Getting Back into it.....

LongBow01

I am attempting to put some real effort back into hunting with my recurve. I have been focusing all of my time on building my remodeling business the last several years so The only hunting I have done is with a rifle. I have finally gotthe biz to where it doesnt require as much of my attention so id like to give it another go at trad archery hunting. I have never shot an animal with a bow so it is a challenge to me. I have a 50# @ 28" damon howatt recurve. I am currently shooting a 45-50# 3 rivers wood arrow with 125 grain feild point. The arrows seem to fly good and hit where I hmwant them to as long as I can keep consistent form. I only have 3 good arrows so Im going to buy more but I would like some advice on what to get. The main reason I am asking is because when I put all my specs on my bow and arrows in the spine calculator on the 3 rivers web site its saying I need a 55# spine arrow so should I get 50-55's instead of more 45-50's? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Dennis

Beware of those arrow charts they don't work for everyone. If your arrows fly fine I would stick with them. You could get a test kit of different spines just to see if others make any difference

LongBow01

I think I might get the test kit so I can try a few different spines

Vance Henry

Try and make to the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia banquet on the 11th. There will be lots of folks there that can help you out.

Clipper

Can you put one of the broadheads you will hunt with on one of the arrows you have? If your broadhead and field points are hitting the same spot you are very likely using the correct arrows for you. If it is a two bladed broadhead mount the blades horizontal when the bow is held vertical. Buying the test kit will still let you know you are in right slot and give you peace of mind.

oldfella1962

I use 3 Rivers Archery cedar shafts with 125 grain heads too. They are pretty durable and accurate and the same arrows with 2 blade Zwickey broadheads fly exactly the same. I would recommend them to anyone.