Gobbler with hens

Ugahunter2013

I know this scenario has been covered a million times. I have had fairly good luck taking a gobbler from hens when i CAN see them. The times I have been able to, I got extremely aggressive on the calls. Although it took a while, i had a visual on the gobbler the entire time, he eventually came to me.

My question is what do yall like to do when you can NOT see the gobbler or hens??? As we know generally our calling, etc is dictated by what we see or hear from the gobblers, but it seems like more often than not i end up in a situation where i cant see the gobbler or hens but know they are together. What is the best approach to take then? When you are say 75-100 ish yards away with no visual? I know coming back later is always a good idea, but i dont really have the luxary to just pack up and go after another one. Thanks

JHannah92

If the hen is answering my calls, I start talking to her. If she gets aggressive, so do I. I've called in a few gobblers just by making the hen mad. She'll come looking for me and he'll be right behind her.

Ugahunter2013

If the hen is answering my calls, I start talking to her. If she gets aggressive, so do I. I've called in a few gobblers just by making the hen mad. She'll come looking for me and he'll be right behind her.

Ive tried that. Seems i can always get the hen to come to me when she is alone. Typically with a gobbler when she hears what she thinks is another hen, she high tails the opposite direction.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I guess we all need to learn the hen language. They make so many sounds. Some we can barely hear.
The gobbler can hear it. They make a lot of different tones as well.

nick_o_demus

If you're hunting a flock or group then I think this is where you might play to the dominant nature of the hens. If you have a call that is suppose to mimic a young hen, maybe try to be a little more aggressive toward them with it. OR on the opposite side of the spectrum, and still early enough in the spring, try to hit her with a kee kee. See if she'll lead her flock toward you. You might also, if nothing else, revert back to the techniques that worked when you could see them.

Just my two cents.

DRBugman85

Go where the birds are going I have set up as many as 10 place to get ahead of where the flock is heading.No decoy,no blind...And if I'm lucky by God grace BOOM

Latest posts