Has anyone built their own broadcast feeder?

Paul Cataldo

I’m looking for ideas to use a 55gal steel drum to make my own broadcast feeder. I can get plastic/poly drums free as well, but figure welding and a steel drum would be easier here?
I want to make something nice. Just like the All Season brand varmint proof feeders or the ones made by Texas Hunter Products. Using a 12v motor and tripod legs welded or bolted on etc etc.
I just need some ideas on how they varmint proof it and build the spin mechanism. I could engineer my own design but it’s always nice to have something to work off of and I honestly don’t have time to go seek these things out in the stores and look at them so wondering if anyone here has tackled this before and possibly might even have plans drawn up? Thanks for any help guys. I can literally get most of the materials in steel or aluminum for free that are laying around my shop. Would likely only have a little money tied up in the motor and spin mechanism parts.
Thanks for any help.

Paul Cataldo

Use these and chain link fence post and feeder motor of your choice
By chance do you have an easy solution for the top and bottom (pitched/angled) pieces or do I have to fab them myself? I’m honestly not sure if the bottom of the drum needs to be pitched on an angle or not, but the top usually needs something to let the water drain off. I suppose Al that would have to be made, unless I can find some pre-fab parts to 55gal steel drums.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

By chance do you have an easy solution for the top and bottom (pitched/angled) pieces or do I have to fab them myself? I’m honestly not sure if the bottom of the drum needs to be pitched on an angle or not, but the top usually needs something to let the water drain off. I suppose Al that would have to be made, unless I can find some pre-fab parts to 55gal steel drums.
I used the boss buck 55g metal lid and internal funnel. Amazon shipped em to me. Good luck.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m looking for ideas to use a 55gal steel drum to make my own broadcast feeder. I can get plastic/poly drums free as well, but figure welding and a steel drum would be easier here?
I want to make something nice. Just like the All Season brand varmint proof feeders or the ones made by Texas Hunter Products. Using a 12v motor and tripod legs welded or bolted on etc etc.
I just need some ideas on how they varmint proof it and build the spin mechanism. I could engineer my own design but it’s always nice to have something to work off of and I honestly don’t have time to go seek these things out in the stores and look at them so wondering if anyone here has tackled this before and possibly might even have plans drawn up? Thanks for any help guys. I can literally get most of the materials in steel or aluminum for free that are laying around my shop. Would likely only have a little money tied up in the motor and spin mechanism parts.
Thanks for any help.
Me and my dad built a few of these probably 15 years ago and they are still being used . We made a funnel out of flashing and built the little frame and screwed the trash can to it from the inside . Welded a winch on one of the legs . All thin gauge steel leftover from a job and scraps . Have replaced the feeder part a few times . I filled it up today and snapped a picture IMG_3561.jpeg

Yeah they will you have to have a cage around the feeder motor or they will take your corn out that and squirrels. Once the cage is on and providing the holes in it aren’t too big they can’t reach it and they just hang and try