Good books you have enjoyed reading.

If you like good detective mysteries and such, the Jo Nesbo series is edge of your seat suspense. The move "The Snowman" was from this series, a little too much blood and guts but the books are great.

Backlasher82

Carl Hiassen writes hilarious books about Florida but I think he just reads the local news stories and turns them into novels. Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger series, including the books about his Dad- Earl Swagger.

All of Greg Isles books, especially the Penn Cage and Natchez Burning series.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hemmingway is a great writer...………...lol.....I've got on my Captain Tony's t shirt on...……..his Key West hangout....they tore out a wall and made it bigger....ruint it...

hayseed_theology

Hill Country: Stories about Hunting and Fishing and Dogs and Guns and Such by Gene Hill

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor

Glock: The Rise of America's Gun by Paul M. Barrett

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

DannyW

The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark. Great book about teaching a kid to hunt and fish....

Glad someone finally mentioned this one...maybe one of the greatest books on hunting and the outdoors ever written. Or is it a book on philosophy? Who knows...but it is in a class of it's own. Plus it has a sequel...The Old Man's Boy Grows Older. Enjoy.

For outdoor humor...Patrick McManus. For African adventure...Peter Capstick. Or Craig Boddington among modern day African writers. For North American hunting try Jack O'Connor.

That list should keep you busy for a year or longer. And we have not even touched on Charles Elliot, Elmer Keith or Gene Hill.

Reactions: Dub

ConnaMo

Anything Gary Paulsen... If you love the outdoors you'll love 'Brian's Return'.... It is my favorite of the Hatchet series

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I read pretty much constantly. There have been some good recommendations. A couple off the top of my head that I didn't notice mentioned yet that I would add to the list:

Jim Corbett's Maneaters of Kumaon and the rest of his books-Jim was the real deal who hunted down dozens of maneating tigers and leopards in India in the early 1900s that had killed hundreds and hundreds of people.

Robert Ruark's Horn of the Hunter

Hemingway's Men without Women, Islands in the Stream, and The Green Hills of Africa

Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac

John Lawson's A New Voyage To Carolina-great read for anyone who is interested in the history of the Southeast back in colonial times. Same with The Travels of William Bartram.

If you like post-apocolyptic stuff, Robert Adam's Horseclans series is great.

Backlasher82

I haven't seen Lee Child listed yet but all of his Jack Reacher books are good.

He also participated in a compilation book with the Thriller Writers. It takes 2 writers and pairs their famous characters together in short stories. And it pairs male and female writers. It introduced me to some writers I wasn't familiar with, very well done. The name is Matchup and it's edited by Child so it was listed under his name.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Tim Dorsey, Laurence Shames and Carl Hiassen write/wrote some hilarious novels set usually in Florida. Fantasy novels by David Eddings( The Belgariad and Mallorean sets are my favorites), Ben Rehder writes the "Blanco County Mysteries" with a Game Warden as the main character. I've gotten hooked on the KIndle unlimited plan and have been on a westerns/ mountain man binge lately.

Reactions: Dub