Good-bye My Lady, 1956 movie filmed near Albany!

Artfuldodger

The hunting and swamp parts of the film were filmed around Albany, Georgia. The world premier of the movie was in Albany. This link is about the parade for the premier in 1956.

Artfuldodger

I've read about the movie before and saw it when I was young. I was wondering what the exact filming location was? I wonder if it was the Chickasawhatchee?
It is among the largest fresh-water swamps in the Southeastern United States—taking second after the Okefenokee in Southeast Georgia and North Florida.
I didn't realize how big it was and how close it is to Albany. Heading west out of town and right past Gillionville Church, your almost in it. Plus it goes higher north than I thought. It goes almost all the way up to Sasser. And almost all the way west to Leary.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've read about the movie before and saw it when I was young. I was wondering what the exact filming location was? I wonder if it was the Chickasawhatchee?
It is among the largest fresh-water swamps in the Southeastern United States—taking second after the Okefenokee in Southeast Georgia and North Florida.

Probably somewhere in St Joe, which Chickasawhatchee was part of.

Artfuldodger

St Joe Paper Company. Their lands bordered Hwy 62 and Tarver Road.
I knew they had a now closed paper mill in Port St. Joe but reading they were huge land speculators in Florida. It's still big in real estate. At one point was the second largest private landholder in the state of Florida.