***General Discussion Weather Thread #4 - 2018***

Batjack

member #1313
Dang, glad it wasn't worse. What cracked the windows, the noise?
Shock wave is all I can figure, sounded like a bomb went off right outside the house. Knocked the Ol' lady off the throne. The yard went bright white and it felt like the house jumped off the footers. I've got a 37" flat screen tv for a monitor leaned back against the wall and it bounced straight across the desk at me. Walked around this morning and can't find what it hit, unless it was one of the old blighted pines that one couldn't tell or not.

Shock wave is all I can figure, sounded like a bomb went off right outside the house. Knocked the Ol' lady off the throne. The yard went bright white and it felt like the house jumped off the footers. I've got a 37" flat screen tv for a monitor leaned back against the wall and it bounced straight across the desk at me. Walked around this morning and can't find what it hit, unless it was one of the old blighted pines that one couldn't tell or not.
Probably came through that Pine, then the ground, like you said.

I had an Uncle(passed away now) that had an incident with lightning very similar. It's almost unbelievable what all it did.

It hit a large pine along the edge of his driveway, ran through a dog chain laying on the ground, heaving the ground where the chain lay. When it reached an old tire just laying on the ground, the chain just randomly got stretched up and over the tire, dropped back inside the tire touching the ground again, and back up and over the opposite side of the tire back to the ground and into the dog house to the dog and fried him. I gave the Lab/Setter mix to my Uncle.

Every where that chain touched the ground the soil was heaved up. Where it went up and over that tire there was no heaving. Where it touched back down to the ground in the center of the tire it heaved the soil again. Where it went back up and over the tire on the far side the heaving was not there again until it touched the ground again coming back off the tire and into the dog house.

And that's not all, it blew electrical outlets out of his walls in some areas of his house and garage, blew chunks of concrete out of his garage floor where it came through rebar in his garage. I saw it the very next day when he called me telling me about it killing MAX. I gave Max to him because he just fell in love with that dog when I lived there with them for a while after moving up here when I was young. I brought the dog from New Orleans when I moved up here and stayed with them to just get on my feet.

One would've had to seen it almost to believe it.

I think you may mean March 1993. Storm of the Century
We had snow drifted up to the tops of highway overpasses here. It was level with the roof of my house on the backside, and my mailbox was completely covered. It took weeks to melt away.

Figured this thread would be busier than this. Any updates on what NEGA should expect tonight/tomorrow? Looks like weather channel is calling for a little rain and a few thunderstorms but nothing major....

gunnurse

Looks like radar has a nice line of storms SW of Huntsville moving Northeast. They might skate West and North of NEGA.

gunnurse

Looks like NEGA got blown up last night. The line that I saw just before bed was about 40 miles wide. I woke up last night and looked at the radar and there was bad juju from the ATL all the way to Gainesville.

jbird1

The snow symbol keeps bouncing around on my iPhone weather. I don't put much stock in it but it's fun to at least have a teaser. Haven't seen a single flake this year.

Forecast here calls for snow off and on Sunday-Tuesday and again next Weekend. Next Wednesday says low of 9 and high of 26. :(

The snow symbol keeps bouncing around on my iPhone weather. I don't put much stock in it but it's fun to at least have a teaser. Haven't seen a single flake this year.
It has showed snow off and on for a couple days. Now wunderground says a little rain. However it looks like 20s next week for a day or two.