***General Discussion Weather Thread #4 - 2018***

Thread starter #525
High's in the mid 60's for the next few days. Apparently my no-snow dome has expanded into a no-polar vortex dome.
Actually it is normal weather for February. It will happen over and over again as we approach Spring in March. We will even see temps in the low to mid 70's. It happens every single stinking year with the exception of one or two in the past 10 years. So when you hear a Pro Met proclaim we will be "Unseasonably Warm" change the channel, that person is an idiot. It is perfectly seasonable for us to have days where the temps are in the high 60's and low to mid 70's in February.

Actually it is normal weather for February. It will happen over and over again as we approach Spring in March. We will even see temps in the low to mid 70's. It happens every single stinking year with the exception of one or two in the past 10 years. So when you hear a Pro Met proclaim we will be "Unseasonably Warm" change the channel, that person is an idiot. It is perfectly seasonable for us to have days where the temps are in the high 60's and low to mid 70's in February.
Hmmm...here's a pic I took February 25, 2017.

65 degrees February 25

And this one from February 16, last year:
February 2018

Thread starter #530
Well, we has humans are guilty of believing there is actually a correlation between astrological season and meteorological seasons, when in fact the connection is mediocre at best.

Astrological Winter occurs between and approximately around December 21st and last until approximately March 21st. Those of us that have been around for more than ten minutes and has a memory better than what our wives says it is easily realize we get winter type weather well before December 21st and spring temps and weather starts rebounding well before March 21st. Astrological seasons are dictated specifically by the suns alignment in the sky related to our equator. They have little bearing on actual weather season limits whatsoever.

Meteorological Winter is from around December 1st and February 29th / March 1st, which falls more in line with what we experience in timing and duration of seasonal weather, with the exception of the occasional freak winter storm in early to mid March.

All of this considered, we are right on schedule to start warming up and seeing things beginning to bloom. It won't be long before those old long necks will start getting frisky and begin gobbling all over the woods either.

Henbit booming in my lawn. :mad:

mguthrie

It looks like I'm going to get my wish. Warm AND dry weather for a week or so. Well mostly dry. I can work in drizzle or a lite shower