Give me some healthy eating options please

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bread and taters are my Achilles heel. I lovelovelove both of them.

As others have said, burning off more than you take in is what it's about. My grandpa probably ate umpteen thousands of calories a day. Huge southern breakfast, dinner, and supper every day, full of fried stuff, bread, cane syrup, homemade butter, and taters. But, he worked in the fields from daylight to dark, and stayed skinny as a rail. Grandma ate the same stuff and was fat as a hog.

TJay

If I pull back from alcohol and starch I will lose weight and feel better but the alcohol is a habit that kicks in around 4:30 in the afternoon and it's tough ignore. Usually I've done everything I'm going to do by 4:30 and me and the wife will either get in the pool (which usually translates into a couple of 16oz beers) and/or sit in the screen porch and have a few while we chat. If I smoke a cigar that (like yesterday) I will drink more than usual. It's habitual and it's a hard one to break.

pop pop jones

I agree with the staying busy part of the equation, but one thing for sure at least for me..... the older I get the more watching what I eat is part of the equation. I could split wood all day and not burn off near the calories I did in earlier years.

I'm just impressed you can split wood all day. Heck, I'm not sure I'd care about anything else. I wish I was that healthy.

pop pop jones

If you can grill it, or smoke it, don't even think about frying it again. It'll make a big difference.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Me and my wife are doing our best to eat better. We both have neglected ourselves for way too long and I'm approaching my mid 40s. It's past time to get a hold of my eating habits. 2 years ago I lost 90 lbs and I gained 80 of it back. I've been doing pretty good lately and have shed about 20 of it back off. I'm tired of eating grilled chicken and salad though. ... We both really love shrimp but I've never really tried cooking it on the grill . What's yalls favorite method keeping it healthy to eat. All other suggestions are welcome.

I skewer and us salt and pepper. Cook till the flesh turns translucent and veins and tail turn red. If you have a griddle you can cook them on it too. Don't over cook.20190810_174046-800x600.jpg20190726_190437-800x600.jpg20190726_184321_HDR-800x600.jpg

GeorgiaBob

A lot of good advice on here already. My suggestions include:

Cut back on wheat, as much as you can. (it is in so much, eliminating wheat is almost impossible.)

Do NOT use artificial sweeteners. They will leave you hungry and they have been associated with lots of bad things (senile dementia, blood pressure issues, stroke, and even cancers).

Bake or grill, do not fry as often. This has just as much to do with food nutrition as it does the added oil!

Cut back on dairy. Again, eliminating milk, cheese, and butter is not practical, but you can reduce total intake and that can make a difference.

Do not worry too much about eating meat. Unless your doctor says you have a problem that requires you to cut out beef, deer, pig, mutton, and all the other tasty animals - I suggest you keep eating them and just reduce portion size.

There are a lot of alternatives to processed cane sugar. Substitute honey, maple sugar, or fruit juice for some of the sugar you have been using.

Eat snacks with protein and a little fat. It will stave off hunger, and help maintain energy levels.

Don't eat late at night.

Drink lots of water.

Walk more.

Find something to do that makes you sweat - a lot - for at least half an hour, and do it 4, or more, days a week.

Don't be afraid to eat food that tastes good! Fresh is better, but most things (in moderation) are OK.

The issue you need to resolve is a balance between healthy exercize and an appropriate amount of healthy food that you enjoy. Good luck!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Losing it ain't that hard, I had made up mine to do it. Keeping it off is a different story, but thankfully I have. Went from 252 to 187. I want to stay around 195.
250 is my next goal when I start back on diet...just after fresh tomatoes and corn season ends (those are my krytonite). Would love to see 220 again but doubt that's possible. I felt my best then and was the "enegizer bunny"...on my feet 20 hours a day seven days a week.

ryork

I'm just impressed you can split wood all day. Heck, I'm not sure I'd care about anything else. I wish I was that healthy.

Well.... meant that I could do it all day and not shed the pounds like I used to. Actually doing it all day now would like be a different story altogether..... and if I managed to do it the next day would be rough!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Get a vegetable sprializer. You can make noodles out of squash and zucchini, and then dress them with red sauce, white sauce or just EVO and spices. Great side dish for about anything, and if you go light on the sauce, then very health, too.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Have you discovered riced cauliflower? Stuff is awesome for lower carbs. We stir fry it with scallops and shrimp for a low carb option.

I actually prefer it to rice now.

They have tater tots too..they do have some carbs in them but they’re very good.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Wife makes a cauliflower dish you’d swear is mashed taters. Substitutes like that help.

brownceluse

I did Paleo for a little over a year and CrossFit during the same time! I lost 80 pounds. I’ll never do CrossFit again but the Paleo diet is my favorite. If you have a sweet tooth you can feed it with fruit. I also ate every two hours to speed up my metabolism. Unfortunately I’ve put all my weight and then some back on but after your post and being in the same age group I’m starting tomorrow back on Paleo.

Reactions: Dub

TJay

One of the big problems for my wife and I is that we usually wind up eating between 7 and 8 in the evening. If we eat a pretty good meal at around 2:30 in the afternoon I am not hungry at all in the evening and if I do get a little hungry I can just eat a bowl of cereal. If we could get on a schedule of eating earlier I'm sure that would be beneficial.

stringmusic

Me and my wife are doing our best to eat better. We both have neglected ourselves for way too long and I'm approaching my mid 40s. It's past time to get a hold of my eating habits. 2 years ago I lost 90 lbs and I gained 80 of it back. I've been doing pretty good lately and have shed about 20 of it back off. I'm tired of eating grilled chicken and salad though. ... We both really love shrimp but I've never really tried cooking it on the grill . What's yalls favorite method keeping it healthy to eat. All other suggestions are welcome.
Blackened chicken and fish and shrimp and about anything is really good of you like that. Shrimp and grits is a good meal.

Also most fish any way but fried is good for ya. I like it “Asian glazed”. Lots of deer and turkey meat. Roast with carrots poured over rice is good too.

Chili, white chicken chili are also good meals.

I try to keep my portions small and I usually only eat between about 10am and 6-7pm

I’m 6ft 1-2 and at my heaviest weighed about 208-210. I’m down to 187-188 right now with just a diet change and exercising about 20 mins 2-4 days a week.

stringmusic

Blackened chicken and fish and shrimp and about anything is really good of you like that. Shrimp and grits is a good meal.

Also most fish any way but fried is good for ya. I like it “Asian glazed”. Lots of deer and turkey meat. Roast with carrots poured over rice is good too.

Chili, white chicken chili are also good meals.

I try to keep my portions small and I usually only eat between about 10am and 6-7pm

I’m 6ft 1-2 and at my heaviest weighed about 208-210. I’m down to 187-188 right now with just a diet change and exercising about 20 mins 2-4 days a week.
I’ve also found that the best way to eat healthy is to stay out of restaurants as much as possible.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One of the big problems for my wife and I is that we usually wind up eating between 7 and 8 in the evening. If we eat a pretty good meal at around 2:30 in the afternoon I am not hungry at all in the evening and if I do get a little hungry I can just eat a bowl of cereal. If we could get on a schedule of eating earlier I'm sure that would be beneficial.
If I ate supper like some folks at 5:00 PM or so, I would be eating second supper before I went to bed. I never understood the 5 oclock supper idea. Then, I grew up on a farm, and you usually ate supper about dark.