Good processor near Cohutta

My buddy and I are going to Cohutta to kill a bear in two weeks. Is there any reliable processors that have good options for bear near the area (preferably south of Cohutta)? Also, do the processors refer you to taxidermists that will come and pick up the hide at the processor?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
McClures in Blairsville is excellent. As long as they're in business, I'm not processing anymore whole bears.

jp94

B&M Processing in Chatsworth or Resaca Deer Processing on the Murray/Gordon County line also processes bear and does a wonderful job. I have had bears processed at both and prefer the Resaca Deer Processing. As far as them recommending a taxidermist not sure. As for personal taxidermist recommendations, I have used Sportsmaster Taxidermist who is not far from either location and does pick-up at both locations if you make arrangements in advance. He has mounted three bears for me and has done a wonderful job.

You might want to also take into account the weather when trying to get a bear out of Cohutta. They can often spoil in the heat before you are able to get to a cooler to hang it if bringing it out whole. Skinning and quartering to pack out may be a better option if you are way back off of the road. I have seen some friends that wanted a rug made from his bear until they got to the truck and realized they had drug the hair off of one side. If you plan on mounting a bear you might want to decide in advance what you want and what you are willing to pay, because that will ultimately help you decide on how to skin the bear in the field or when letting the processor know what you want done. It doesn't take a lot of knife mistakes to mess up what would be a beautiful mount. I also recommend saving the skull for a European mount, they look great in my opinion. But that's just my two cents worth on the subject. Good luck and hope you get a big one!

Great information! Much appreciated. Curious, how long before bear meat spoils in 85-90° weather? Once killed how long before I need to get him on ice?

Tank

jp94

Not sure on how long before they start to spoil but I would get one gutted as soon as possible. Depending on where you are when you kill one it could take as little as an hour to get the truck or 6hrs. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to have one cooler of ice in the truck just to stuff inside the bear when you get to the truck. The ride down the mountain could take up to an hour depending on location and mountain biker traffic.

tonyrittenhouse

I killed one off cohutta wma year before last in the middle of the day. It was very hot and I was close to a creek. What I done was gutted it and placed a few river rocks inside of it and sunk it in the creek. The mountain stream water was very cold and by sinking it , it not only cleaned it but kept the blow flies off it. I left went and got help to drag it out. We used a plastic sled to drag it out with that made it so much easier to drag and did not hurt any of the hair. It took about 3 hours for me to get back with the help. With the bear being in the cold water that long it gave the meat a good chill. It still took 4 of us 4 hours to get it out. But by waiting till late in the evening to drag it there was probably a 20 degree difference from the middle of the day till then. When I went out to call for help I stopped by the check station and told the game warden what I was doing so they stayed there until I got the bear out. Oh and as for a good taxidermist in the area Shipmans Taxidermy is who I would recommend. He has a web site. He has mounted 2 bear for me and several deer. B&M will be your closest processor.

Last edited:

Buckman18

I can do a 130lb deer on my tailgate in 10 minutes. A 300lb bear is whole nother story.

Yep. Bears take a while!

My favorite way to butcher bears is to cut them into roast (remove as much fat as possible) and smoke them. Luckily, it’s a simple way to butcher also.

Buddy at works swears by canning bears. I have never tried that?

Russdaddy

My buddy and I are going to Cohutta to kill a bear in two weeks. Is there any reliable processors that have good options for bear near the area (preferably south of Cohutta)? Also, do the processors refer you to taxidermists that will come and pick up the hide at the processor?

Do you have a place scouted on Cohutta or just gonna check the place out when you get up here to kill him? Might be worthwhile to check out the Peoples lake thread on here...its not too far from Cohutta....

treemanjohn

Banned
I've been on a many successful bear hints in cohutta. Bring your four wheel drive boots to find the honey holes. Also deboning can save back surgery. Sinking the meat in a Creek works great especially if you have meat bags to put it in

Do you have a place scouted on Cohutta or just gonna check the place out when you get up here to kill him? Might be worthwhile to check out the Peoples lake thread on here...its not too far from Cohutta....
We have a region that is over 3000 ft elevation that my hunting partner has scouted.

jgqhall

Anyone know of a good processor near Douglasville, GA? I used Findley's a few years back and I was not satisfied.

Jason F

What's the approximate cost to have someone process a bear? I'm hoping to get in to the woods for rifle season with a friend or two to show me the ropes and maybe even bag a bear.

I'm a first time hunter, so I don't even have the experience of deer or hog processors to compare to.

Tio Hey Seuss

Most charge by weight for bear. $75-100 for a bear in the 100 pound neighborhood. Last one I paid to process weighed 230 and I think it cost me about $150 if I remember right.