Have you ever contemplated the end...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
...of your bowhunting?

For me it's now.
Arthritis, wrist surgery, you name it, but I can no longer draw a bow.
Allow me to reminisce a little if you will...
I had a home archery shop when I lived in Kansas.
Made well over 5000 arrows, but donated most of those to education organizations and sponsoring shooting events.
Sold bows and tuned a lot of bows.
I volunteered to run the bowhunting challenge here in '07 and made a lot of friends and a few enemies along the way.
It's hard to admit you can no longer do something you truly love.
Age can be a very cruel equalizer.
I love bowhunting, always will.

It's not an end I envisioned 10 years ago.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Dang it man!! That brought a lump in my throat.

Jim Boyd

Feel for you!

Nope, I am not looking at or looking for the end.

Crossbow, brother.

It ain’t much different than bow hunting and while people will tell you different, it is still primarily a 0-40 yard game.

I love mine so much I parked the rifle 3-4 years ago and hunt solely with an arrow now - which means I even skip the Illinois shotgun season.

I am 61, bad shoulders and scared of heights.

Let’s get it done even if we are old.

shdw633

Feel for you!

Nope, I am not looking at or looking for the end.

Crossbow, brother.

It ain’t much different than bow hunting and while people will tell you different, it is still primarily a 0-40 yard game.

I love mine so much I parked the rifle 3-4 years ago and hunt solely with an arrow now - which means I even skip the Illinois shotgun season.

I am 61, bad shoulders and scared of heights.

Let’s get it done even if we are old.

Yup^^^^What he said. I am 57 and doing the same thing. It's still a rush when they are that close regardless if the bow is horizontal or vertical, still a rush. Good luck!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Although I had a good 22 years to bowhunt, it`s been close to 40 years since I was able to draw a bow enough to be proficient to hunt.

To this day I still miss it badly.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
It is getting me also. Couldn’t this year because of gout in my shoulder.
It’s better now. Hope it stays away.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I'm down to a 53lb bow but it will kill 'em graveyard dead. I will be happy to get 10 more years but it's been a great ride if I never get to go again. I've made tons of good memories along the way.

uturn

I think about the possibility of not being able to shoot a bow and or participate in archery hunting everyday...I feel for all of you guys!!

Passion, Addiction or Obsession, I'm not sure but who I am!!

Not looking forward to that day...hope it's a long ways off!

BowanaLee

Degenerative Arthritis is eating up my right shoulder. Trying to save whats left for work.
This was my 1st crossbow kill. Got a few lined up for next year too.
I ain't giving up just yet. I actually still shoot 3-D but at 40 lbs. Gotta do, what cha gotta do. :cool:

Attachments

• 030.jpg resized.jpg
    030.jpg resized.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:

Ihunt

Dropped to 54lbs this year. Shoulders ache. Trying to give myself as long as possible.

notnksnemor

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Here's what my end looked like:

Attachments

• hand.JPG
    hand.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 949
  • xray.JPG
    xray.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 940

Jim Boyd

Looks awful !

But if you are right handed, I see a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

I have plates and screws, broke 12-14 bones riding motocross and these days, I hurt more than I feel good.

Some days are better than others.

You can still crossbow hunt and it does not cost a fortune.

I am pulling for - and praying for - you, brother!!!

kevincox

I've been working out now 3-4 times a week for about 3 yrs. still blessed to be able to bowhunt and draw back 65 lbs with no issues. I do plan to drop down to 60lbs this year just because we can now with the proficient technology of today's bows. Strength training and cardio sure have helped me especially sitting in the stand longer with less lower back issues.

rutnbuk

I try not to think about it- but we are never guaranteed tomorrow- much less next Bow season- no matter our age. As I get older I try more and more to measure the moments not the antlers. When I can finally hunt no more- I don't think I will really care how long a G2 was- but I will certainly cherish the memories. My Bow Hunting buddy "Barehunter" who passed away almost 3 years ago, had a great saying as bow season would approach each year- "just got to see happen one more time". SO that is my motto now every time the leaves sing that familiar crunch crunch toward me- JUST GO TO SEE IT HAPPEN ONE MORE TIME!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
At 49 I hope I still have a bunch of years left, but with Gary messing his back up back in November and not being able to hunt since (much less draw a bow) and just now having to go under the knife, I definitely think about how fast it can all go away.

Like rutnbuk said in post above me...just one more season, please let me have just one more.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

You guys are geniuses, whether you know it it or not.

From your replies, I've been inspired.
I am left handed, so all the pressure of drawing and releasing is concentrated on my left wrist.
I'm thinking of a release "strap" for lack of a better term, that will put the pressure on either my forearm or a behind the elbow device.
My thinking is as long as the release is in the correct position it doesn't matter what holds it in place.
Elbow seems more feasible.
Forearm seems like it would tend to slip.
Seems like I've got a project to work on.

Keith Karr

Notnksnemor,

There was a device that was around a few years ago that attached to your release and strapped around your forearm and behind your elbow.

I don't remember what it was called but maybe some research will turn it up.

Good luck with your recovery !

Keith

notnksnemor

Notnksnemor,

There was a device that was around a few years ago that attached to your release and strapped around your forearm and behind your elbow.

I don't remember what it was called but maybe some research will turn it up.

Good luck with your recovery !

Keith

Good info. Thanks.

Found this. Looks like a good starting point.
I'll see if I can find one.