Giant brook trout

lampern

There are many different strains of brook trout including strains that run into and out of the ocean

But I guess it depends on what one means by the word "strain"

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They are identical in appearance. Genetically they may be different.
Very close, but not identical. There are a few creeks around here that have wild, naturalized northern-strain brooks that were stocked back in the early 1900s after the industrial logging wiped out the natives. You can tell the difference. It's subtle, but there.
I'd like to get up there and catch some of y'alls one day.

Resica

Very close, but not identical. There are a few creeks around here that have wild, naturalized northern-strain brooks that were stocked back in the early 1900s after the industrial logging wiped out the natives. You can tell the difference. It's subtle, but there.
I'd like to get up there and catch some of y'alls one day.
I found some not so great pics I took of some brookies I caught back in May of 2014 and 15 I think. I'll post them when I get a chance. Of course the ones in the fall are much more colorful and gorgeous. I guess a lot of color depends on stream as well. Our wild ones don't get big either. Biggest I ever caught was probably 12 inches and I think it was in a mountain top beaver pond. They are kinda limited in size when they are in those freestoners. Don't fish limestoners much although we have some up near camp. but they probably can get a little bigger

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I found some not so great pics I took of some brookies I caught back in May of 2014 and 15 I think. I'll post them when I get a chance. Of course the ones in the fall are much more colorful and gorgeous. I guess a lot of color depends on stream as well. Our wild ones don't get big either. Biggest I ever caught was probably 12 inches and I think it was in a mountain top beaver pond. They are kinda limited in size when they are in those freestoners. Don't fish limestoners much although we have some up near camp. but they probably can get a little bigger
A 10" one is a giant here nowadays. They used to get a lot bigger here before water quality degradation and introduction of rainbows and browns when they lived in the mainstem streams instead of just the headwaters like they do now. When I was growing up, a lot of the old guys said that it wasn't very unusual to catch 16"-17" specks when they were growing up.

Resica

A 10" one is a giant here nowadays. They used to get a lot bigger here before water quality degradation and introduction of rainbows and browns when they lived in the mainstem streams instead of just the headwaters like they do now. When I was growing up, a lot of the old guys said that it wasn't very unusual to catch 16"-17" specks when they were growing up.
Yeah. Those browns are pretty aggressive and get bigger. Although I like wild brownies they can take a toll on those little brookies even though the brookies are aggressive too! I've caught some so small that they weren't even attached to the hook, then you have to hunt them up in the leaves, pretty easy because of all the flappin. I bet I've caught 1 inch brookies, love em!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. Those browns are pretty aggressive and get bigger. Although I like wild brownies they can take a toll on those little brookies even though the brookies are aggressive too! I've caught some so small that they weren't even attached to the hook, then you have to hunt them up in the leaves, pretty easy because of all the flappin. I bet I've caught 1 inch brookies, love em!!
The rainbows are worse than the browns for out-competing specks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We don't have many streams with wild rainbows in Pa. Sounds like that is a good thing!
They are like cockroaches here, swarming in almost every creek. They are fun to catch, but they decimate the specks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Beautiful lil fish! I like that no two trout are ever exactly alike in pattern and coloration, it's even more evident with brook trout.

Resica

Beautiful lil fish! I like that no two trout are ever exactly alike in pattern and coloration, it's even more evident with brook trout.
I think, other than the 1st one, they were summer chars. I don't believe the 1st one was during the prime time for colors. I love, stream to stream that they look different!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Did someone say giant brook trout?

2024-03-06_03-59-35-jpg.1292266

Yeah, it's cool to hook a big hatchery raised hog like that, but I consider this one to be 10,000 times a greater trophy...

FB_IMG_1709758913730.jpg

Attachments

• 2024-03-06_03-59-35.jpg
    2024-03-06_03-59-35.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 59

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member