Going to plant Monday - question...

sowgabuckstalker

I am planting a blend w/ crimson clover (and maybe another type in there), Wheat, BFO, rape, & rye.

Should I over seed w/ more clover? Throw some turnips in? Thanks as always for advice. Good luck w/ your plots! Praying for rain and cooler weather!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Just depends on how many pounds of each you plan to plant. Planting too thick (assuming we get lots of rain), can be a problem too. With the dry weather we're having, I think I would wait and see what kind of germination you get and if we get a cool/cold snap. Some seeds will germinate at a lower (soil) temperature than others.

Cool season seed.JPG
PH rates.JPG

Canuck5

Turnips will prefer a 45+ degree soil temperature

Canuck5

LOL, I will not brag on my dancing skills ....... I do copy & paste, well, though!

sowgabuckstalker

With this being said, I have never planted this late and this close to gun opener. This shouldnt hurt me opening weekend should it? Just going to plant Monday and stay out till The weekend.

Canuck5

With fresh dirt, your plots will have lots of deer tracks in them.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
With this being said, I have never planted this late and this close to gun opener. This shouldnt hurt me opening weekend should it? Just going to plant Monday and stay out till The weekend.

Look at it this way, hunting over dust - a new adventure!:bounce:

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
The wheat will be the first to germinate.(7-14 days) The clover will take 14- 21 with proper moisture and soil temp.You can always over seed in 3 weeks if you don,t get enough germination.

sowgabuckstalker

Or should I just wait a week or 2, I could. Was hoping to Monday because I am off work, but I could just plan to HUNT instead :) plant later on.

Dbender

I'd hunt, plant later after we get rain. Nothings going to be up by next wknd if your planning to sit on a foodplot, regardless if you plant or wait. You planting foodplots during season won't affect the hunting in the least little bit.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Planted today! Had the day so had to do it, hard time to find time, daddy of one 16 month old and another on the way :)

All the best to y’all and thanks for the input as always. We do have great chances of rainy the next few days ????
Better slow down a little big boy. You'll be changing diapers all the time, instead of shooting at turkeys. lol

And congrats

Latest posts