Georgia Redfish

gafshr

I was fortunate enough to get another recapture this past weekend I figured I'd share this and help spread some information. I tag redfish for DNR and sometimes I catch fish that I've already tagged in the past. This fish was caught 13 months after originally tagged in the same spot. 21.5 in May 2017 27.5 in June 2018. The information id like to pass on is what I've learned in the 5 years I have been tagging redfish is that they typically don't move much. JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN KEEP A LIMIT DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO. If you look South Carolina has had to lower their limits to 2 per person 6 per boat because of over fishing. That fish was way more fun to catch at 27.5 inches than 21.5. PLEASE keep the negative comments to yourself just trying to share some information.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Sweet! Thanks for sharing and good photo!

Fatback1

Cool stuff man, thanks for sharing. I fish mainly around Tybee. I have noticed over twenty years that areas that used to be loaded with bass (Redfish) now have little or none. This being said about lower slot and above. Yet every fall there seems to be plenty of big bulls in the surf spawning. I have to travel to out of the way hidden areas to catch decent fish. Over harvesting hurts everyone.

gafshr

Same way in Brunswick.

perryrip

Good post Jamie. I catch a lot on same drops and some are repeats as well. Nothing like a fight with a 28" red.

Bream Pole

Red Fish are delicious fish. At most I'd keep a couple around 14 inches for my wife and I to eat fresh, but to be honest, and many may laugh, if I am fishing for table fair I usually target Croakers and Whiting.

I am 75 and remember when there were no limits. Releasing fish was pretty much unheard of and large numbers of trout and redfish, I mean large numbers, would be brought back to the landing. Today we are seeing the result of that and increased commercial fishing. Jamie I'm happy to release any I catch which may be none as I don't go like I used to. I might add you sure know how to catch them.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
We've seen a decline in the number of tailers over the years directly related to "catch and kill". 25 years ago my partner and I were among the handful in pursuit of tailers on spring tides. We waded in the short grass for them with fly rods long before it became popular. Those days are gone with more and more folks chasing them on low and highwater with shallow draft boats and electric motors. I've seen flats wiped out of fish by folks exercising their "right to take 5". One such flat was emptied by 5 gallon buckets of fish at a time. On low water, the fish held in a shallow saltwater pond 300 yards from the river. After a local guide found the spot it was doomed. When adjoining state anglers come to our coast to load their coolers because of lower limits in Florida and now SC, we will continue to pay the price. Studies by SC decades ago established that reds didn't move around much and stayed close to where they were caught initially. Keep up the good work with your tagging efforts. That's a remarkable growth spurt in a year.

gafshr

This was shared on Instagram the picture came from somewhere on social media. Mostly redfish and another pile of fish on the dock under the board. Thats from Shellmans bluff area.

hawkdriver

Finally scored one myself!! 32" and released unharmed! So good to finally boat one of these things...and with all my kids on board!

Attachments

• redfish.PNG
    redfish.PNG
    755.6 KB · Views: 6