***General Discussion Weather Thread #4 - 2018***

I've always marveled at the sales skills of architects. They propose a plan, a beautifully designed plan for a public park, river walk, space ets. Then they tell the city / county it will cost them millions to build..............in the flood plain of a major river. Then the commission votes to spend those millions of your tax dollars building it and the architect wins nationwide awards for such a stellar concept. Nobody ever talks about the cost incurred to clean up these spaces after a flood deposits tons of silt and mud on them.
That's what all the parks around here have looked like lately, too.

I'm ready to turn off the AC...............
In nearly 52 years of life on this planet, I have yet to turn on the A/C in my house. Don't own one.

I do spend a fortune heating it every year, though.

Thread starter #204

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
In nearly 52 years of life on this planet, I have yet to turn on the A/C in my house. Don't own one.

I do spend a fortune heating it every year, though.
I wonder how deep you'd have to drill to tap into some of that geothermal heat like 90% of the homes in Iceland use?

Thread starter #206

Miguel Cervantes

GON Severe Weatherman
You folks in NE GA can expect a ramping up of a freezing rain discussion on your local weather channels. That hippy fella up in NC prolly is aware that Boone is under a Winter Storm Watch already.

There is still much uncertainty as to the where and when of the freezing rain for NE GA, but a consensus of models are showing good confidence that it is a strong possibility beginning as early as 1pm on Saturday and lasting well into Sunday morning, later for folks in Asheville NC. Also for that moderator fella in Kentucky, I've watched the last three model runs go from y'all getting more rain to now the freezing line edging ever so closer to that 10uhC northern border. I suspect once it's all said and done this system / winter storm will engulf your area as well.

Better to be prepared for this kind of garbage weather and not need it than not be prepared and need it. Food supplies, meds, and alternative heat sources are strongly recommended. This is the crippling kind of weather, and sometimes deadly especially for the elderly, that we all hate to see.

1547207690530.png

Hate the freezing rain prediction. Possibly changing to snow????

Milkman

Retired Moderator
You folks in NE GA can expect a ramping up of a freezing rain discussion on your local weather channels. That hippy fella up in NC prolly is aware that Boone is under a Winter Storm Watch already.

There is still much uncertainty as to the where and when of the freezing rain for NE GA, but a consensus of models are showing good confidence that it is a strong possibility beginning as early as 1pm on Saturday and lasting well into Sunday morning, later for folks in Asheville NC. Also for that moderator fella in Kentucky, I've watched the last three model runs go from y'all getting more rain to now the freezing line edging ever so closer to that 10uhC northern border. I suspect once it's all said and done this system / winter storm will engulf your area as well.

Better to be prepared for this kind of garbage weather and not need it than not be prepared and need it. Food supplies, meds, and alternative heat sources are strongly recommended. This is the crippling kind of weather, and sometimes deadly especially for the elderly, that we all hate to see.

View attachment 955556
Thanks for the heads up !!!

I've always marveled at the sales skills of architects. They propose a plan, a beautifully designed plan for a public park, river walk, space ets. Then they tell the city / county it will cost them millions to build..............in the flood plain of a major river. Then the commission votes to spend those millions of your tax dollars building it and the architect wins nationwide awards for such a stellar concept. Nobody ever talks about the cost incurred to clean up these spaces after a flood deposits tons of silt and mud on them.
My wifes an architect and 95% of the time its not her or her firm pushing to build things its towns/cities/counties. She recently did a park here in town and pointed out its not in a good area (low lying and near a lake) a few times at the meetings with the county but they said so build it and they did. You don't really turn down work like that after all its not your problem after you are done.

Nice balmy 17* here this morning.

I think most of this mess is gonna miss us here in the Smokies for once. Looks like mostly cold rain with some sleet and light snow mixed in here and there with most of the ice and snow to the south and east of us.

36 and cloudy here.