Got my first bow.... now the questions.

CummingDeplorable

Finally! I got my first bow. It’s a 45lb Bear Whitetail II. My brother in law gave it to me to kick start my bow hunting habit.
It’s a fixer upper, missing a couple things but it shoots and should get me started.
My goal here is to use this bow to get me started in the sport and keep me happy till I gain some experience and ultimately invest in a higher performance set up.
I started reading and looking at stuff on the internet and my first question is ....what’s the quickest way to overhaul this bow?
I looked on Amazon and there’s a bunch of upgrade combo parts kits for cheap. There’s a variety of brands but the kits all look about the same & don’t mention anything regarding brand specifics. Are these generic kits a good option?
Thanks...

Attachments

• F3034550-307E-4077-812D-30C5A4A451E5.jpeg
    F3034550-307E-4077-812D-30C5A4A451E5.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 33
String first for safety reasons, then rest and sights. After that just shoot, shoot, shoot and then shoot some more. Get to the point that its an extension of your arms and youll be deadly with it

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
All of the above.
Knowing you may move up a more state-of-the-art rig, I would buy accessories that would eventually swap over to the new rig.
Get yourself a good mid-range quality front sight that is gang adjustable both up and down and right and left. Fiber optic pins with the little fiber optic fibers attached and bundled do well for me.
Release, and the little release loop attached to the string at the knock.
Can't go wrong with a whisker biscuit rest that is also adjustable.
I like a quiver that is easy to get mounts for my bow. I buy a few extra amounts and attach them to my climbing stand.
Actually, I use the old PSE quiver with the rail for the mainframe wwhere the bow attaches to the rail. So I got an extra quiver, sawed the rail into three pieces and mounted the pieces on my climbers so my bow is attached to my climber. These days you can just put the quiver on and hang the bow from a bow hanger over your head if you take the time to screw one end... I have left many in a tree.
BTW- I always thought that a good climbing stand or two (more) was the most important tool in my archery game other than my archery equipment.
Target .

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Those bows came out in 1988 or 1989 if I remember correct. I killed several deer and ground hogs with one. Old wheel bow. A lot of things have changed but the burger hole , sight window holes and stabilizer holes are all still the same. Whatever you put on it accessories wise will fit any other bow. That bow will be somewhat slower than today's bows, but it will be easier to shoot and a lot quieter.
New strings and maybe cables tho. It's more about the injun than the bow.

CummingDeplorable

I’ve got a foam target, gotta order some arrows next. I think it’s bow will make a fine backyard plinker. I doubt I e got the time to get good enormity go with it to ethically shoot a deer with it this season but who knows. By next season i intend to be up to speed and have a modern rig to hunt with....

Dub

Congrats!

My first bow was a Bear Whitetail Hunter that I got as an early teen. That bow was a heap of fun and it really got me started in a great hobby.

The posters above have you heading in the right direction on getting the bow up & running well.

My advice is to ensure you keep yourself up & running.

I'll briefly share a quick rundown of my own experiences and urge you to approach things smarter than I did so you don't wind up in my current predicament.

• Started playing JV football in 6th grade....continued playing through high school. Lifted weights throughout and wrestled some, too.
  • Sr. year of high school I had and on the field injury that led to ACL & MCL surgery on my left knee (right knee had already had surgical repairs the year prior, lol). Football ended.
  • College & work....marriage.....and & work....etc. Very little hunting until later on.
  • Returned to bowhunting and got back into bigtime. Went right into a pair of Hoyt bows with 80lb pull weights. I have a 32" draw and had problems finding carbon arrows at that time that would perform well at that length. Shot Easton aluminums that were stout & heavy...figured the 80lb weight was needed.
  • Took me a few more years to get back into lifting weights again after a 25 year layoff. Went back into hardcore and without proper training/coaching....poor form.
  • The cumulative effects of shooting higher than necessary draw weights and poor form lifting weights has left me with a right shoulder that is overdue for replacement.
The point to my story is to preserve you body. Train & practice with good shooting form and certainly good lifting form if you do gym-based workouts.

Get with someone highly experienced and knowledgeable in both arenas and learn correctly technique.

Don't be overly aggressive and stupid like I was and find yourself not being able to continue with something you enjoyed doing.

• Even with my 32" draw there are ( and were then, too) lighter arrows with enough spine to perform well.
  • Shooting that much poundage really takes it's toll during controlled letoffs...and on draw after draw during practice. Sitting in a cold deer stand for a few hours and then going into full draw on a deer also takes it toll.
  • Todays arrows can perform wonderfully at lighter draw weights.
  • You really don't need umpteen pins on a sight that let you shoot precisely at extreme distances if your are mainly geared towards hunting. One or two pins is perfect. The action is gonna close in and personal. Keeping a simple sight image is a blessing when you are aiming at a deer.

Enjoy yourself and enjoy the practice. It's therapeutic. Shooting targets by yourself or with buddies is a great way to relax.

Protect those shoulders and ensure that you are still hunting when you get to be a 50 year old guy like me. :)

CummingDeplorable

Sound advice. Luckily I’m in good shape. & I love technical sorts like archery. Combining archery with hiking hunting & camping is an added therapy.

Reactions: Dub

strothershwacker

Ats a critter killing machine, anybody tell ya different ain't no bowhunter. Killed my 1st several deer with one like it, shootin hand me down arrows and mix matched broadheads! Welcome to the world's oldest & most rewarding sport! These guys on here got a lotta good advice. Keep reading and keep shootin! Good luck!