GSMNP

Tom W.

Lori and I got back from the mountains this past Saturday. We got up there Thursday and enjoyed everything ( except I didn't do any fishing this time.) I met a man from the Castboolits forum while there and finally was well enough to get to the top of Clingmans Dome. With my cancer I never thought that I'd be able to do it.It was 50* and the wind was about 50 mph. And cold, too!
Lori makes it a point to go to Cade's Cove, and we got there a little later than usual, but saw one lone bear and one bear with three cubs, as well as two deer. The turkeys were in full strut, and everywhere....
Saturday we left in time to see several herds of elk in the N.C. side of the park, and even saw a small herd in downtown Cherokee... We got into some heavy rain in Clayton, but is was mostly gone when we go to Atlanta. By the time we got home it was 80* and pretty much normal for our city..

I really did enjoy it, even if I didn't get to fish....

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Way to go! Sounds like Y'all had a good trip.

DSGB

The view from the dome is great. Last year we walked up it with my sister and her kids and couldn't see a thing because of the clouds. It was clear everywhere except the top.

Cades Cove is a must anytime we go. We spent the majority of the trip on the NC side and visited Cataloochee. Saw plenty of elk, too.

As we were leaving Cherokee on 441 I got behind a car with a Lee County (AL) tag, but they pulled into the McDonalds.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
As we were leaving Cherokee on 441 I got behind a car with a Lee County (AL) tag, but they pulled into the McDonalds.
LUCKY!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sounds like a great trip Tom. You are an inspiration to other Cancer victims. I beat it about 10 years ago, and praying each day that it stays away. Good job Tom.

Tom W.

On the way up I had to pass the Cancer Treatment Center of America in Newnan and was glad that I wasn't driving. It gave me the weirdest mixed emotions, knowing that although I almost died in that building and went through a lot and and for quite a while, God guided the doctors there and I'm still kicking. I almost wanted to stop in and say hi.....

I was better when we can by on the way home.

greg_n_clayton

Yall should have hollered when you come through Clayton Mr Tom. We could have broke bread !

Tom W.

We always stop and fill up the vehicle at the same station on the left side of the road by the first or second light. Most of the time we also stop at the Goats on the Roof place for ice cream and to stretch our legs. Wasn't too many customers there Saturday with all of that heavy rain.
Lori and I love the mountains!

greg_n_clayton

We always stop and fill up the vehicle at the same station on the left side of the road by the first or second light. Most of the time we also stop at the Goats on the Roof place for ice cream and to stretch our legs. Wasn't too many customers there Saturday with all of that heavy rain.
The mountains have alot to offer, especially if you venture off the the main drags and get off on the little back roads.

zedex

Gator Bait
Theres a place in Coombs,BC, that has goats on the roof and ice cream. Is a big tourist attraction for some reason

Dialer

I've got the bike loaded, fishing license purchased, route planned, weekend planned. First to see my crazy friends at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah where they have me a cabin reserved ($45 per night). Saturday morning I'll be headed toward the Sylva area for early day trout fishing along the NC fly fishing trail near Cashiers and work my way down. Then the "Hook Line, and Drinkers" festival begins at 2:00 pm until 7:00 pm in the town of Sylva, which sounds like a lot of fun. Cades Cove on Sunday for a full day of riding. Just me, my Triumph, and fly fishing gear.....pics to follow...

greg_n_clayton

I've got the bike loaded, fishing license purchased, route planned, weekend planned. First to see my crazy friends at the Kickstand Lodge in Stecoah where they have me a cabin reserved ($45 per night). Saturday morning I'll be headed toward the Sylva area for early day trout fishing along the NC fly fishing trail near Cashiers and work my way down. Then the "Hook Line, and Drinkers" festival begins at 2:00 pm until 7:00 pm in the town of Sylva, which sounds like a lot of fun. Cades Cove on Sunday for a full day of riding. Just me, my Triumph, and fly fishing gear.....pics to follow...
I have never been to Cades Cove. I hear it is pretty neat ride, but from the pictures I have seen, most of the same stuff can be seen on the numerous "back roads". As for the wild life, I would guess it is seen frequent because it is protected being in the Park. We still see alot, not as often.

greg_n_clayton

Don't forget to hit the NCHillbilly kitchen !! Good food...open 24/7....no reservations needed !! Just show up !!