Georgia Giant Bream

DSGB

I wouldn't mind catching a mess of these: Georgia Giant Bream
While searching for more about this hatchery, I found an interesting connection to Hogzilla.

Mr. Holyoak has a knack for publicity, and has a wall of articles about his efforts to raise bullfrogs in captivity and his record-breaking fish breeds, like one he calls the Georgia Giant Hybrid Bream. He has theorized that Hogzilla grew so big by feasting on the special fish food used on the farm.
Mr. Holyoak, who also operates hog hunts on his land, allowed National Geographic to dig up Hogzilla because, he said, he wanted the free advertising, and he thought the hog might be a world record.

Oscott

DSGB,

Dang, that's a big A Bream!

Handgunner

Breamzilla!

That's why Hogzilla was so big... Feeding on the very food that made those bream that big... :rolleyes: :D

I'd LOVE to get into a mess of those with the ol' micro-spin and tub of crickets!

DSGB

"Big" is being modest. :hair:

DSGB

I'd LOVE to get into a mess of those with the ol' micro-spin and tub of crickets!
I'd probably give up bass fishing.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I'd love to get in on a mess of those also. I imagine catching one of those on ultra-light equipment would probably be equivalent to catching a 20 lb bass on a light to medium action rig.

Handgunner

I've pretty much given up bass fishing. I'll still go occasionally, but when you got a pond full of 1lb or so bream that just love crickets, it's hard to bass fish... :D

GeauxLSU

Delton said:
I've pretty much given up bass fishing. I'll still go occasionally, but when you got a pond full of 1lb or so bream that just love crickets, it's hard to bass fish... :D
Don't forget the mutant yellow extraterrestrial ones! :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Handgunner

GeauxLSU said:
Don't forget the mutant yellow extraterrestrial ones! :D
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil
:rofl: oh yeah, those too!

the HEED!

Banned
That fish would kick your butt on ultralights!

A buddy and me used to fish a pond off Ebenezer Rd in Marietta that had tons of 1 lb bluegills in there, we would use fly rods and poppin bugs and wear them out on the bed in the late spring/early summer. They were a blast and fought like all get out! I couldnt imagine watching that fish in the pic rising slowly under my bug and sucking it under and bolting off a soon as I set the hook, well that pond was drained and a neighborhood was built on it, what a shame.... :cry:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Sorry to be a little off topic,

But, did you guys see the Georgia state record shellcracker caught out of the Savannah river about 5 or so years ago?

It was over 5lbs. Everybody made a stink over the picture in GON because people thought the guy was giving everybody who viewed the pic the bird!

Tommy

Handgunner

Thought he was giving them the finger???

He WAS! :bounce:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Seriously Delton,

Did they prove it, or was that just how the guy happened to be holding that fish. I'm as serious as a heart attack!!

I always wondered if he really was or if people were making a fuss over nothing.

Tommy

Handgunner

I think they called him on it, and his story was "that's how I happened to be holding the fish"...

Hard to prove either way, but don't hand me a bowl of mud and call it pudding! :D

How many times have you held a fish like that???

Personally, I think the guy was being sneaky. But that's purely my opinion.

red tail

GONetwork Member
I might look into it and might put some in my pound.

AAADawg

PSE TRITON said:
A buddy and me used to fish a pond off Ebenezer Rd in Marietta that had tons of 1 lb bluegills in there, we would use fly rods and poppin bugs and wear them out on the bed in the late spring/early summer. They were a blast and fought like all get out! I couldnt imagine watching that fish in the pic rising slowly under my bug and sucking it under and bolting off a soon as I set the hook, well that pond was drained and a neighborhood was built on it, what a shame.... :cry:

It wasnt G&b's lake was it??? I odnt knwo what road it was off of but it was between Mableton and Austell Rd just before county farm road...it was fulll of HUGE blue gill....Id rather catch a 8 oz bream on a fly rod than a 3 lb. bass on 14 lb. casting tackle ANY day....

Kdog

Red Tail, don't do it. they will mess up all the other fishing in your pond. Now, if all you want is GA giants, go ahead. Just make sure 40% of your pond is at least 16' deep Trust me on this.

Kdog

Slayer

My dad has these in his small farm pond down in Hahira.....these things will slap tear up a normal little bream buster.....and they will cause a cricket to beg for there life!!!!!!!

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've Always Said If A Bream Weighed 20lbs. You Couldn't Get It In As Hard As They Fight. But I'd Sure Love To Try!