hancock quality buck question

ugabowhunter

this might need to be posted in public land forum, but i'll try here first,
i hunt oconee wma a lot and part of that wma falls in hancock county, as well as putnam and greene counties that do not have any anlter restrictions. i know hancock has antler restrictions and i am assuming this includes the wma. but no where at all have i seen any info telling the hunter this. the maps nor the check in station have any information for this. i just wanted to be sure that this rule still applies to the wma inside hancock county. does anyone know this rule?

Kdog

I don't know this for sure, but I do remember hearing of this coming up before, and it was determined that if you were hunting in the portion of the WMA that falls in a QDM county, you must follow that counties regs. The only problem that I see is, how do you determine the county line?

You might want to get with John Bowers on this one though.

Kdog

Rebel 3

I could be wrong, but I beleive I read about this previously that the QDM rules do not apply within the WMA boundaries, but a call to the DNR can clarify your question.

savage

DNR ranger

The QDM law that is in effect for Hancock county DOES NOT exist on either Oconee or Ogeechee WMA. I know this for a fact as I am one of the people that enforces this law.

Jeff Raines

Now,how would y'all like to own or lease land right next to these wma's.

I will never vote for mandatory qdm

Walkie Takie

Qdm Hancock

Hey, Savage do you take care of washington co also ?????? we have land on sam hill rd in Hancock back's up tp ogeechee wma , hoping it will sell next year to private owner's , have a lot of problem's w/ sorry line hunter's and people crossing line's ( well marked ) property lines , we have about 600 @ that touch the wma and they have about 3000 @ and still they ( sorry hunters) come across the line's and climb into our stand's, hoping to run into them this year so we can call ( savage ) and have them busted
and fined , w/t almost forgot I REALLY LIKE QDM and hope the whole state goes that way , maybe giving young kid 15 or young a break on one small buck w/t

savage

Walkie Talkie

I do not cover Washington county. PM me if you have complaints in Hancock as I can handle them. We work the Ogeechee WMA primitive weapons hunt pretty hard and I am always wanting to hear from nearby private landowners and lessee's about problems. I am with the law enforcement section and would like to talk with you anytime.

Lucky7

ugabowhunter, do you see a lot of deer while hunting oconee wma? i just got in a lease that borders the east property line of the wma, adjacent to highway 16. we are a quality managed club, and i wished the wma followed the hancock qdm rules. i am sure we lose many 1.5 year bucks to wma hunters. and i dont know what you have been hunting over there, but i have been on white oaks the first two weekends of bowseason, and have seen deer almost every time.

ugabowhunter

lucky7,
10-4 on the white oaks!! i killed a doe opening weekend and seen more evreytime out at the same tree. i took my buddy out there guaranteeing him he would see deer. he also shot a doe. i can't believe it is public land. a buddy of mine saw a buck near the same spot he said was near 200# but did not shoot b/c he was only a small six point. very heavy for such a young buck. i don't want to give too much away, but i hunt across the road from the sign in station. a lot of deer and i saw two wall hangers out there last year in dec. i hunt north of your property but it is on the east side of the wma. anywhere in hancock is good, near oconee wma is better. just be prepared for rifle season. the place is covered up with bullet slingers. i don't hunt again til rifle season ends there and bowseason comes back in.

JBowers

Savage is correct. The Antler Restrictions for Hancock County do not apply to the WMA.