Hades...

GeauxLSU

billyjames said:
SBG's thread about going to hades got me thinking. Exactly "what" and "where" is hades?
Actually, I am interestd in this question in that I heard some local churches it is taught that it is actually a physical place and literally located in the interior of the earth. Meaning you could theoretically 'drill' there. They point to sounds heard from drilling operations or something as proof. Does any church that you are aware of teach this?

My interpretation is what I assume is the majority. A spiritual state only (at least as we would define it) and one of eternal torture.

SPITCAN

This was on snopes.com awhile back....

Legend: Scientists drilling in Siberia went too far and ended up punching a hole through to pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie, where the screams of the ****ed drifted up to them.

Example: [Brunvand, 1993]

Geologists working somewhere in remote Siberia had drilled a hole some 14.4 kilometers deep (about 9 miles) when the drill bit suddenly began to rotate wildly. A Mr. Azzacov (identified as the project's manager) was quoted as saying they decided that the center of the earth was hollow.
Supposedly, the geologists measured temperatures of over 2,000 degrees in the deep hole. They lowered super sensitive microphones to the bottom of the well, and to their astonishment they heard the sounds of thousands, perhaps millions, of suffering souls screaming.

BuckSlayer

If I'm not mistaken, according to scripture, Hades is a literal place where the ****ed are sent in the center of the earth. Paradise is also there across from it. There is a great big canyon between them, so no one can pass from one to the other. Remember Lazarus? He was the beggar that lay in front of the Rich man's house. He died and went on to Paradise. Later the Rich man dies also but went to Hades. The rich man could see Lazarus in Abraham's bosom, and cried out for a drop of water on his tongue because he was in torment.

Hope that helps. :D

kmh1031

Hades

Simply put hades is mankinds common grave.
Greek and Hebrew words are "Hades, and Sheol, both mean the same thing.

Jonah, in the fish said" "Do not leave my soul in Sheol"
Which at the time, he thought he was dead or going to be dead and was speaking/praying to God to save him from the potential fate.

There are many other references in the bible confirming this statement by Jesus, and others.
Many times these words are misrepresented in various translations/versions of the bible to mean pinkiepinkiepinkiepinkie, or a place beyond the grave.
Do not take my word, check it out yourself.
Check out Ecc 9:10 and 11.
MM

kmh1031

Hades

Simply put hades is mankinds common grave.
Greek and Hebrew words are "Hades, and Sheol, both mean the same thing.

Jonah, in the fish said" "Do not leave my soul in Sheol"
Which at the time, he thought he was dead or going to be dead and was speaking/praying to God to save him from the potential fate.

There are many other references in the bible confirming this statement by Jesus, and others.
Many times these words are misrepresented in various translations/versions of the bible to mean "Hail" (I had to spell it like this as it would not accept the other word) or a place beyond the grave.
Do not take my word, check it out yourself.
Check out Ecc 9:10 and 11 for a nice comment on what happens after death.
MM

SBG

H-e-double toothpicks is the english word that was used to translate the greek words "Hades" and "Gehenna" It was also used to translate the aramaic word "sheol."

Both hades and sheol have often been defined as being grave, tomb, sepulcre etc. Although these defenitions are basically correct, the words have meaning that go farther than that. Both, in context of scripture, refer to the place that the living souls of the deceased go to after death.

Hades was used primarily in the new testament to record the soul's location after death. Buckslayers reference to Lazarus and the rich man is a great illustration of this. Both Lazarus and the rich man were in hades. But picture it as being compartmentalized. On one side the redeemed are in conscious bliss, on the other the lost are in torment.

Gehenna was used to describe where the ultimate location of the lost will be after the "Great White Throne Judgment" The word gehenna describes a place that was just outside of the city walls of Jerusalem; it was literally the city dump, where all forms of garbage and trash were taken for disposal. Reportedly the fires there burnt constantly. This place is symbolic of the "Lake of fire"

kmh1031

Hades continued

I appreciate your comments.

Yes Lazarus was in hades and is in hades. However this was a parable quoted in the bible and not meant to be reality, but used as an illustration.
Jesus also was in H.....or hades.
Gehenna was used to signify everlasting death, not everlasting torment. H is no more literal than Abrahams bosom mentioned at Matt 8 11-12.

Notice Job 14:13. Job prayed to go there........of course he did not want to go to the Hail as many think of it today. He wanted to just die, and end his suffering.IF he thought it as a place that many think today, would it make sense that he would want to go there?

Ps 6:5, Ecc 9:5-10 an others show that Death is a place of inactivity.

Revelation 20:13-14 shows that "Hail" will give up those in it...thus showing that it is differant from how many view it today, and that it is the grave.

The bible does not support the claim that God torments people, or sends them to the place that many call......H.
In fact the bible counters this claim. God does not torment, or test us.
Secondly, there are examples in the Bible of pagans sacrificing their children to "the fire" to their pagan Gods.
The quote is that these things are detestible to god, and "he did not even think of these things, nor bring them up into his heart"

So, if this applies there to his view of what these pagans were doing to their children, how more so would it apply to us?

Derek

what some people don't realize is that you don't just go there and burn up like a piece of wood.....you burn and are tortured for eternity......

SBG

kmh1031 said:
I appreciate your comments.

Yes Lazarus was in hades and is in hades. However this was a parable quoted in the bible and not meant to be reality, but used as an illustration.
Jesus also was in H.....or hades.
Gehenna was used to signify everlasting death, not everlasting torment. H is no more literal than Abrahams bosom mentioned at Matt 8 11-12.

Notice Job 14:13. Job prayed to go there........of course he did not want to go to the Hail as many think of it today. He wanted to just die, and end his suffering.IF he thought it as a place that many think today, would it make sense that he would want to go there?

Ps 6:5, Ecc 9:5-10 an others show that Death is a place of inactivity.

Revelation 20:13-14 shows that "Hail" will give up those in it...thus showing that it is differant from how many view it today, and that it is the grave.

The bible does not support the claim that God torments people, or sends them to the place that many call......H.
In fact the bible counters this claim. God does not torment, or test us.
Secondly, there are examples in the Bible of pagans sacrificing their children to "the fire" to their pagan Gods.
The quote is that these things are detestible to god, and "he did not even think of these things, nor bring them up into his heart"

So, if this applies there to his view of what these pagans were doing to their children, how more so would it apply to us?

KMH, first of all let me welcome you to the site: glad to have you aboard. Secondly, let me apologize for what appears to be a post by me contradicting your posts. I was busy fat fingering my resoponse when you posted.

I must admit that I have struggled with this subject...annihilation vs. eternal torment. Quite frankly, I haven't nailed it down...I guess you can say that I have not obtained that level of spiritual maturity and have clear discernment on the matter. Having said that, and realizing that this is a deep, deep, did I say deep, subject, it is also a subject that is relevant only to a lost person. In other words, it is great to study and discuss, but ultimately, it has no effect on your status as a believer. Once you have been saved, your eternal destination is set. I would like to point out some differences of interpretation that I have with a part of your post.

As you well know and stated, the Lord often taught in parable, some of the time he did not. The example of Lazarus and the rich man was not a parable. Lazarus was a specific person and the "certain" rich man was also. This was a literal occurrence that Jesus used to make his point about hades. That it was more than just a grave, rather it was the place that the souls of the dead were. It was a place of torment for the lost and a place of peace and comfort for those that had died in their faith. Those that died in their faith are the ones that Paul was referring to in Ephesians Ch. 4:

4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

The certain rich man and all of the lost before and since him, are still in Hades. When Christ died on the cross, he conquered death, he!!/hades and the grave and freed the captives and took them to heaven with Him. The "good" side of hades is now empty and will never be inhabited again. Since Christ has become the intercessor between God and man, the redeemed now go straight into the presence of the Lord upon death.

Now on to Job. Job did not simply want to die so he would be free of his sufferings. If Job meant that he only wanted to go to the grave, as is synonymous of tomb, it would make the account of his enlightenment in chapter 19 seemingly not to make any since. In chapter 19 Job realized that there was life after the grave:

19:25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

19:27 Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.

He was asking to go to hades/sheol not to gehenna.