Going west roll call

Stonewall 2

Well less than 2 weeks from heading to SD. Found a friend that wants to go and is going to drive out and is going to take my dog (thanks for the suggestions guys!), picked up the last of the gear for my son yesterday. Can’t wait to get out there and hunt with my dad my son good friends and last but not least my dog! Will definitely post some pics up when we get out there.

Attachments

• 38B0DA7F-4CDD-4EEF-8E02-43F208C6E44A.jpeg
    38B0DA7F-4CDD-4EEF-8E02-43F208C6E44A.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 2

Jetjockey

Since I live near Denver, what you guys call West, I call going East! ?. This will be the first year I’ve been able to hunt opening weekend with my retired trial dog, and so can’t wait. I’m planning on cutting my elk trip 3 days early so i can hit the pheasant opener in NE. Once CO and KS open, I’ll probably target Western KS since it seems their birds numbers look good again. Rumor is that CO quail will be way down, and pheasants might be down slightly. Since I can hunt CO, NE, and KS all within three hours of my house, the world is my oyster!

nrh0011

Since I live near Denver, what you guys call West, I call going East! ?. This will be the first year I’ve been able to hunt opening weekend with my retired trial dog, and so can’t wait. I’m planning on cutting my elk trip 3 days early so i can hit the pheasant opener in NE. Once CO and KS open, I’ll probably target Western KS since it seems their birds numbers look good again. Rumor is that CO quail will be way down, and pheasants might be down slightly. Since I can hunt CO, NE, and KS all within three hours of my house, the world is my oyster!

well ain't that just a geographical oddity...

You picked the right region to settle down it seems.

Jetjockey

well ain't that just a geographical oddity...

You picked the right region to settle down it seems.

When I grew up in WA, all anyone had was bird dogs. When I moved to GA I started to hear people talk about wild bird dogs vs pen raised birds dogs. To me, it was a strange theory since bird dogs were bird dogs. But I did learn that there were some bird dogs who had seen a lot of birds, but none of them were wild. Being back out West has been a wonderful refresher in the fact that bird dogs are bird dogs again. We dont have wild bird dogs or pen raised bird dogs. All we have is bird dogs. Why? Because we have lots of land with lots of wild birds to hunt, and very very few released bird preserves. I do LOVE being out West again, where the toughest decision is what kind of birds to hunt and where to hunt them. Btw. My buddies said the sharp tail and hun hunting was tough in MT this year, but my trainer said SD pheasant numbers were looking up. A couple thunderstorms may have made upland hunting certain parts of CO rough this year.

Killinstuff

MT was fine this year but yeah, some guys had trouble. Just like fishing where 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen, 90% of the birds are killed by 10% of the hunters. I had plenty of birds every day for 10 straight days and never hunted the same place twice. Just have to figure things out is all.

deerslayer357

Headed to South Dakota in 34 days myself, 2 labs, and a friend

deerslayer357

Thanks! Been to ND twice and KS twice, this is my first trip to SoDak.

Was a trip my dad and I were planning before he passed in July. He went to ND and KS once each with me these past two years

deerslayer357

Sorry for your loss, I'm sure yall made some great memories afield on those trips!

We did make some great memories on those trips and other smaller ones. Days afield with friends and family make memories that are cherished for a long time.

I am looking forward to my trip- going up around Aberdeen. Anybody got any reports from that area this year?

Fishin & Hunting

Brother injured his foot. SD hunt has been put off till December 15. Going to a cold hunt,.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m going to try my best to go to Kansas next year. Hope my puppy will be ready.
Jeff

Killinstuff

The Setter turned a year old last Saturday and handles pheasants, quail, grouse, woodcock, sharptails and huns really well. 9 months old and on they should be more then OKon birds. Get your pup on birds as soon as you can. "Ready" or not in your mind, take the dog hunting. He will figure it out. Good luck.

nrh0011

Just got back from Kansas. Pheasant numbers seemed down, but we ran into quite a bit of quail. Enjoyed getting to hunt with a new dog and I'm anxious to tune her up for next year. 20181110_173958_1000x700.jpgreceived_793058191038504_1000x700.jpegreceived_1996176560469295_1_1000x700.jpeg