Getting Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise for Christmas

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to, but never have. I already buy fishing licenses for two states.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What is crazy is what you have to pay in Tennessee to go fishing. Talk about price gauging.
Yep. All the trout fishing I do in TN is within the GSMNP, which I can fish with my NC license as long as I'm inside the park boundary.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Learning to whip finish without a tool will serve you well. You'd be surprised at how small a hook on which it can be done. It also helps tying with scissors in hand (at least most of the time). I wind in the opposite direction compared with most folks which drives some folks nuts watching me tie. ;)

Gil

Killer Kyle

Thanks NC,

That is the thing back then. You either had to read it in books or know someone who ties flies. I had a great uncle who tied a ton of flies and sold some to a few stores around middle Georgia.

I will take any advise I can get since I will be new to tying. Also I have been looking at youtube videos also which help.

The new thing now seems to be tying using resin on the flies. Wonder how difficult it is to get to set up with the UV lights. Someone said one time when he uses UV resin with flies he sets them out in the sun to set up. I guess that would work.

I converted to resin the fall before last. I am a sold believer now. Here is a tip: never, ever buy the resin (like Loon) that comes in a combo with the little UV light. They charge you an arm and a leg for that stupid little light. I bought my UV light from Amazon for $5.00 and with Amazon Prime, it shipped free. I think they are charging you like $30.00 or so for a light that comes in a kit.
I like the instant drying from the resin. One useful application for it is coating painted tungsten bead heads. If I could pick one favorite streamer/nymph of all time, my pick would ne the micro mohair leeches I tie. They are trout slaying machines. I use Rip Lips tungsten beads in olive for the leeches. Whenever I'm tightlining and banging bugs on the bottom, Rip Lips painted tung beads chip horribly. Whenever I coat them in a thin layer of Loon resin, they never, ever chip. With the resin on tje bead and thread wraps, it makes an indestructable fly.

Killer Kyle

Learning to whip finish without a tool will serve you well. You'd be surprised at how small a hook on which it can be done. It also helps tying with scissors in hand (at least most of the time). I wind in the opposite direction compared with most folks which drives some folks nuts watching me tie. ;)

Gil
I have been tying for a long time now. I have never owned a whip finisher, and I tie down to size 24. I have yet found a need for a tool to whip finish. A man can do it in five seconds with a tool or in six seconds by hand. I'm getting older now and my fingers ain't as nimble as they once were, but as long as my brittle old bones will hold out, I'll be whip finishing by hand and by hand alone!

Killer Kyle

A good thread base and using a soft loop to tie it down will help.

I tie EHC like I'm getting paid. Piece of cake. Know what fly whips me every time?! A Yellow Humpy. I just can't get it right and I don't know why. My Yellow Humpys turn out to look like a bowl of spaghetti with mustard. I just have never tied a good one. Every one I have tied has never been fished.

Killer Kyle

Dr. Slick makes some nice tools, but are pricey.
When I started tying I just bought the individual components.
I would get more than one bobbin,also get ones with ceramic coated tube.

Dr. Slick tools are a little pricey. I only own a pair of scissors from them, but have been using them for over two years and they are still razor sharp.

As stated previously, you really need 2 bobbins. You absolutely must ise bobbins with the ceramic tube and tips. There is no other way. You will use them FOREVER, and you will seldom ever break threads while wrapping. The kits usally come with bobbins that will break your thread every time you crank down. Buy 2 GOOD bobbins with ceramic tubes and tips, and you will only need those two for at least the next decade or more.

One tool you absolutely MUST have is a Dubbing Brush. You cannot tie many or most nymphs and streamers without one.
Go to the gun cleaning section in Wal-Mart. Find a brass cleaning brush for a .22 rifle. Should cost you about $3.00. Buy it, and that will be your dubbing brush that you can pass on to your grandchildren for generations. All it will cost you is $3.00. A .22 brass bore brush is the cheapest and most effective dubbing brush of all time.

Last edited:

sasmojoe

Dr. Slick tools are a little pricey. I only own a pair of scissors from them, but have been using them for over two years and they are still razor sharp.

As stated previously, you really need 2 bobbins. You absolutely must ise bobbins with the ceramic tube and tips. There is no other way. You will use them FOREVER, and you will seldom ever break threads while wrapping. The kits usally come with bobbins that will break your thread every time you crank down. Buy 2 GOOD bobbins with ceramic tubes and tips, and you will only need those two for at least the next decade or more.

One tool you absolutely MUST have is a Dubbing Brush. You cannot tie many or most nymphs and streamers without one.
Go to the gun cleaning section in Wal-Mart. Find a brass cleaning brush for a .22 rifle. Should cost you about $3.00. Buy it, and that will be your dubbing brush that you can pass on to your grandchildren for generations. All it will cost you is $3.00. A .22 brass bore brush is the cheapest and most effective dubbing brush of all time.

You can also make a dubbing brush from sticky side of Velcro attached to popsicle stick

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I tie EHC like I'm getting paid. Piece of cake. Know what fly whips me every time?! A Yellow Humpy. I just can't get it right and I don't know why. My Yellow Humpys turn out to look like a bowl of spaghetti with mustard. I just have never tied a good one. Every one I have tied has never been fished.
Humpys are aggravating. My main problem is getting the deer hair tied in at the right length to make the humpback and wings that are the right size.

JonathanG2013

Kyle,

What ceramic bobbins brands do you recommend?

jigman29

The guy that owns the local fly shop said not to waste your money on a uv light. He puts all his flies in the sun for a few minutes to activate the resin. I have never used it but he ties hundreds if not thousands a year to sell in his shop and online.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The guy that owns the local fly shop said not to waste your money on a uv light. He puts all his flies in the sun for a few minutes to activate the resin. I have never used it but he ties hundreds if not thousands a year to sell in his shop and online.
I'm sure that works well at night, which is when I usually wind up doing most of my tying. :)

Got me some resin and a light a couple days ago, gonna see what kind of mess I can make this weekend. I’ll probably glue myself to my vise and the dog to the floor.

JonathanG2013

I'm sure that works well at night, which is when I usually wind up doing most of my tying. :)

Got me some resin and a light a couple days ago, gonna see what kind of mess I can make this weekend. I’ll probably glue myself to my vise and the dog to the floor.

NC

If you do make sure to have your camera near by.

JonathanG2013

People that have the Griffin Odyssey Spider. Do you use the clamp that came with the vise to secure it to a table or did you buy a stand to use with it?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
People that have the Griffin Odyssey Spider. Do you use the clamp that came with the vise to secure it to a table or did you buy a stand to use with it?

I bought a stand.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Did you get the griffin vise stand?

I will look. I know I had to take a file and flatten one side to get the set screw to hold tight to the round rod.