Have you ever eaten road kill?

Have you ever eaten anything that was road killed?

• Yes

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 25 47.2%

• Total voters
E

early riser

I voted YES. Last spring around the first of April I witnessed right in front of me a car hit a button head buck. I saw it happen and I was only about a mile from our sister clubs camp. I pulled into their camp and aked if they would like to have a legally spring killed out of season deer, and they were willing to go back up the road with me and see if we could lay claim on the animal. The Sparta policeman told us sure thing that he would hate to see it go to waste and if we saw any more to have at them cause they were always eating on his garden ::huh: . We took the deer back to the sister camp, cleaned it and later I had some of the jerky that was made from it ;) .

e.r.

H

HT2

Phil.....

Naw, and I don't reckon I will.........

I don't guess..... ::huh: ::huh:

QuakerBoy

I have not but if I knew it was a fresh kill I would not be reluctant to pick it up

GeauxLSU

I voted no but now that I think about it, I lied. Once, as a kid, my father and I had been rabbit hunting (for some reason without our dogs) all day and hadn't seen a thing. On the way back home that night he hit one with the van. My mom laughed out loud when we brought the results of our day afield home and he relayed just exactly how it had been 'harvested'. :eek: :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

leadoff

GONetwork Member
Not knowingly. ;) :D

Agman

Sure have, deer hit by my father. Would never pick one up on the road unless I saw it get hit or still kicking ;)

Picked up a Skunk one day, took home and cleaned out on the pool patio. This was a perfect pelt. Anyhow you guessed it, hit one of the stinky ball sacks. :( Had a problem getting a date for months after that one. I was 16 at the time.

Al33

Not me! TOO DANGEROUS for a one eyed fella. I might not see a car coming.

Al

broadhead

I hit a 40lb pig on the way hunting one afternoon. Tom Borck and I skinned and cleaned it. Man, that was some good eating.

Nick_T

Banned
Riding down a dirt road one morning and a covey of quail flushed which my windshield took 2 of'em out. Kinda funny how they seemed to pop straight up in the air about 20ft. Hit brakes, put in reverse, picked those critters up, and had a pretty good meal that evening. I hate that I had hit them but after consuming those 2 I wished that a couple more had flown just a little bit lower.

Nick T

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Not that I remember, but I have eaten some seriously nasty stuff that would make road kill look pretty good.

Jim

Randy

I think I had some recently at a campout in some chili? Phil I think you ate some too!

GeauxLSU

Randy said:
I think I had some recently at a campout in some chili? Phil I think you ate some too!
After hearing an assortment of critters that chef has admitted to consuming in his life, I have erased that particular meal from my memory. It never happened....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

teethdoc

Many of you have heard the tale of the deer in the cab of the truck with me. You can bet we ate that one.

GeauxLSU

Bowbender said:
Phil,
what is the law from your part of the world, on deer hit by cars?
Up here if you hit it you can take it or give it to who ever you want. You have a legal claim to the deer.
My buddy had a cop try and take a monster buck he had hit. He told to cop not to touch his deer, cop wanted to put him in jail till the state trooper showed up and told the cop what the law was.
Bender
Bender,
No clue and hopefully someone can definitively answer but from what I gather by reading post over the years, apparently, the driver generally takes it if they want it even with LEOs present. Might be different by county. ::huh:
Yep! Muskrat Chili is some fine grub!
No idea what you are talking about Jeff. Again, never happened....
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Al33

Not sure what was in that chili, all I know is that it was some of the best chili I ever had, and this comes from a Texas boy that has eaten a lot of chili.

If I ate roadkill in JB's chili, then I'll go back for seconds. That stuff was deeeeelicious.

Al

Razorback

Nope!

But at the Social Circle GONetwork Banquet our table mate told my wife all kinds of tall tales about road kill dinners. I don't think she she'll eat what he has brought to the covered Sunday dish supper. :speechles

That table mate. . . none other than our very on JBowers!

Razorback