Harder than I thought

oldfella1962

Ground hunting works but you will need to build a nice blind. I speaking of a natural blind. Make sure it’s high enough to hide your top limb and always build a back to the blind. Having the front built in a semi circle without a back drop allows movement to be seen thru blind easier. Tree stand are easier but not foolproof

yep! What's behind you is way more important that what's in front of you! And no matter what camo you wear (if any) I would advise camo up every bit of your face.
And if you had a mug like mine you'd want to wear face camo 24/7! :(

oldfella1962

oh now I went through the thread and see you shot it from a tree. That takes some serious accuracy, awesome! That sweet spot is tiny at a steep angle, and you have some thicker bones to contend with. Yes those Zwickeys are a great head - I love them, very easy to hand file/strop sharpen and they are very durable.

Triple C

Hook up with Al33 and he'll teach you a trick or 2 on hunting from an elevated stand! Man, I know what you mean. I've killed only one deer since trad hunting from 2014. I've missed a few. Pigs are a lot easier. I had all my sets up around 18 to 20 feet high. Al showed my 1st hand that you only need em bout 10 ft off the ground if you're in the right spot.

I cheated this past Saturday morning and carried my rifle to my Redneck blind overlooking a 6 acre plot. Decent buck stepped out at 9:00 a.m. and it was over in probably 5 seconds. Didn't even have time to think about it. Back to stick and string. Such a different experience when you have to watch them for some time and then get em within 15 yds to kill em. Keep swinging!

Hillbilly stalker

Man that’s a great hunt and a real good story. Congratulations on your first traditional kill. Something for you to think about, mite drop down to 10-12 feet on your stand, and leafy wear camo will help you a bunch. That stuff should be illegal it works so good. Congratulations again and get you another !

hambone76

Congratulations! That is awesome! So glad that you got the monkey off of your back!
:yeah:

Al33

I dont know how anyone gets started in trad and then goes back to a rifle or compound. Everything else feels like cheating
I still occasionally hunt with a firearm but it's always for specific reason. Last season I took my deceased brothers M1 carbine (built in 1943) just to kill a deer or pig with it. Got two deer and loved it. Or, if I haven't had much success with the bow and need some venison I might take a firearm real late in the season. However, when it comes to hunting for sport and self imposed challenges I choose my bows because the rewards of success are so much greater.