Got me a green egg

Jody Hawk

My father-in-law gave me his green egg tonight. It's in terrible shape as it has been sitting out in the weather for years. I don't know if there's much hope for it although he says that he thinks that I can buy the parts to rebuild it. Thought that I'd show it to y'all and see what y'all think.

Attachments

• green egg_01.jpg
    green egg_01.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 340

pnome

Stev is the real green egg master, but to me, it looks like it's in pretty tough shape. Might be worth it to just buy a new one.

Toffy

No problem

Jody, you have a great egg if the ceramic is still ok. Everything else is disposable.
I have replaced the felt between the two halves twice on my egg.

The new hinge system is much better than the old one.
Get the new top, not the old ceramic cap.

The grill rack itself is replaceable and the only real problem is the sliding door at the bottom.

Even the internal ceramic parts are replacable.

Hose it out so you can inspect it and if the ceramic is sound, it is great. congrats.

Jody Hawk

Steve,
The egg itself is fine, no cracks at all. The internal ceramic piece is broke. The hardware is all bad. My father-in-law has the top for the chimney but he's misplaced it and can't find it at the moment. Like I said, may be more trouble and $$$ than it is worth. If it is, I haven't lost anything, I'll just trash it. I figure if I could spend a few hundred bucks and get this one back working, it would beat paying $500 plus for a new one. I don't care how pretty it is. :D

Toffy

Herisee!!!!

do NOT pahleezzze do NOT just trash that thing! I will come get it and tenderly take it to the trash for you, if you decide you do not want it. Deal?

MISSING RIDGE

Gone But Not Forgotten
Green Egg

Jody,
Outlaw get that egg fixed up. Looks like a little sanding on the rusted hardware and a replacement for the internal ceramic piece will put you in business. Set up a fire inside with charcoal of course-use the flat stuff and that should help with the clean-up of the inside-maybe a little extra dose of charcoal lighter or mineral spirits will aid in fire clean-up.
Good luck with your egg.

stev

Banned
there aint nuttin wrong with the egg.just a few pieces and your fixed up for around $100 and you have a good egg.It just needs to be fixed and seasoned good .call me i can get you the parts .my buddy owns the egg store

Arrow3

Jody Hawk said:
I don't care how pretty it is. :D

We all know that....Everytime we see you, all you have on is Georgia Tech stuff!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hair: :eek:

slightly grayling

If it is ceramic it is worth fixing up.....go to the Big Green Egg store if you can (off Buford hwy inside I-285). Your firebox is broken, they may replace it free of charge if your father-in-law is the regestered owner (they replaced mine for free several years ago).....If they will not replace it for free, buy one from Primo Grills in Norcross, a lot of Egg owners are buying the Primo replacement fire boxes because they dont seem to crack as easily....they have everything you need and may even have paint to make it pretty again.
-SG
Jody Hawk said:
Steve,
The egg itself is fine, no cracks at all. The internal ceramic piece is broke. The hardware is all bad. My father-in-law has the top for the chimney but he's misplaced it and can't find it at the moment. Like I said, may be more trouble and $$$ than it is worth. If it is, I haven't lost anything, I'll just trash it. I figure if I could spend a few hundred bucks and get this one back working, it would beat paying $500 plus for a new one. I don't care how pretty it is. :D

Jody Hawk

Here we go. I got out there this morning, cleaned it up a little bit and inspected everything. Basically just an egg shell in good condition that needs all the parts. The sliding door at the bottom is coroded with rust, internal ceramic pieces are broken, the hardware all needs replaced. I ain't worried about the stand because if I can get it back going I am gonna build a wood table around it like Stev has his. I like the way he did that. Y'all tell me now, is it worth fooling with? :huh:

Attachments

• egg_01.jpg
    egg_01.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 224

jav

The first one i owned was the ceramic type, it was cracked, looked like the devil. Cooked on it for five years before buying a bigger one, gave it to my fried and he has been using it ever since. Just be careful when you clean it and try and keep the temperture below 450 degees

Latest posts