Haiti is burning

Longhorn 16

If we can have idiotic threads about whether or not hunters carry toilet paper to the stand in the deer category, I am of the opinion that we can certainly have a thread about well intentioned Christian deer hunters and their ministries.

Straight is the gate yet narrow the way.

Good work GGO, I will be praying for you and your crew, sir.

There will always be doubters and nay-sayers, yet they will cry out in their final days and ask why the Lord has abandoned them. Truth was, they abandoned the Lord.

Jim I have huge respect to what you add to the forum. I am a born and raised Christian and look to other sections of this forum for religious encouragement.

I guess I just like “subject matter “ to be where I look for it to be typical found.

Please enlighten me on how this should be in the deer hunting thread.

Mark K

Banned
4 pages so far...someone’s been reading and commenting.
Guess some feel threatened by religion since it’s in a deer forum instead of one of the others.
I look at it like I look at TV...it I don’t want to watch something I turn the channel. Same with reading, just pick the next topic and move on.
As far as this particular post, kudos to you and your church. But, as already said, you’re fighting a losing battle. It has and always will be a third world country. Yes, there are souls there that need help and salvation, but your efforts and money could be used elsewhere with much better results. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. I applaud those that think they can actually make a difference in an area where a difference will never be made. Unless you’re empowering the people with the means to overthrow their government and turn the country around then it’s just a post to say how you’re going to Haiti. Missionary’s have been going to Haiti since I was a little boy and our church even sponsored them. It’s the same as it is here, you can’t help those that won’t help themselves.

ucfireman

If you haven't read the thread and don't intend to, then why bother posting here at all? Shouldn't you read the thread before forming an opinion on it?

I did read the first few post and there was nothing about deer hunting, it was about your planned mission to Haiti. That is great that you want to go there and help whatever way you want to. That said, it was not about DEER HUNTING.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
4 pages so far...someone’s been reading and commenting.
Guess some feel threatened by religion since it’s in a deer forum instead of one of the others.
I look at it like I look at TV...it I don’t want to watch something I turn the channel. Same with reading, just pick the next topic and move on.
As far as this particular post, kudos to you and your church. But, as already said, you’re fighting a losing battle. It has and always will be a third world country. Yes, there are souls there that need help and salvation, but your efforts and money could be used elsewhere with much better results. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles. I applaud those that think they can actually make a difference in an area where a difference will never be made. Unless you’re empowering the people with the means to overthrow their government and turn the country around then it’s just a post to say how you’re going to Haiti. Missionary’s have been going to Haiti since I was a little boy and our church even sponsored them. It’s the same as it is here, you can’t help those that won’t help themselves.
Haiti started out with people overthrowing the government in a bloody revolution and "turning the country around."

I doubt if Haiti will ever be fixed. It's been that way forever. The other side of the island (The Dominican Republic,) is fairly prosperous for the region. The Haitians seem to be the main problem with Haiti.

Buck70

There have been several "overthrows" through its history. Each new government is just as crooked as the one that was overthrown.

LittleDrummerBoy

We are a Christian family but i don’t feel the need to tell you or anyone online about what I do as far as charity. This particular trip I mentioned is a medical mission though, they are not preaching the gospel to anyone.

Hey man, you are in no way answerable to me. But if you are uncomfortable with your wife's proposed mission trip, you need to have a good answer for yourself why you do not simply say "No" to it.

Jim Boyd

Jim I have huge respect to what you add to the forum. I am a born and raised Christian and look to other sections of this forum for religious encouragement.

I guess I just like “subject matter “ to be where I look for it to be typical found.

Please enlighten me on how this should be in the deer hunting thread.

LongHorn,

Please understand that my comments were in no way an insult.

What I said was that if we can have inane and idiotic threads like whether or not someone carries TP to the stand or not (and not only does no one blink an eye, it seems to get tons of jokes, advice, comments, etc - and no one complains) - but as soon as a thread comes along that is talking about the good a group of hunters does - and it has a religious base, all of a sudden it is in the wrong forum.

I tend to think that GGO’s post has more validity in the deer section that does one about whether or not we wipe our backside when in the woods.

With respect to Haiti - there is little doubt that it is a screwed up country.

But, each person in that country is a human and viewed as such by our Lord and Master.

It is most assuredly not our right to determine (and opine about) who deserves help and who does not, as many viewers have stated. I think we all know what Jesus would say to that - and - the day will come when we get to have that conversation. Some of these conversations will be pleasant and some will not. We all get to choose.

Now, that is not to say that we need to be kind so we can avoid an unpleasant conversation - we should be kind because it is what is TAUGHT.

Is the post in the right forum? I suggest we all decide internally and then either read and follow along - or not. Again, we all get a choice.

My guess is the moderators have looked at the thread and if it is in the wrong forum, they would move it.

I am often stunned that threads that have great, informative content are ignored yet threads that seem to have little relevance thrive.

I, too, respect your posts and my opinions are just that - simply the thoughts of an old man.

Thanks -

Jim

Possum

Banned
Hey man, you are in no way answerable to me. But if you are uncomfortable with your wife's proposed mission trip, you need to have a good answer for yourself why you do not simply say "No" to it.

What made you to believe I didn’t just say no??? As far as my reasons why I said no... 1: I don’t care one bit for the girl she would be going with. 2: im not going and don’t want my wife mugged, raped, kidnapped or killed in a dangerous third world country. 3: they have to not only donate time, they have to pay the organization thousands for medical supplies to go plus thousands in travel, food and lodging. I feel it’s a con and money could be better donated. Giving medical care to a 10 year old rape victim won’t prevent anyone from getting raped again. I’d rather donate to a cause that tries to stop the MS13 gangs rather than make their victims feel better. 4: there are plenty of poor people around here that need help too.
Now as far as who wears pants in my family, We’ve been married 10 years and she ain’t doing anything I say no to. But i won’t do anything she says no to either. So I guess you could say we both do if you like, I don’t care. It’s worked for us for 10 years.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Your wife, your house, your business.
10 years is almost a record these days.
Obviously y'all are doing something right.

DynamicDennis

This is all wonderful and all, but what about having a short sale on your home to get away from a pack of these poor people that moved across the street and painted their house smurf blue!!!!! House was painted blue because it made it easier to find because they were selling drugs out of it. And once a month or so, they'd load up a couple uhaul trucks and send a big shipment of either free, or yard sale clothes back to that crap hole island. They do this to sell the goods back to their own people and make a profit, not to try and help. Then I hear about "support and help" for these people. Some things just can't be fixed

I may be partial or a bit bitter.

GottaGetOutdoors

Realtors say, "Location. Location. Location." This is why so many homebuyers look for a neighborhood with strong HOA covenants. We lived in one years ago with about 100 homes on 3-5 acre wooded lots. HOA covenants were strict enough to keep it groomed and keep out the riff raff, but relaxed enough to allow bow hunting in my backyard.

Last edited:

DynamicDennis

Location is correct, but it was my first home. Certainly has cost me some $........ But, it's just money right?

pine floor

I don't why the mods won't send this to the religious forum, that's what I thought. I haven't seen such material in the deer forum where this started as about third world country and then it was just deer hunting.

Just my angle, to let TP paper in the woods is hunting.

Haiti not so much. No money, game,bad Government, if you could call it that.

I get what you are trying to do, but in the religious forum would be better than the deer forum.

I would like have some more conversation about this.
I have been to this list of places, but they have some seriously problems ahead, and fixing them up is not going to happen until they want a more comprehensive approach and life.

PF

GottaGetOutdoors

Travel warning still elevated according to US State Dept. We are rescheduled for March. Looking forward to it, even if it does overlap Bama turkey season. Ordered deer minerals today. The plan is to replenish all our deer mineral sites before we go.

Last edited:

Possum

Banned
Maybe need to move this thread to turkey hunting forum

swamp hunter

Maybe you can find a good Deer hunting Lease in Haiti.
Couple Ham sandwiches should get you 100 acres there easy..