Gsmnp NC

Taxman

Anyone fished the park the last week? How is it looking for next week or two? Hopefully
I can get up there after the 15th!!

Thanks for the replies.

WMA Man

I didn’t fish but was there 4-2 and the water levels looked ideal. I did fish a high elevation brookie stream about 30 miles SW on 4-4 and did pretty well. Interesting side note the bigger natives were hitting dries, but not the smaller fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Water still high, but it's warm and they're hitting. Calling for more rain the next couple days, so it will remain to be seen how much higher the water gets.

whitetailfreak

I'm gonna break from turkeys next wknd to come up and visit my grandmother. I'll probably hit the park Sat evening after my wife catches her a mess of dough bellies.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna break from turkeys next wknd to come up and visit my grandmother. I'll probably hit the park Sat evening after my wife catches her a mess of dough bellies.
Took me a rock yesterday and got my official opening day limit. :bounce:

Taxman

Hopefully next week will find me ensconced in some downy goodness 5 miles up!! My little Orvis Seven-Four will get a little dry fly action I hope.

Taxman

Does anyone know if the little river flow chart above
Townsend is a good indicator for streams on the
NC side of the park? I can't seem to find
a flow chart for the NC GSMP streams.

Thank you in advance for the help.

whitetailfreak

Does anyone know if the little river flow chart above
Townsend is a good indicator for streams on the
NC side of the park? I can't seem to find
a flow chart for the NC GSMP streams.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Ocanaluftee, West Prong Little Pigeon, Cataloochee all have stream gauges. Don't rely on Little River gauge.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Oconoluftee flow gauge will generally give you a good idea, as it's smack dab in the middle of the NC side of the park. I don't even look at the Little River one, as sometimes the NC and TN sides could almost be on different planets as far as weather conditions go.

The creeks are kind of high right now, and they're calling for maybe 2"-3" or more rain over the weekend.

Taxman

I refuse to believe that the streams won't be perfect by Tuesday!!!! I just can't accept it. I will wear my rose colored glasses!!!:))).

Last edited:

Taxman

Im taking my ESN and a little 4wt bamboo for dry's. Backcountry this week. I was just going to use the 10'6 nymph rod and swap spools. Ive decided the bamboo needs some casts. Sweet little 1964 Orvis 7-4. Hopefully won't rain me out Friday. 3 days at around 2800 then move up for couple days.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Well I hate you got rained out but remember high water better than no water. I’m sure you’ll be back to slay them.

whitetailfreak

My dad had 3 trips scheduled today and all 3 cancelled due to weather. 441 and Cade's Cove loop are closed due to high wind and downed trees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Packed out today. Water a little high in the park!! lol:))
Do any good earlier in the week? When I was driving home yesterday, many roads were closed from the flooding.