Gravity Feeder

Would like to know what everyone prefers for a gravity style feeder. Looking for something in the small to medium range that could be carried for a distance without much trouble. Also durable and concealable. Open to store bought and DIY ideas. Thanks!

Looked into that with 6 inch pvc so that the feed would last for a little while but found it to be the same price as some commercially made products once everything is bought.

shdw633

I bought the cheapest spin feeder I could find and took of the spinner and replaced it with a gravity tube you can get at Academy Sports and sometimes Walmart..or you can check Ebay and Amazon for them. I had to make a spacer to fit the two together but I have had them for several years now still going strong. I did buy a moultrie dinner plate feeder which is working out pretty nice as well.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Looked into that with 6 inch pvc so that the feed would last for a little while but found it to be the same price as some commercially made products once everything is bought.
Yeah but having your pvc stolen is slim to none. All construction site builders have scraps just ask.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have cut a hole bottom of a 5 gallon. About 2 to 3 “. Took a “Y” cut stick. The fork holds it in the bucket. Let the straight part stick down about 2’ feet. Hang with rope about 5’ to bottom.
Deer will hit stick. Corn falls out.
Takes some time but they will get use to it. It’s cheap.

I bought the cheapest spin feeder I could find and took of the spinner and replaced it with a gravity tube you can get at Academy Sports and sometimes Walmart..or you can check Ebay and Amazon for them. I had to make a spacer to fit the two together but I have had them for several years now still going strong. I did buy a moultrie dinner plate feeder which is working out pretty nice as well.

I wondered how well the dinner plate would hold up to raccoons and squirrels

deerslayer0369

13B7F1A9-81EC-4D81-9249-5E3A95CB0AF9.jpegDidn’t build them for deer but for my chicken coop, needed something to help clean up the coop with “high” capacity and to minimize waste. Think I have around $70 in the three, they are 3”. The wye fittings cost the most at $15 a piece. They hold about 10-12# per tube. Filled the bottom of the wye up to the feed opening with pea gravel just to combat mold from water setting in the bottom.

bilgerat

Senior
heres My pvc feeders, got them from a commercial grading company for free, i screwed a short 2x4 to the back and strapped them to a tree. the deer would empty the 10" tube in a week so I added a 12" pipe next to it , both together hold 250lbs of corn ; I use the old corn bags as a top for a lidWGI_0001.JPGIMG_1336.JPG

shdw633

I wondered how well the dinner plate would hold up to raccoons and squirrels

It's been out over a year and I haven't had any issues with it. I have not seen a coon on it though I have seen squirrels get up on the plate and just sit there and eat.

roll tide

Had my eye on those didn’t know the quality of the plastic though.
I`ve had squirrels chew through every feeder I`ve put out except this one. Also put a PVC pipe over the 4X4 its sitting on so the coons only get a few scraps from what the deer drop. Great investment!

Mark K

Banned
Got two years with the Boss Buck and no chew throughs or marks yet. But then again deer don’t chew either. I’ll get an occasional squirrel feeding on leftovers but none on it, much less chewing on it. Guess a lot has to do with where it’s placed.

BuckNasty83

Got two years with the Boss Buck and no chew throughs or marks yet. But then again deer don’t chew either. I’ll get an occasional squirrel feeding on leftovers but none on it, much less chewing on it. Guess a lot has to do with where it’s placed.
Squirrels chewed through mine. The lid is double layered though, so it didn't leak yet. But then a thief found it and decided he wanted it.

habersham hammer

Bought this one from Steel Outdoors in Mississippi. Had it modified in last picture to further prevent varmits. Cannot be chewed through either.

Attachments

• steel1.jpg
    steel1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 15
  • steel3.jpg
    steel3.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2934.jpg
    IMG_2934.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 18