once the birds split apart enough he shot and the bird folded.

The bird weighed 21lbs. had a beard just over 11 inches and spurs that are 1 1/2 in. long.

Very nice first and trophy bird for my son. Great time and great memory for both of us!!

Attachments

chefrific

Geo12hunter, that is a cool bird. Check out the barring on the tail fan. Awesome!

Congrats to all the little guys and gals. Had my girls in the woods in Lumber City Sat / Sun morning but didn't hear or see a bird either day???

Chefrific my other son killed one two years ago that has the same marking on the same tail feathers 50 miles from where this bird was killed SAT.

UGATurkey

Saturday afternoon bird

Had a slow morning, but my son and I went back and patience paid off with this Tom showing up to make the boy's day.

Attachments

Thread starter #32

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Awesome pics, keep them coming!

Duff

Great thread!!! Congrats to all the young hunters! Great job!!!!!:clap:

Thread starter #35

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
My son Hunter's first youth hunt, he's 10. ( only second time hunting ever, and we didn't even see anything his first.) Not only his first turkey(s), but he got them both with the same shot at 20 yards. Both beards 10 inches or a touch over. 1 inch spurs on both, or a touch over on one bird. Perfect morning to hunt even with the little bit of rain. Birds down by 7:45a.m..
Then he goes on to win first place in his division shooting traditional at a 3-d archery shoot! Need to see if he found a four-leafed clover or something earlier, then find me one !

Attachments

Last edited:

antharper

My son Hunter's first youth hunt, he's 10. ( only second time hunting ever, and we didn't even see anything his first.) Not only his first turkey(s), but he got them both with the same shot at 20 yards. Both beards 10 inches or a touch over. 1 inch spurs on both, or a touch over on one bird. Perfect morning to hunt even with the little bit of rain. Birds down by 7:45a.m..
Then he goes on to win first place in his division shooting traditional at a 3-d archery shoot! Need to see if he found a four-leafed clover or something earlier, then find me one !
I bet can't nobody tell him nothing , tell him congrats and congrats to u also !

Sorry, been so long sense I've had something to post on here, guess I forgot how to put in the photos Here's a couple I thought I had in the earlier post, only took about 50 ! Had camera recording but didn't get the shot, just got the audio and the birds after the shot on video. (Was too busy trying to get a look at them strutting) did get all the audio. The sound of his voice after the shot, Priceless! That was the first time I've used a tent blind, worked great, but think I prefer being in the open. Those Tom's came over to pick on my 25 year old Jake decoy and I only saw a little of it! We also had about 12 hens in the field along with my half dozen decoys.
This was probably the easiest hunt I've ever been on, everything went perfect. Tried to explain to him it usually dosn't go THAT smooth!

http:// [url]http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?[/url]
attachmentid=828519&stc=1&d=1426472739

Attachments