Go to a Cheap College — or None at All

NOYDB

All industry pays the same gvmt costs, except those that pay off regulators. That has nothing to do with what they pay workers. If you need a worker you pay what it costs to hire a gender studies graduate and charge what you think you need to be in business.

jdgator

I won't hire a software developer or systems engineer who hasn't gone to college and learned the mathematical and theoretical stuff. You need to understand complexity, big O notation, discrete structures, etc if you want to create software that performs at scale. On the other hand I avoid the graduates of elite schools because I don't want to deal with the arrogance or the attitude. The graduates from D1 state schools provide the best bang for the buck.

bullgator

The government should only give student loans in proportion to the job opportunities for the specific degree program. That means things like "gender studies" won't get any student loan money because there are no job opportunities for that degree program.
Sounds great until the liberals twist it around and fund all the wrong stuff.

mguthrie

All industry pays the same gvmt costs, except those that pay off regulators. That has nothing to do with what they pay workers. If you need a worker you pay what it costs to hire a gender studies graduate and charge what you think you need to be in business.
You have no earthly clue. You've never owned a business. Crawl back in you're cave

mguthrie

I am not so sure that industry does not want to pay. You ad up all the thieving and regs Gov. puts on a company to to operate legally there ain't always a whole lot left. Sure you could charge more for the product or service but you may price yourself out of the market. Lower Regulations, workers comp rates, insurance requirements, taxes taxes taxes and maybee industry could pay a little more. But heck what do I know I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!
Well you hit the nut on the head. Workers Comp is nuts. I've downsized to 1,12 man framing crew. Payroll runs $1600/ day. My comp rate,which is fairly low for a framer runs 25%. NOYDB. How would you like to get up every morning knowing you have to make 2 grand before you get to make a dollar. You are nothing more than a keyboard koyboy

NOYDB

I stated college as a chemistry major but decided that I didn't want to wash test tubes for a living so I changed my major to computer science, which is one of my degrees. I also took all my requirements to get my general studies degree which is another that I have.
If a student can't decide, I suggest they get their general studies requirements first then choose a major.

I took all the math in high school so I was able to concentrate on my chemistry then my computer degree.

A lot depends on who is heading up the department on how well it's being taught.

NOYDB

Well you hit the nut on the head. Workers Comp is nuts. I've downsized to 1,12 man framing crew. Payroll runs $1600/ day. My comp rate,which is fairly low for a framer runs 25%. NOYDB. How would you like to get up every morning knowing you have to make 2 grand before you get to make a dollar. You are nothing more than a keyboard koyboy
But so does your competition.

If you can't do math. There is help available.

ugajay

This country truly needs a labor pool for MANY specific fields. The problem is Americans don't want to WORK. The agriculture and construction industry depends on immigrant labor. That's pretty freekin sad.
Yep. A friend and I were putting in new tiles in a ceiling in a laundromat in eatonton a couple years ago. Trying to get the you know what out, I offered $25 an hour for help to finish the job (3-4 hours). Not a soul would help. Surprised me. Then again, most had grown up not expecting to have to do anything

NOYDB

Back in the early 70s I worked for janitorial firm. He paid for the job by the building. An office building would pay 3 hours, if it was done in 45 minutes, you still got paid for three hours. I used to make 9 hours pay after school. Usually completed work in less than 3 hours. Hard to get people because the pay rate was quoted at minimum.

NOYDB

Big7

Hmmm,4 yrs and $40,000 and you to can work up front at a car rental place. SWEET!!!
Don't knock it. My (stepson) did just that. He got a four year degree at George Southern. Went to work with Enterprise at 23, he was recruited by Sunbelt Rentals. He is a big dog in a big pond knocking down 6 figures before he turned 30. New truck every year. His choice. All insurance paid and he is doing very well.

Americans want to work. Industry doesn't want to pay.
Yep. A friend and I were putting in new tiles in a ceiling in a laundromat in eatonton a couple years ago. Trying to get the you know what out, I offered $25 an hour for help to finish the job (3-4 hours). Not a soul would help. Surprised me. Then again, most had grown up not expecting to have to do anything
This is where I'm at. Is $25 an hr not enough money to get you out of bed and to the job on time. I may pick you up if it ain't too far out of the way but be walkin out the door as I'm pulling in. All I need for you to be able to do is read a tape measure(correctly), drive a nail with a hammer(every once in a while), pop a line, hold a board and bring me materials as I need them....I wish I made $25 an hr when I got started. Americans don't want to work anymore if a little sweat is involved. Period. Of course, thats just my opinion since I'm in the business an all.

I like your plan. Subsidize only the things you want more of. Low on doctors and engineers? Give loans out for that.

I'm a big proponent of trade schools. I wish my son would've taken that path, instead of taking 7 years to finish his 4 years of college. and having the associated debt to go with it. He'll be hampered by that debt for the next 10 years. If he'd gone to a trade school, we'd been out it 2 years, no loans, and would be making more than he is right now, 4 years out.
My wife has two master & a doctorate in a useful field. I did two years of tech and went to work debt free. It's great if there's no pictures she'll read for me.

hopper

Don't knock it. My (stepson) did just that. He got a four year degree at George Southern. Went to work with Enterprise at 23, he was recruited by Sunbelt Rentals. He is a big dog in a big pond knocking down 6 figures before he turned 30. New truck every year. His choice. All insurance paid and he is doing very well.
Not knocking it. Just seems like alot of time and risk for for not alot of reward for alot of kids. Congrats on your son's success.

NOYDB

Job is what you make of it. Everyone has to start somewhere. Doesn't mean they have to end there.

After I partyed my way out of a senior ranking millatry college and went to work things started to fall into place. The happiest day of my life was the day I rented a 12 wide to a college graduate for 125.00 a week

Big7

Not knocking it. Just seems like alot of time and risk for for not alot of reward for alot of kids. Congrats on your son's success.
Thanks! Really not much cheap about it. He had some grants and was a good kid in high school. First semester, he stayed in a dorm. After that, he HAD to have a house so him and 3 more guys got a house complete with cable and utilities. That's when it got a little expensive.
His biological father was a dead beat dad. He still is.
Never spent a dime on him. Then he wanted to go to graduation. Son told him no. He's in bad health and needs money and all that crap. Son told him he didn't have no use for him and to not call him. I doubt he will will even go to his funeral.

Last edited: