***General Discussion Weather Thread #4 - 2018***

Thread starter #1
Starting this one just to finish off the rest of the month and year. We'll close it and start a new one on January 1st 2019.

Y'all enjoy the weather from here on out in December. Nothing crazy showing on the horizon yet.

And to get today kicked off I'll repost the Special Weather Statement for tonight on this thread as well.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1206 PM EST Mon Dec 10 2018
GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>038-041>049-052>058-066>068-
111545-
Dade-Walker-Catoosa-Whitfield-Murray-Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-
Chattooga-Gordon-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-White-Floyd-Bartow-
Cherokee-Forsyth-Hall-Banks-Jackson-Madison-Polk-Paulding-Cobb-
North Fulton-Gwinnett-Barrow-Clarke-Oconee-Oglethorpe-Haralson-
Carroll-Douglas-South Fulton-DeKalb-Rockdale-Walton-Newton-Morgan-
Heard-Coweta-Fayette-Clayton-Spalding-Henry-Butts-Troup-
Meriwether-Pike-
...ICY SPOTS AND BLACK ICE EXPECTED TONIGHT AND TUESDAY
MORNING...
Temperatures tonight will drop into the upper 20s to lower 30s
across north and portions of central Georgia. The colder
temperatures combined with moisture left on surfaces from recent
precipitation will leads to slick or icy spots on roads as well as
other surfaces such as porches, decks, and sidewalks Tuesday
morning. The most likely locations for black ice on roadways will
be secondary or untreated roads as well as bridges and overpasses.
The threats for black ice and slick spots will diminish through
the morning hours as temperatures are expected to warm through
Tuesday afternoon to well above the freezing mark. Use caution and
allow extra time to reach your destination if traveling late
Tonight and Tuesday morning.

School in Dawson County has been called off tomorrow.

Starting this one just to finish off the rest of the month and year. We'll close it and start a new one on January 1st 2019.

Y'all enjoy the weather from here on out in December. Nothing crazy showing on the horizon yet.

And to get today kicked off I'll repost the Special Weather Statement for tonight on this thread as well.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
GAZ001>009-011>016-019>025-027-030>038-041>049-052>058-066>068-
111545-
Dade-Walker-Catoosa-Whitfield-Murray-Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-
Chattooga-Gordon-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-White-Floyd-Bartow-
Cherokee-Forsyth-Hall-Banks-Jackson-Madison-Polk-Paulding-Cobb-
North Fulton-Gwinnett-Barrow-Clarke-Oconee-Oglethorpe-Haralson-
Carroll-Douglas-South Fulton-DeKalb-Rockdale-Walton-Newton-Morgan-
Heard-Coweta-Fayette-Clayton-Spalding-Henry-Butts-Troup-
Meriwether-Pike-
...ICY SPOTS AND BLACK ICE EXPECTED TONIGHT AND TUESDAY
MORNING...
Temperatures tonight will drop into the upper 20s to lower 30s
across north and portions of central Georgia. The colder
temperatures combined with moisture left on surfaces from recent
precipitation will leads to slick or icy spots on roads as well as
other surfaces such as porches, decks, and sidewalks Tuesday
morning. The most likely locations for black ice on roadways will
be secondary or untreated roads as well as bridges and overpasses.
The threats for black ice and slick spots will diminish through
the morning hours as temperatures are expected to warm through
Tuesday afternoon to well above the freezing mark. Use caution and
allow extra time to reach your destination if traveling late
Tonight and Tuesday morning.
Important Message
  • Governor Deal has announced that state offices will delay opening Tuesday because of freezing temperatures expected overnight combined with wet roads and the potential for hazardous ice conditions.
    Because the threat for these conditions includes Paulding County, the school district is delaying the start of school on Tuesday, December 11th by two hours. This means that your school’s start time will now be two hours later than its normal start time. Additionally, it means that bus routes will run two hours later than normal, so on Tuesday your child’s bus will arrive at the stop two hours later than the normal time.
    All schools will dismiss at their regular time on Tuesday.
    All school staff should report two hours later than their normal arrival time.
    We appreciate your observance of this delayed start. Governor Deal has asked those in affected areas to avoid driving Tuesday morning if possible. Please take care to avoid icy patches when walking to the bus stop, or anywhere outside Tuesday morning as ice can be very difficult to see. Thank you!

Negative. Thanks for the invite though. 😂😂
Come here. You can have it up to your knees or more in places. You can slide around on the roads, flip your car off 1000 foot drop offs, get snow pouring into the top of your boots, enjoy having no electricity, and have a big ol' time. :)

4HAND

Come here. You can have it up to your knees or more in places. You can slide around on the roads, flip your car off 1000 foot drop offs, get snow pouring into the top of your boots, enjoy having no electricity, and have a big ol' time. :)
No sir, that don't sound very fun.

My sister in Va was hoping they wouldn't lose power. As of yesterday they'd gotten around 10 inches, I think.

GoldDot40

I noticed already that there's a new system developing out west and could very well follow the same path as this last one...or further north or south. Still several days to see if anything comes of it.

Yessir, saw where NC has about 250,000 with NO Power.

Nicodemus

FREELANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
I worked an ice storm up there in North Carolina in February 1996, and went back and worked the exact same area in September of the same year after Hurricane Fran went through there. Talk about some weather extremes.

Important Message
  • Governor Deal has announced that state offices will delay opening Tuesday because of freezing temperatures expected overnight combined with wet roads and the potential for hazardous ice conditions.
    Because the threat for these conditions includes Paulding County, the school district is delaying the start of school on Tuesday, December 11th by two hours. This means that your school’s start time will now be two hours later than its normal start time. Additionally, it means that bus routes will run two hours later than normal, so on Tuesday your child’s bus will arrive at the stop two hours later than the normal time.
    All schools will dismiss at their regular time on Tuesday.
    All school staff should report two hours later than their normal arrival time.
    We appreciate your observance of this delayed start. Governor Deal has asked those in affected areas to avoid driving Tuesday morning if possible. Please take care to avoid icy patches when walking to the bus stop, or anywhere outside Tuesday morning as ice can be very difficult to see. Thank you!
How about Wednesday, I will coming into Atlanta that day. Traffic is bad enough without ice on the roads.

Resica

I'm on my way:). Nothing here, just cold. Heard Mt. Mitchell got 34 inches.

Please no more rain for a month!
coming back in Friday

the ground is rotten. I have a hard time getting around the pasture in a 4WD tractor with 2 round bales of hay

coming back in Friday

the ground is rotten. I have a hard time getting around the pasture in a 4WD tractor with 2 round bales of hay
Same here. We are trying to start on building a house on my dads farm and I can’t get the dozer up the hill to start working it’s so wet here ugh

Thread starter #20
Miguel, do you anticipate more snow in Dec?
I would love to catch a weekend snow with the kids.
A week ago the MJO was all set up for more mischief the last week of Dec / first week of Jan. But that has since eroded. We'll have to wait and see, but doesn't look good right now.