Goliath Grouper

coveyrise

Went out to a reef off of dog island on monday to try to catch a few snapper. Fish marked like crazy but when you hooked up the Goliath Grouper would grab your fish and take off. Couldn’t catch a thing with those things around. Thought I had one turned toward the boat but he said not today and cut me off. Man those things are powerful.

brriner

Were you over Rose Reef? One More Time? LOL They're all over the place over there now. I've got an acquaintance who fished off of St. George Island about 2 weeks ago when snapper first opened back up. He said they had to fish for 2 hours to catch their limit because just about every one they hooked up on ANY of his marks were getting grabbed by the GG on the way up.

Rabun

We ran in the them off the coast of cape San Blas last week too. Hook line sinker and fish... Once they start keying in on your catch you might as well find a new place. Thought I read where they were looking at harvest tags for GG? I think it's time...they own the reefs they inhabit.

coveyrise

We were on a reef that me and some old captains built 30 years ago out of old shipping containers. All of my old man made reefs have GG on them. Didn’t seem as bad 2 months ago. At least we could get a few fish to the top. Now they are everywhere. We moved over to the smokehouse area and caught the heck out of 20 inche grouper but no keepers.
I fish at least one day a week down there and have yet to see ANY birds diving in bait or any top water action. This is a weird year!
Not getting many knock downs from kings or spainish either.
Have any of you landed a GG?

swamp hunter

I've landed about 500 Hundred of them.
From 1 pound to about 250 lbs. If their any bigger I just break them off..or they do..
Like a Tank.
I'm in the Nursery area for them. 10 Thousand Islands is right down the street and that's the Spawning Grounds.
Ate many of them growing up...might still do...