Handicap Parking????????

H

HT2

Have you ever wondered about those people that have the little tags on their rear-view mirrors that display that they are disabled?????

Some of which have the license plate that also let's people know of their disability......

Here's what I'm wondering about.......

I'm not sayin' that there aren't people out there that need/deserve them......

But, the overwhelming majority of the people that I see gettin' out of the vehicles walk just as good or better than me!!!!!!!!!!!! And, a large majority are my age or younger!!!!!!! ::huh: ::huh:

I just don't get it.......

I understand that not all disabilities are so evident that the naked eye can see them all.....I understand that there are instances where it might be a back back, a hurt leg, arthritis, etc......Or somethin' of that nature.....

What are the requirements to get one of these tags???????

And, "NO" I'm not lookin' to get one cause I hate walkin' that far....... :p :p :p :p

Jeff Phillips

Tim - I work with a guy whose wife really needs the handicap parking. The thing that really ticks me off is he parks in the handicap parking even when she is not with him :mad:

I think that is a lot of the folks you see getting out of the cars and skipping into a store :banginghe

The only handicap I need is off the tee ;)

Toliver

Depends on the type they get. For the temporary ones that you can get while you wait for you injury to heal, you just get a form from your doctor and take it to the driver's license place and you get that little mirror hanger thing. For the permanent disabilities that you're gonna get a license plate for, again it takes doctor's orders a trip to the tag office.

I had a temporary one when I was involved in a head on collision that broke my knee cap. I used it twice. Even with that big leg brace contraption thing I still felt like I was able to walk a little further and leave the space for people that truly needed it. The only times I used the handicap spots was when I had my infant son with me. Carrying him was a bit more of a burden than just walking.

stumpman

Banned
Ill keep my comments to myself i caused a ruckas on the other thread lets just get tolies # and call him when we see someone parked there that doesnt belong.he can go give them a ticket. :whip: :cool:

Toliver

Tim - I work with a guy whose wife really needs the handicap parking. The thing that really ticks me off is he parks in the handicap parking even when she is not with him

Tell him it's a pretty stiff fine and possibly an impound fee if he gets caught.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Jeff Phillips,

I used to work with a guy that does the same thing.

I rode with him to lunch one day last year and he pulls up into the HC spot, reaches over the sunvisor and pulled out the sihn and hung it from the mirro.

I asked him what was wrong with him? He said nothing was wrong with him that ut belonged to his wife.

Short version-I made him move and he got upset and drove me back to the office, dropped me off and we went our seperate ways.

The next day when he showed up to work the owner fired him.

Do you think the two might have been connected?!?!? ::huh: :rolleyes: :bounce: :whip:

H

HT2

Jeff.....

Jeff Phillips said:
Tim - I work with a guy whose wife really needs the handicap parking. The thing that really ticks me off is he parks in the handicap parking even when she is not with him :mad:

I think that is a lot of the folks you see getting out of the cars and skipping into a store :banginghe

The only handicap I need is off the tee ;)

That's exactly what I'm talkin' bout!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

I've even got a friend that has a bad back......He's had surgery and he also has a handicap tag, but IMO.......He don't need it.......He hunts and does just about everything I do, so why should he be allowed to have one and not me?????? My back hurts too!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

southernclay

I broke a vertabrae a few years ago and got a temp tag. Instead of a 2 month tag I mistakingly got a 12 month tag. I only parked in one HC spot (Wal-Mart) other than parking at school for the first two months. After that I threw it away, I was a little tempted though, but I've gotten mad at people taking advantage of tags too many times to join the club.

Snakeman

The other side of handicap parking......

My wife has a cousin who has BOTH legs amputated above the knee (tried to push a train off the tracks with a motorcycle). He never uses handicapped parking. Says that's for people who can't get around!

The Snakeman

Al33

Here's one for you Tim,

My ex'es aunt in Connecticut has had one for years. She likes to exercise in the mall and parks in the handicap spaces when she gets there for her walks inside. ::huh:

This is the truth. :mad:

Al

matthewsman

I seen

a couple of handicap people parking in our spaces at the mall the other day,I ain't never been one to be mean but I started to jump on one or two of'em... ::ke:

southernclay

Al33...dang
mathewsman...that's a little wrong but a lot funny

georgiaboy

You never can tell about folks with the tags. A budy of mine is 29 years old, looks healthy, has all his legs, etc. He also has a serious heart disease and is on the transplant list awaiting a new heart. He uses his tag occasionally when he is having a bad day and cannot make the walk. looks can be deceiving. The lady that parks in the handicap spot and walks inside to get exercise... :mad: :banginghe :mad:

Slug-Gunner

It's a Matter of "Perspective"!

Let me discuss this from my personal experience:

When I was much younger, healthier, and in excellent physical condition I thought nothing of still-hunting all day long and often covering 10-15 miles, even over rough or uneven terrain. At around 40 I began to show symptoms of "degenerative arthritis" and developed severe problems with my knees, ankles, and shoulders over the last 20 yrs.
I am now almost 62 years old and also diagnosed with Type-2 Diabetes. When I was younger, like many of you voicing your opinions here, I thought like most of you are - I thought that most were "exagerating" the effects of arthritis and didn't visibly appear to be handicapped.

Well, let me tell you, when that "arthritis", "old age" and "disability" shoe starts to fit your own feet, your opinions and views change about a lot of things we take for granted when younger and healthier.

I have always had a HIGH PAIN THRESHOLD, which means I have learned to tolerate and deal with intense pain without whining and crying about it or showing obvious symptoms visibly. I once sprained my ankle getting out of the shower while getting ready to go hunting, yet went anyway, even though I couldn't hardly put any weight on that ankle. The result.... even though I had to hunt with my Tree Lounge at ground level, a 10-pt buck appeared out of the fog and went home with me (against his will). On the old Woody's Campfire we had a thread where many others said that their "devotion to hunting" overcame a lot of physical injuries that would have had the average "YUPPY" whining and crying in bed.

At 62 now, here's what I have to endure on an almost daily basis:
* I now have practically NO CARTILEGE in my knee joints and just walking can be painful on my "bad days".

* I can no longer squat or bend my knees back under me without extreme pain. Just bending over to pick something off the ground is extremely difficult for me.

* Sitting on the ground against a tree is difficult for me since I can't get my legs into a comfortable position and must move them constantly or they go "numb" quickly.

* I cannot sleep on my back since it puts "reverse pressure" on my knee joints and causes pain. I must sleep on my sides with a pillow between my legs to help prevent "side pressure" on my knee joints.

* I have difficulty with my arms when sleeping since they "go to sleep" if I bend them sharply or put pressure on them while sleeping. Usually have to rest them on a pillow. (An effect of diabetes.)

* I have great difficulty in getting up/down from a low chair or the ground since my knee/joint strength is limited. I often have to "go to the floor" on my knees and use the chair as an aid to stand up.

* If I stand still (as in a line) for over 20-30 minutes, my legs start to become numb. If I walk for extended periods of time, my legs start to get numb. (An effect of diabetes.)

* Diabetes and prostrate problems require me to have to urinate frequently - sometimes every 20 minutes. During the night I have to get up several times to go.

Can you tell these things from just looking at me?.... NO!
Do they affect my desire to continue my hunting?.... NO!
Will they ever stop me from hunting?....NOT IF I CAN STILL WALK OR MOVE!
Do they affect my ability to hunt like I use to?...... YES!
Do I "Pay For It" by continuing to hunt regularly?.... YES!

How do they affect me?
1. When hunting from the ground I have to use a camo chair and blind or a tree-mounted "Ground Lounge".
2. I have to stand up and stretch (and pee in my bottle) at least every 45-60 minutes. When standing up, I often have to stand and shake my legs for a couple of minutes before I can walk - they are numb.
3. I cannot carry much weight (my stand and pack) up or down hill for much over 100 yards - about 200 yards on level ground. I "pay for it" that night.
4. When walking down a hill, I have to hold on to trees or use a walking stick since any "impact" on my knee joints brings EXCRUCIATING PAIN.
5. If I try to "still-hunt" and walk any great distances up to a mile or so, I will "pay for it" that night and sometimes a few days after with SEVERE KNEE PAIN.
6. And, if I am successful and kill a deer, dragging it out of the woods and loading it in my truck/car is a MAJOR EFFORT. This is one main reason I don't like to hunt alone, but still do if no one else is available.

Why am I writing all this out for you? Not for your sympathy, but just to explain and give an example to all
THAT ALL DISABILITIES ARE NOT OBVIOUS AND VISIBLE.

Have you ever watched the "Handicapped Olympics"? If so, you have seen what DESIRE and WILLPOWER can overcome. You can see people with arms and legs missing who have not let it stop them from accomplishing great feats of physical ability. They don't just sit in their wheel chairs or beds and "whine and cry" about the limitations their injuries have put on them. Often, with great pain and suffering, they continue to LIVE and ENJOY LIFE.

Oh yes, to get back on subject.... I have a Handicapped Parking Permit and I feel no qualms about using it when the spaces are available. I may tolerate "pain" when I continue to hunt, but I also don't want to walk any further than I have to on a daily basis when just shopping. I have my GOOD DAYS and my EXTREME BAD DAYS.... sometimes one right after the other. If using my Handicapped Parking Permit offends you, so be it. Just don't try to "Judge a Book by It's Cover". Until you walk in that other person's shoes, you don't know what their limitations or handicap is!

:rolleyes: ::huh: :banginghe ;)

Last edited:

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
I'm sure there is a lot of abuse

of handicap parking privileges, but I am not going to judge them just because they are not in a wheel chair, or on crutches.

I have a younger friend that has one and he has been thru more than one heart operation, but unless you read his medical record or saw the scars on his torso you may judge him to be an abuser ::huh:

IMO, there are many good reasons to have a permit that is not visible on the surface.

I will reserve my "anger" and "ridicule" for the people that use these spots that do not have a sticker at all. :rolleyes: to me they outnumber the ones that have a permit and don't "deserve it".

leo

reylamb

I do have problems with those that use them when the handicapped person is not in the vehicle. I have bigger issues wth those that park in them with no signs or special plates. I have been known on more than one occassion to call the police, tell a store manager, store security guard, wait for them at their car, etc.

I had a temporary sign in SC after I had my right ACL replaced. I never used it once. I felt there were those that truely needed the spaces.

Those that park in handicap spots for no reason other than their own laziness should be ashamed, but typically they are not.

Handgunner

Slug-gunner. Amen and and I wish you the best. You and I are a lot like in that, only I'm 30 and have done most of the damage to myself through years of careless eating, lymphodema, and being born club-foot.

I was told a story years ago about a wheelchair bound man that had no legs.

He watched someone in good health take his spot. He told them, "I'll gladly give you my parking spot, if you'll just give me your legs".

There's a lot of truth in that. And a lot of people take the simple things for granted. Sitting on the ground, tying a shoe, getting on/off a 4 wheeler, walking to the mailbox, standing around a fire, etc...

A lot of people can't do that, even though they have the desire.

bradpatt03

i don't think i could ever pull off a handicap tag or sticker w/ my truck being on 38" tires but it does burn me up when i see people taking advantage of it. they should be left for people who TRULY need them

Toliver

You guys will enjoy this..........

A person who shall remain nameless watched this happen. A person had parked in the handicap egress. A van pulled into the handicap space that the egress was attached to. The driver, wheelchair bound, apparently saw that this butthead had parked where he shouldn't have. So Wheelchair man lowers his ramp from the side of his van. The very end of the metal ramp scraped down the side of the butthead's vehicle. Once the ramp was all the way down, Wheelchair man didn't have enough room to get off the ramp. So he raised the ramp back up, again taking more paint off butthead's car. He closed up his van and went elsewhere. The nameless person left before butthead returned to his car. Now I ain't advocating the destruction of others' property, but.................... :bounce:

dbodkin

OK you asked...

The wife has many health issues that to most outward appreances she looks fine. She intentionally hides her braces with long dresses or slacks. With Myasthenia Gravis the short walk to the door can sometimes trip a crisis situation. (Cant breathe , move, any limbs etc) So she does have a HC plate and placard. I do not park in an HC spot if I am driving I usually drop her off at the door and retrieve the car from a regular parking space when we leave. I will relay one story. It involves an elderly lady that came up to wife and nearly pushed her over with a buggy saying she shouldnt park in that HC spot. Remember the wife wears the long dresses well she hiked it up like a 2 year old and asked the elderly lady if she cared to wear these and try to walk with Myasthenia Gravis too... Turns out she wanted the space for her friend so they could go shopping at Wally World. Moral.. outward appearences dont tell the medical story.. Now when I see a teen park the car slap the HC placard on the dash and then sprint to the door that burns me up...

Last edited: