Glock Handgun Preference

dslc6487

I know this is a loaded question and I know that the preference of "generation" of the Glock hand gun is person specific depending on many things.
I have several Glock handguns, all of them are Generaton 1, with the exception of the Glock 43 9mm. I am planning on having a "gun safe cleaning" within the next few weeks and I will be putting some of them up for sale. Is the Generation 1 still a sought after gun, or, has the other generations of the Glock made them less
desirable. Any input will be appreciated...

Dub

Hard to say.

I know guys at work who tried to flip nearly new Gen4 models to fund other guns and wound up getting about 1/2 what they had in them.

Gun sales can be odd. You may very well run into folks who prefer Gen1 over all the rest.

Glocktalk.com is good resource to get further opinions....

transfixer

I know this is a loaded question and I know that the preference of "generation" of the Glock hand gun is person specific depending on many things.
I have several Glock handguns, all of them are Generaton 1, with the exception of the Glock 43 9mm. I am planning on having a "gun safe cleaning" within the next few weeks and I will be putting some of them up for sale. Is the Generation 1 still a sought after gun, or, has the other generations of the Glock made them less
desirable. Any input will be appreciated...

Depending on what you would like to get out of them they might be hard to move, I've noticed certain Gen3 models are slow to move, and I hardly ever see a Gen2 up for sale anymore, do some comparison shopping on the trader sites, Armlist, OTD, etc, see if any are listed and for how much, and how long they've been up for sale. I know the bottom has fallen out of the .40 market, due to the FBI going back to 9mil and a lot of internet rumors,, which doesn't make sense to me, the only drawback to a .40 is stiffer recoil than a 9mil, which comes from better ballistics. But you can't hardly give away a .40 right now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on what you would like to get out of them they might be hard to move, I've noticed certain Gen3 models are slow to move, and I hardly ever see a Gen2 up for sale anymore, do some comparison shopping on the trader sites, Armlist, OTD, etc, see if any are listed and for how much, and how long they've been up for sale. I know the bottom has fallen out of the .40 market, due to the FBI going back to 9mil and a lot of internet rumors,, which doesn't make sense to me, the only drawback to a .40 is stiffer recoil than a 9mil, which comes from better ballistics. But you can't hardly give away a .40 right now.
I’m keeping mine. I like the .40

TomC

Head over to the ODT and search for Gen 1's to get a good idea what they going for and the site is also a great place to sell as well as the classified here. ODT is a very active site but you still don't see many Gen 1's so do some research. I've owned most of the Glock 9's and 40's and sold quite a few both and yes 40's are hard to sell primarily because 9mm ammo is SOO much better than it use to be. Kind of like turkey hunting ammo, just no need to tote a 12 gauge anymore! GLWS!

transfixer

I’m keeping mine. I like the .40

I won't part with my 23, but I have a XDM compact in .40 I decided to let go, in favor of picking up another Glock, and I could have sold it 10 times if it were a 9mil, all I get are the typical responses, nah,, I stay away from .40's ,,,,

As a side note, my stepson is a deputy, his department started changing back over to 9mil about a year or so ago, previously the issue weapon was a G22, or G23, he asked his lieutenant when he was going to get a new 17, he told him no time soon, we're giving the first 17's to the deputies that can't shoot,,, I thought that was sorta funny,, but also pretty revealing. If you master shooting a handgun, it shouldn't matter what caliber it is, especially when they're all the same frame and trigger.

transfixer

Head over to the ODT and search for Gen 1's to get a good idea what they going for and the site is also a great place to sell as well as the classified here. ODT is a very active site but you still don't see many Gen 1's so do some research. I've owned most of the Glock 9's and 40's and sold quite a few both and yes 40's are hard to sell primarily because 9mm ammo is SOO much better than it use to be. Kind of like turkey hunting ammo, just no need to tote a 12 gauge anymore! GLWS!

True , bullet design is better than it used to be, but that goes for .40's also, the .40 was superior in energy to the 9 before, and with bullets on the lighter end of the scale, a lot faster than the 9 also, with the newer bullet designs, its still superior to the 9mil, in virtually every aspect, except recoil.

Mtn lover

i wouldn't trade my old Glock gen1 10mm for anything. 15 rounds of hopped up 40 cal. bullets can handle anything including bears. Plus for some reason I can just hit with it.
Good Luck

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I won't part with my 23, but I have a XDM compact in .40 I decided to let go, in favor of picking up another Glock, and I could have sold it 10 times if it were a 9mil, all I get are the typical responses, nah,, I stay away from .40's ,,,,

As a side note, my stepson is a deputy, his department started changing back over to 9mil about a year or so ago, previously the issue weapon was a G22, or G23, he asked his lieutenant when he was going to get a new 17, he told him no time soon, we're giving the first 17's to the deputies that can't shoot,,, I thought that was sorta funny,, but also pretty revealing. If you master shooting a handgun, it shouldn't matter what caliber it is, especially when they're all the same frame and trigger.
Yep. Love my 23. If you can't handle the recoil of a .40, I don't know what to say, except you need to grow stronger in order to face life in general. It's not very noticeable to me. I can shoot it one-handed all day.

frankwright

The big draw of the Gen 1's have faded since Glock is now producing guns without the finger grooves.
The 40 is a hard sell right now, police trade in .40 caliber Glocks are to be found on almost every website and store and more and more police agencies are getting away from the .40 caliber.
Good Luck on your sale!

strothershwacker

I don't even know what gen it is but I have a glock 36. It's. 45 auto. Lightweight. Packs easy. I shoot hornady +p defense rounds in it. It ain't worth much but it ain't for sale either! ?

Tom W.

I had three Gen 4 Glocks, a 17, a 19 and a 30. I shot to 17 the best, followed by the 19, and never could get the 30 to hit what I was aiming at. After my chemo I couldn't hit anything with Amy one of them and ended up with a Ruger LC9S Pro and a CZ 75 SP-01.
Nothing wrong with the Gen 4 Glocks at all.
Well, maybe I got a lemon with the .45.....