Getting into re-fletching my own arrows

Thread starter #1

hambone76

The cost of re-fletching arrows has convinced me that it’s time to start doing my own arrrows. The last half dozen I had done at a shop costed me $27. I have roughly 6 or 7 dozen arrows for the various bows that I shoot, not counting my Wife’s and kid’s bows/crossbows.
I got a used jig and clamps off of eBay for a steal of a price, ordered 100 feathers and some glue for initial startup.
I started last night and got a half dozen ready to roll before bedtime. I figured that the first dozen will almost pay for the initial cost of my jig and basic supplies.
My next step is to get a crester and a dip tube/drying rack set up.
These are 2016 Autumn Hunters, four fletched, 4” shield cut left wing for my backup bow. E94BD7E2-4852-43D3-BB43-24645F712503.jpeg

Nice job. Did you buy a Bitzenburger jig ? I've been using Super glue gel for several years now and like it on Aluminum and carbon. It's easy to find fresh bottles at Big stores.

Thread starter #5

hambone76

Nice job. Did you buy a Bitzenburger jig ? I've been using Super glue gel for several years now and like it on Aluminum and carbon. It's easy to find fresh bottles at Big stores.
Thanks!

No Sir, I bought a Bohning jig.
I figured I’d start out with that one and then upgrade if I decide to continue to fletch my own.

Thread starter #8

hambone76

Thanks y’all. I’m enjoying it so far. I shot the first half dozen and they fly like darts!
I’m going to shoot broadheads on them tomorrow and see how they fly.

devolve

I’ve had a jojan multi fletcher for 20 years or so. It works fantastic and does 6 arrows at a time.
It’s always nice to be able to do things yourself and not rely on a shop. 😊

GregoryB.

It will definitely pay for its self in a short period if you shoot a lot. Started fletching my own in the early 90’s with a AZ easy fletch when I was shooting compound bows. Still have it and use it. Got a Jo Jan single fletcher around 2006 and it works great on big feathers and lots of helical. You can get some good color combos now.

Thread starter #11

hambone76

Just cranked out a few more.
Reflective yellow wraps with orange, 5” feathers.
All arrows are the same length, 4 of them have broadheads on them.
I found the wraps on eBay, price is good, it’s a US seller, he sent 4 extra wraps for free.
A82F4BE1-2D20-4351-B441-C8DB420CB39D.jpeg

With flash in pic below.
5D974A4E-9470-4339-9D70-6AC385913963.jpeg

Thread starter #13

hambone76

Nice job ! You will get addicted to building your own. It seems to add something to your hunt. Hope you bloody up a couple this year. Good luck
Thanks,
I am addicted already. I snagged 4 more Autumn Hunter 2018’s and got them fletched up the other day. Took a few shots to test them out and stay loose. 4 shots from 20 yards with the Dorado.

Attachments