Grilled Steak: The most overrated food experience?

jbogg

I Purchased a camp chef pellet Grill smoker two years ago when I started hog hunting. Since purchasing it I now use it for just about all the meat I cook. I will set it fairly low around 225° on the high smoke setting and put steaks on there for about an hour just before searing them on my gas grill for about a minute per side. There is no substitute for that real smoke flavor.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I did four ribeyes tonight on the Akorn. Without an extra grill, the Akorn is really not good at all for steaks. I bought a Weber replacement grill that fits on the little tabs that are designed to hold the smoking plate., and put the steaks on it. Works pretty good.
I'm the same way with Akorn steaks. It's like a Weber Kettle-the coals are way down there and the grate is way up here. I love my Akorn for smoking stuff. I use my barrel grill for grilling stuff.

Dub

I think Dub just invented a new steak recipe - "Nuclear Steak". :rofl::rockon:

Only thing I've invented is a hunger for a steak. I honestly can't remember the last steak I've had....been over a month or two.

Gonna remedy this situation over this coming weekend, I hope.

That's a pretty cool gadget, Dub!

Thanks. It paid for itself in a couple cooking sessions in terms of saved charcoal.

Does wings and steaks really well.

Right over the top with a steak and you get a nice crust on the exterior....and pull it off to this side to let the internal temp come up to your liking.

I did four ribeyes tonight on the Akorn. Without an extra grill, the Akorn is really not good at all for steaks. I bought a Weber replacement grill that fits on the little tabs that are designed to hold the smoking plate., and put the steaks on it. Works pretty good.

I found the Akorn to be exceptional on steaks.

Mine was a steak cooking machine until I wore it out......but then again....at the time it was the only grill option I had.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Only thing I've invented is a hunger for a steak. I honestly can't remember the last steak I've had....been over a month or two.

Gonna remedy this situation over this coming weekend, I hope.

Thanks. It paid for itself in a couple cooking sessions in terms of saved charcoal.

Does wings and steaks really well.

Right over the top with a steak and you get a nice crust on the exterior....and pull it off to this side to let the internal temp come up to your liking.

I found the Akorn to be exceptional on steaks.

Mine was a steak cooking machine until I wore it out.
I have never been satisfied with mine for steak cooking. I don't like to crank the Akorn to nuclear-burns out the gaskets and warps the metal. Mine never goes over about 400*, it's been the same for about 5 years now being used at least a couple times a week or more, and still works like it did new. Nuclear=wear it out. Mine won't wear out. :)

Hot grilling: I fire up the Char-griller barrel.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I have never been satisfied with mine for steak cooking. I don't like to crank the Akorn to nuclear-burns out the gaskets and warps the metal. Mine never goes over about 400*, it's been the same for about 5 years now being used at least a couple times a week or more, and still works like it did new. Nuclear=wear it out. Mine won't wear out. :)

Very true.

That's exactly why I only got 3 years from mine.

I'd run it stupid hot on steaks and pizzas (when I was trying high temp does and such).

Hight temp burnoffs on occasion, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very true.

That's exactly why I only got 3 years from mine.

I'd run it stupid hot on steaks and pizzas (when I was trying high temp does and such).

Hight temp burnoffs on occasion, too.
350-400 makes a great pizza, btw. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look downright edible!

Chrisco6

The best steak cooks I do with my Blackstone are cubed steak, venison or beef. Just season and cook briefly with tangs stir fry oil (garlic olive oil)
What my kids like best is sirloin that has been run through the slicer fairly thin. Marinated in worcheshire and mojo cook briefly on the stone in tangs for steak melts.
T bones go on the green egg.

BeerThirty

I like a good, flavorful steak. Upper choice or Prime grade, cooked medium-rare. Doesn't really matter grilled, broiled, or seared on a flat-top or in a cast-iron, they all have their perks. I do tend to favor grilled product because I really enjoy the added smokey flavor that you don't get with the other methods. There's just something about gnawing on sweet, smokey beef fat, too! However I cook them, I usually borderline char the heck out of one side because oh man, that crispiness..

toyota4x4h

Since I bought my Akorn ive tried steaks diff ways. High heat and sear then back down. Slower low heat more smoke cooks. I prefer slower low heat smoke cooks then a quick sear to give some crunch. Gotta keep the butter on them though that way. And the only thing Ive ever put on mine is garlic powder and butter.

Patriot44

Banned
My favorite way to cook a steak.....

Use the Weber kettle with the Vortex insert.

Dump chimney full of hot coals in it....toss in some mesquite chunks.....let it get full nuclear and then drop on a steak well rubbed in Paymaster's Coffee Rub.

Very few coals needed and the flames hit the steak like I want them to and it does a number on the rub.

I've had good and even great steaks cooked by other methods.....but this is how I prefer them.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this. About to make this happen, two 4 inch high bricks with a 3 inch high 15x15 inch pan with holes drilled into the side.

Can you tell it's a boring Sunday. Steak Riser.png