Ginseng

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Me and doe bro planted a bunch of it from seed back 4-5 years ago. Mostly on HW ridges with E or N exposure. Now we can't remember exactly where. :O

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Me and doe bro planted a bunch of it from seed back 4-5 years ago. Mostly on HW ridges with E or N exposure. Now we can't remember exactly where. :O

One of the last times I ever dug sang with my Pap, we found a giant patch of mostly 2 prong juvenile plants. I remember roughly where it was, but I haven't gone back looking for it. That was probably 15 years ago.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On the "show" they are selling it. Is there any history of the locals using it themselves for medicinal purpose?

Yes. The older folks used it quite a bit. The Cherokee revered it too. They called it the "Little Man," or the "Mountain Climber."

greg_n_clayton

That's supposedly filmed right here where I live and have dug sang all my life. And it's the biggest crock of crap I've ever seen in my life. It doesn't work like that. None of it. The diggers, the buyers, none of it. It's one of the fakest things I've ever seen.

That moonshiner show is about as real as it gets !!
:pop:

Artfuldodger

Last night I was referencing an episode of a reality TV show and accidentally called it "Underwater Cop."
My girls laughed at me and then said; hey, that might be a good idea for a TV show."
Then they threatened to take my beer that I was drinking.

Attachments

• Underwater cop.jpg
    Underwater cop.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 430

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That moonshiner show is about as real as it gets !!
:pop:

Yeah. :bounce:

The only believable one on that whole show is Mark from Robbinsville. He's the same in real life as he is on the show. They are not making real likker on the show.

I never heard of "moonshine" until twenty years ago or so, even though generations of my family made it. Here, it was always called just "white likker," or occasionally, "blockade likker."

red neck richie

Prohibition ended in1933. Although I find it a good skill to have. Especially if the stuff hits the fan. It is cheaper and safer to buy it at the store. Do yall know what copper is selling for right now? You cant make a living off of it same as sing. Its a good hobby but yall wont get rich.

Last edited:

Stroker

Yeah. :bounce:

The only believable one on that whole show is Mark from Robbinsville. He's the same in real life as he is on the show. They are not making real likker on the show.

I never heard of "moonshine" until twenty years ago or so, even though generations of my family made it. Here, it was always called just "white likker," or occasionally, "blockade likker."

When I was a young boy down here daddy and my uncles always called it "corn liquor" or "white lighting". I'll never forget going with him to pick some up one time, pulled up into a driveway behind a county sheriffs car, he went up to the front door and a deputy came out, opened the trunk and handed him a couple of jugs. I was maybe 8-10 years old at the time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a young boy down here daddy and my uncles always called it "corn liquor" or "white lighting". I'll never forget going with him to pick some up one time, pulled up into a driveway behind a county sheriffs car, he went up to the front door and a deputy came out, opened the trunk and handed him a couple of jugs. I was maybe 8-10 years old at the time.

Yep, corn likker is one of the old terms, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Prohibition ended in1933. Although I find it a good skill to have. Especially if the stuff hits the fan. It is cheaper and safer to buy it at the store. Do yall know what copper is selling for right now? You cant make a living off of it same as sing. Its a good hobby but yall wont get rich.

You can't buy white likker at the store. You can buy some that says "moonshine" on the label, but it certainly tastes absolutely nothing like the real stuff.

Artfuldodger

To me the real stuff taste like a smooth tequila. I don't know if it's suppose to or just what my nose picks up. Also that's not a bad thing either.