Go pro alternatives?

leftystar

Have any of you guys used a go pro knock off? I don't mind buying a go pro just wondering if there any other cameras out there that yall had good luck with and maybe cheaper.

shdw633

I've got this one and it takes really good video, no complaints so far.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1PXGR6/ref=dp_prsubs_1

I have two that are very similar to that, love that it has the wrist watch remote button, I put one on my scope and one on my stand facing me. I also have a lid cam that I use while hunting that I really like and this year added a camera that is in my shooting glasses. I prefer the older lid cams because they have a zoom lenses which is great when you are gun hunting.

Gunnar75

I have one similar, works great and for under $50.00 its great. I haven't used it on my bow or rifle yet just playing around with the kids but it does very well.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Does it come with any type of mounting brackets. If not what do you use?
It came with everything in the picture, but I also bought an accessory kit for $15 to $20 that had a headband and chest harness mount and a ton of other things.

Attachments

• 81FQjOW+ZOL._SL1500_.jpg
    81FQjOW+ZOL._SL1500_.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 13

patcavscout

I have a GoPro Session 5 it's still GoPro but it's a bit smaller and different. I've looked into the Garmin Virb Kit as it will work with my watch. I have a cheap Vivitar 789 as well. It's just OK. It was $40 at BestBuy (It's also at Academy.)but it takes video that is fine but the Mic sucks. You get a decent amount of accessories with it too that probably come to $20 by themselves. I made a video about it unboxing it and shooting some footage with it:

patcavscout

Your probably right. This is a universal fit for most of these cameras?

Yes, it's either a three or two pronged connecter that interlocks. Some action cameras use a standard 1/4 - 20 camera thread but there are adapters for that too. The Vivitar I have in the video came with one and I also have an accessory kit that has some adaptors too. It's this one: https://ebay.to/2BSBSvq

Last edited:

Ghost G

You really need to check out the Tactacam line of hunting cameras. https://www.tactacam.com/ You can actually see the game you are hunting and it's really simple to use when in a hunting situation. One touch and it's on. Remote is available too.

shdw633

You really need to check out the Tactacam line of hunting cameras. https://www.tactacam.com/ You can actually see the game you are hunting and it's really simple to use when in a hunting situation. One touch and it's on. Remote is available too.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair:

patcavscout

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair::hair:

Eh, It's not so bad compared to other action cameras like a GoPro Hero 5 and a Garmin Virb which also can do 4K 30fps like the Tactacam 5.0. Besides, like everything else you can find them cheaper from Amazon and eBay on auction and used/refurbished. One thing to remember is just because a cheap camera says it's 4k or 1080p doesn't mean the picture quality will be as good as a cheaper camera with the same specs. I also have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and it take better video at 1080p30 than the Vivitar which is a quarter of the price. Maybe this weekend I can try and shoot some footage with both of them side by side and show what I mean.

barongan

an interesting question. I too was looking for it
o.png

patcavscout

Here is the kit I was talking about. I finally got around to uploading it.

Last edited:

leftystar

I ordered 2 and I'm happy with them. I was about 45 secs out of battery when I walked up on & shot a hog at flat tub with my muzzle loader . I was super stoke about watching it then I looked at the camera and seen it was dead and when I went back and viewed it all i needed was 45 secs lol.

patcavscout

I'm looking at the shotkam. NOW THATS EXPENSIVE! $650 - 700. But it's pretty much suited for using with shotguns. Although I'm thinking of that tactacam for bow and rifle. I used my gopro this weekend on the dove opener and not only was the detail of the footage subpar but I got seasick going back and reviewing the footage for editing. That shot kam apparently makes the editing easy for you because it only saves the shots and nothing else.

patcavscout

Update: I found out you can take a GoPro Hero 2018 model and upgrade it to a Hero 5 with a firmware patch. They are the same camera except the Hero 2018 is $100 cheaper. It has crippled software that only allows recording in 1080 and 1440 whereas the Hero5 can do higher resolutions and frame rates.