Great story...Georgia man kills brown bear

Poo Bear

A good friend of mine from Athens just got back from Russia where he killed an eight foot Brown Bear (the largest bears in the world, same thing as a Kodiak Bear). He shot it at five yards and is lucky to be alive. The bear was walking toward him but was not yet sure what to make of the camoflaged hunter. At five yards the bear seemed to figure out that it was a human and growled. My buddy figured he was in deep yogurt and let the arrow fly.

Very fortunately the bear turned and ran away. Five yards is way too close! Sometimes bears charge instead of running. My buddy would have been summarily killed if the bear had charged. He was not sure he had hit the bear when he shot, he was so close and it happened so fast. As it turned out he hit the bear cutting the aorta and dropping it after a thirty yard sprint.

Pretty incredible. I'll post pictures when I get them.

Glenn

Your friend has bigger.....OO......than I do :eek:

Sounds like an adventure in a half though. How did he get on a hunt in Russia?

Mrbowdeadly

Seem to remember a similar story last year about a bear attacking a mans son and then charging him. He shot it with a bow in close quarters.....

Scary.
MBD

GeauxLSU

Unh-Unh!!! NO THANKS!!! :eek:
Glad your friend is able to tell you about it. :speechles
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Poo Bear

Sorry, I did not know anybody responded

I am used to the system that emails you when you have a response. Anyway, GeauxLSU, my buddy grew up in Baton Rouge. He grew up hunting just about anything in the Basin and is about the huntinest fool I know. He is a Safari Club guy that goes to Africa every year. He has killed a leopard and hunted a lion with his bow! He's nuts but that's just his gig.

I hope, for his sake, he has gotten most of the dangerous game stuff out of his system but I doubt it. The bear scared the livin' crap out of him. He KNEW he was dead if his shot was bad and maybe even if it was perfect. The Good Lord was on his side and he knows it.

In response to how he got there...he paid a freakin' fortune. Safari Club International can help you set up just about any hunt you want for the right price. I would advise anybody going on an exotic or dangerous bow hunt to do their research very carefully. Unless your guide is especially couragous and well armed your trip could result in frustration or even death.

My friend flew from Atlanta to Alaska to Siberia and then to Kamchatka. His guide turned out to be a relatively inexperienced, frightened and incompetent bozo that almost got him killed. He was WAY undergunned, shooting a .30 caliber rifle with a tiny bullet less than 100 grains. Anyway, it was a happy ending to a potentailly tragic story.