Handling hogs ???

Buford_Dawg

Do you guys wear gloves when handling hogs? Say, dragging and loading it on a 4 wheeler or in the truck. I know when dressing a hog, it is a good practice to wear gloves, but just getting the hog out of the woods, I generally do not. Just clean my hands good when I get the hog loaded up. Thoughts?

Hillbilly stalker

At 3 pair for $1 at the dollar store, yes I wear them. Why someone wouldn't I cannot understand. Talk to one person who has gotten sick and you will too. I prefer the thicker ones myself, but it's pretty cheap insurance. Read back thru this sub forum and there are some guys that handled hundreds and are fine. It took just one. Guess which one ?

bany

YEs sir most every time! That’s where you’re most likely to be infected if you have any open wounds. Carrying alcohol or peroxide is a good idea too!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Never really did in the past, but I started slicing and dicing on the spot as of late. We’d throw the small ones over our shoulders and carry them or drag the bigger ones, no gloves. I wear them when I get my knife and heavy duty garbage bags out. Take what I want and leave the entrails. I don’t drag much anymore?

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Nah. Just keep a jug of water on the recovery vehicle to rinse off with.

chrislibby88

I try not to touch them at all with bare hands. I even wear gloves when dressing deer, but I’m not nearly as cautious. Be like Bfriendly and break them down where they lay, and you can avoid the whole dragging thing entirely.

Stony

I always have a pair of leather gloves handy for handling them prior to dressing them out. I switch to heavy duty vinyl gloves for the cutting and dressing of them. I have gotten to the point where I wear the vinyl for deer as well anymore. I don't think it's worth taking the chances without them. Harbor Freight has boxes of the gloves in all kinds of thicknesses, and I always keep a box of them in my truck.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I always have a pair of leather gloves handy for handling them prior to dressing them out. I switch to heavy duty vinyl gloves for the cutting and dressing of them. I have gotten to the point where I wear the vinyl for deer as well anymore. I don't think it's worth taking the chances without them. Harbor Freight has boxes of the gloves in all kinds of thicknesses, and I always keep a box of them in my truck.

Yea this too! I always have gloves on hand and harbour freight is the place to get them......I keep several in my fanny pack, backpack and turkey vest. Too cheap to not have nowadays.