Getting into kayak fishing, recommendations please.

Panthers65

Afternoon gents, I’d like to get into kayak fishing and wanted yalls recommendations.

I’m not a small guy, 6’1 around 225lbs. Looking to fish a bit of everything. Mainly small lakes and reservoirs (Stone Mountain, Trebbel Mill, etc) but would also like to get into fishing the rivers like the Hooch and Yellow river. I’ll also do some inshore fishing in Navarre or savannah once or twice a year, but don’t see myself ever going off shore.

I’ve got $700 on a visa gift card, but can go a bit beyond that to get set up. I like the idea of a firm foundation to build/upgrade or customize depending on where I’m fishing. Got all my basic rods and reels, but basically no kayak specific stuff, so assuming I’ll need the following:

Kayak
Pdf
Paddle
Net/holder
Kayak cart? Make it out of pvc?
??? Anything else?

So with all that said, where would you guys start? $250 wall mart kayak and customize? $550 ascend kayak from bass pro, $650 pelican/perception from academy, or something else?

Thanks in advance!

jocko755

I'd recommend finding a store hosting a paddle day where you could have to opportunity to try before you buy. There are so many elements to consider. For your size, I'd try to find something 12 ft. You also may prefer a sit on top - wider and stable. I would avoid a skinny touring kayak with a pronounce keel, it is not recommended for river current. A good seat is important. I would stick my neck out for the highest quality kayak you can afford. You get what you pay for. Nothing against Walmart kayaks, but I've had my wilderness systems for nearly 16 years. I have an old town predator too and it's solid.

Coenen

Vibe makes a solid boat, the are based in Kennesaw if you want to check them out.

NRS and MTI are two companies that make a really comfy PFD that you'll be willing to actually wear. Bending Branches, Werner, and Aquabound all make quality paddles, although some really like the Academy Magellan brand ones as well.

Upatoi Sportsman

I wouldn't start with the Walmart brands but the mid-level kayaks are good starter kayaks. I started with a perception. The only upgrade I felt I had to make to it was adding some comfortable seating but there are many mods and videos out there. My best advice is find one that suits you and get it. Don't waste a lot of time searching and debating, get out on the water.

crackerdave

I had a Mainstream "Kingfish" and it was just right for me.They aren't made under that name anymore,but it was a good,stable sit on top that gave me many good hours.It had a tri-hull design that made it stable,but not the fastest yak around.It was perfect for fishing municipal reservoirs. I made a few trips off the beach and lots of other saltwater trips in Florida with no problems.

Look at some of the kayak fishing forums,and as was said above go somewhere where you can try different boats and see what they feel like to you,or rent a few boats.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Luckily, lots of good choices in kayaks nowadays, for a starter boat, I still favor the Perception Pescador Pro in either 10' or 12'. 325 LB on the 10', 375 LB on the 12'. What they don't say much about, is that the cockpit size is the same, (seat and legroom) on either boat. The 12' offers a bit more storage, maybe stability, but also more to turn in tight spaces, heavier, and more length to store during transport.

The Perception has hull characteristics nearly identical to our Wilderness Systems, (they are owned by the same parent company, Confluence), rotomolded tough, tracks straight, the adjustable foot rests are really nice, slidetrax gear system, even their entry level seat is decent for fishing. We've had our Wilderness boats several years, and they've been on quite a few class III whitewater rides, (although that's getting a bit on the edge for these boats in terms of handling, but they are tough).
Perception Pescador Pro 10' Fishing

Academy Sports stocks the 10' at $ 749. and offers the 12' a bit higher. Best advice I ever got was to listen to the owner at Terrapin Creek Outdoor center, he said by the time you get a starter boat and outfit it the way you want, you can get the Wilderness and it has all the basics you already need, ready to go, and everything they use is just a step up in quality. This is similar for the Perception Fishing, as far as entry level boats go, I think it's the mostest for the leastest.

fish hawk

Bass Master
You can buy the Vibe yellowfin 120 for $799.00,thats a good boat for the money

weagle

The good thing is since i first started looking, about 3 years ago, the prices have come down and features have gone up for all the major brands.

After I messed around for 2 years, thinking it to death, I finally bought a Pelican Catch 100 from Academy. I like it so much I have recommended it to anyone looking for a fishing kayak. I went back and forth between the 100 and the 120. The 100 has just as much cockpit room, is a little lighter and easier to carry, load/unload. A few months ago I ran across a great deal on a Catch 120 so I bought it too to use as a loaner and also to rig out with a trolling motor and depth finder to use on the big impoundments. There's a thread in this forum about buying my first kayak and experience over the last year.

http://forum.gon.com/threads/pelican-catch-100-first-kayak.917003/

As I have said, I'm 100% happy with the Pelican Catch 100 and 120 Kayaks, but there are plenty of other Kayaks out there that are very similar and I think I would be just as happy. My only regret is over thinking it for 2 years and not buying one sooner.

Normally I would say keep an eye on the Facebook markeplace, and craigslist for used kayaks, (that's how I bought my second Pelican Catch 120 for $350) but since you have $700 you can't go wrong if you head to Academy and get one of the Pelican Catch series or Perception Pescadore Pro. The Pelican will be lighter and slightly more stable. The Perception will be slightly faster.

As far as add ons. Get a Long paddle, Academy has a 98" Magellan Flare that i love. some sort of small anchor (I use an 18" piece of heavy chain) and a PFD. And then go fishing! I started adding a milk crate and other stuff to my kayak and ended up taking it all out. Simple is better.

Teh Wicked

Bonafide is my choice of Kayak, if you can afford $999, the RS117 will do everything you mention and more. You can stand on it and fish, its light enough to move around easy. and its pretty affordable brand new. Westbrook Supply in Atlanta carries them.

I Personally have a Bonafide SS107, previously had a Vibe Sea Ghost 130, love my Bonafide and will never get rid of it. But my SS107 is a little more expensive at $1299 new. If you can find them used they are cheaper.

Anvil Head

Don't take anything out on the water with you that you can't afford to do without until you get your "sea legs". Then make sure you attach, bag, or stow everything you aren't using at the moment. Keeping it simple will make everything more enjoyable.
I've got an old school Jackson Coosa SOT that works just fine. Weighs a ton, not so well appointed as the new stuff out there, but very stable. I'm working on 70 years and still stand up to fly fish out of mine - fresh and salt. Never been a deep water fan, but love sight fishing, hence the flyrod. Lot of fish have "kissed the coosa" over the years.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
This is just my opinion but:

A comfortable seat is the most important.
A cart you can take with you on the boat
A lanyard for your paddle.
An anchor or spud pole.
A good rod holder.
A good small cooler.
Keep tackle, gear, etc. in a milk crate bungeed onto the back.

Panthers65

Thanks for the recomendations everyone. I"m seriously looking at the Vibe's now, I like the small, local Biz thing and they do seem to be a good bang for the buck. I missed out on the 2018 model closeouts, but I'm hoping they have a blem/scratch model I still might be able to pick up, going to call them today and see. Something tells me not jumping on the 2018 Sea Ghost 130's at $729 is going to come back to haunt me.

I know I'm asking a lot in my first kayak, everything from small lakes, rivers, and inshore. I appreciate everyone recomendations. One I'm still struggling with is getting out on the water and testing it. Smallest boat I've every had is a Riverhawk B60, I wouldn't have any idea what I'm looking for in a kayak on the water. I sat in a few at a place down in navarre, Vibes and Old Towns, and both seemed equally comfortable sitting in the showroom. I'm sure sitting out in the water would be different, but I feel like I wouldn't know what I don't know sort of thing...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Looks like your a good size guy. Be mindful of the capacity of the yak your considering. You and your gear should not be over 2/3 the weight capacity. If the capacity is double your weight even better.

Geffellz18

I'm very pleased with my vibe sea ghost 130 which can be picked up for around your price point noted.
Quick review of the crescent kayak site, they have some very nice looking boats. They ultra lite and lite tackle look to be very capable boats at a very good price point.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks for the recomendations everyone. I"m seriously looking at the Vibe's now, I like the small, local Biz thing and they do seem to be a good bang for the buck. I missed out on the 2018 model closeouts, but I'm hoping they have a blem/scratch model I still might be able to pick up, going to call them today and see. Something tells me not jumping on the 2018 Sea Ghost 130's at $729 is going to come back to haunt me.

I know I'm asking a lot in my first kayak, everything from small lakes, rivers, and inshore. I appreciate everyone recomendations. One I'm still struggling with is getting out on the water and testing it. Smallest boat I've every had is a Riverhawk B60, I wouldn't have any idea what I'm looking for in a kayak on the water. I sat in a few at a place down in navarre, Vibes and Old Towns, and both seemed equally comfortable sitting in the showroom. I'm sure sitting out in the water would be different, but I feel like I wouldn't know what I don't know sort of thing...
find a store that will let you demo or rent the one your thinking about purchasing for the day,Its hard to get a good feel for it sitting on the showroom floor or in a pool, join some of the brand specific facebook groups.

Last edited:

Teh Wicked

Get on Facebook and join the group Georgia Kayak Fishing, you can ask around in there and someone locally will probably have a boat you can demo. I easily found a VIbe to Demo as well as my most recent purchase, the Bonafide SS107.

GaG8tor

I second The Crescent. I’ve had two of the Splash II’s. They are tanks but very stable in big water. I’ve Striper fished the Etowah and St. Joe Bay and The Gulf. Even fished the sounds down here on the coast. They are rather heavy so you may want to consider a trailer as well.

Latest posts