Having some fun.... 1911 style

Dub

Ordered a pair of S&A magwell guides that I wanted to put on a couple guns.

The parts really looked and felt good to me. The checkering is really pronounced.

Had some time yesterday afternoon to take care of the first one. Also swapped out the grips for some VZ Operator II's.

Dropped right in.

So easy this caveman could do it.

wareagle700

Looks good. I've enjoyed the ones I've put on my 1911's.

Reactions: Dub

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
That looks good Dub. Good shooting also

I've had S and A magwells on a pair of Colt .45's for many years--really like them.

Dub

The TRP & Loaded .45acp guns have been really nice and performed very well for me.

Gong with Springfield was an easy decision.

I've always preferred the tighter spacing on slide serrations. These look great to me and offer excellent gripping surface.

There are times, though, when I when I simply want to shoot the economical 9mm ammo.

I've never had a 1911 in any caliber other than .45acp and reading the great reviews here helped me decide it was time.

Field stripped it it....wiped everything down and then added some gun grease on rails and fresh oil on other surfaces.

The slide racked smoothly before.....but after the lubing...wow. Feels great.

Back together and into the range bag. Going to hit the range in the morning....I hope.

I did register it and submit my info for the the 4 free magazines. They will certainly be appreciated as they are a bit pricey. I hope the factory magazines run well in the gun.

I plan on making a few minor changes after a couple successful range sessions.

Looking forward to getting some rounds through this gun.

It'll likely not get any carry use.

The Loaded has been clocking some saddle time, though.

EGG-cellent!!! Great looking guns!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I do not own a 1911 but I've decided that my next gun purchase will be one.

Dub

EGG-cellent!!! Great looking guns!

Thank you.

I really like Springfield Armory 1911's and have had great luck with them.

I do not own a 1911 but I've decided that my next gun purchase will be one.

1911's can be more finicky at times and it can scare folks away.

Some just want a pistol they can load up & toss in the nightstand drawer and call it good.

Some, though, like to enjoy shooting. I've yet to find a handgun type that I enjoy shooting more than the 1911. The simple controls and that sweet single action trigger are worth whatever effort, if any, it takes to get it running reliably.

Most issues, if any, are magazine related.

I'm not currently set up for reloading and the cost break of 9mm vs 45acp really had me wanting to add 9mm 1911.

These 9mm RO's have been getting great reports so confidence was high with going in this direction.

Some changes I'm planning are front sight replacement with a Dawson fiber optic, aggressive G10 grips and magwell guide.

Looking forward to breaking this one in soon.

UPDATE:

Took it our for a test run today with the .45acp Loaded.

The potential is there for a really enjoyable target gun with this RO. I was running some budget range fodder and the trigger started out sort of gritty feeling but improved towards the end of the session. I'll clean it good tomorrow and see if there is anything funny going on with the trigger.

The thing shoots about as soft as a rimfire and the target sights are easy to align....once I painted that front sight.

7 yard targets fired at a fairly quick pace.

I had one failure out of the 100 rounds I ran through it.

I started with loading the factory magazines to their full 9-round limit. Second magazine and second shot failed to feed properly.

Pulled the magazine and saw it looking like this...

I'd had one in the chamber and 9 in that magazine. Only loaded 8 in each afterwards and had zero problems from that point on.

I should've fully loaded the magazines last night and let them sit. Time will tell how they do.....I hope they run well because Springer is sending 4 more free due to the current promotion they have underway.

They look sorta weird next to the .45acp magazines. It's going to take me a while to get used to a 9mm 1911, but it's a going to be fun.

Ran the Loaded a bit, too. It did great....zero hiccups....grips lock the gun in hand. The Trijicon front sight isn't the most friendly in an indoor range....but it worked out fine. This target was a fairly quick paced 24+3 run through each magazine.

Dirty guns will be cleaned up tomorrow over coffee.

Last edited:

snuffy

Nice report.
Where did you buy the RO?
Been thinking about getting one of the 9MM RO Compact for carry?

Dub

snuffy

Thanks.

Bought it from Bud's. Best prices I could find anywhere.

Be sure to use their "best price match" feature to save a few more dollars.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...cts_id/12566/Springfield+RNG+OFCR+4+8RD+9mmSS

I've done zero looking around at the model you mentioned, but there's a link to their site. ^^^^^^

Thanks. I had looked at them on BUD's, but wanted to handle one before I purchased.
Are the 9MM the same frame size as the 45's?
I have an older model Kimber Pro Carry and was wondering how the size would compare.

Dub

Thanks. I had looked at them on BUD's, but wanted to handle one before I purchased.
Are the 9MM the same frame size as the 45's?
I have an older model Kimber Pro Carry and was wondering how the size would compare.

I've not messed around the compacts by Springer.

I can say that their Champion sized guns are the same frame size with .45acp and 9mm versions.

I'll be installing a S&A magwell guide in that 9mm RO tomorrow. Figuring on it being the same frame dimensions as my .45acp Loaded.

I've always enjoyed shooting .45acp in anything.....from the 5" steel framed 1911's to the aluminum framed officer's model I have.....that being said, that 9mm 5" was a peach. The slide racks easy, even though the gun is fit fairly tight....not sure the weight of the recoil spring, but it's light.

I'm really looking forward to my next range session with it. Gonna have it up and running with similar fiber optic sights like you'll get on that RO Compact or Champion. Putting a set on my Colt Defender, too.

Last edited:

snuffy

I've not messed around the compacts by Springer.

I can say that their Champion sized guns are the same frame size with .45acp and 9mm versions.

I'll be installing a S&A magwell guide in that 9mm RO tomorrow. Figuring on it being the same frame dimensions as my .45acp Loaded.

I've always enjoyed shooting .45acp in anything.....from the 5" steel framed 1911's to the aluminum framed officer's model I have.....that being said, that 9mm 5" was a peach. The slide racks easy, even though the gun is fit fairly tight....not sure the weight of the recoil spring, but it's light.

I'm really looking forward to my next range session with it. Gonna have it up and running with similar fiber optic sights like you'll get on that RO Compact or Champion. Putting a set on my Colt Defender, too.

Thanks.
Going to check them out.

Dub

Gave these some good cleaning and swapped out the gips on the MilSpec.

The TRP & the MilSpec both have been getting the carry time these past two weeks.

Also got a range session in with my Dad last week on his home range. Fun times.

He ran a new DW .45 that I'd brought along for it's first range trip. He loved it.

We were wrapping up the session and I found I had 40 rounds of 230gr ball target ammo left.

There wasn't much room left on my target. It was hanging at either 5yds or 7yds...can't remember. I loaded up 5 magazines.....then put a round in the bottom of the target and used the hole as an aim point and ran the magazines through it a fairly decent pace...as soon as the front sight came back down I was already on the trigger. Too much fun.

Looking forward to more future trips with this DW Valor Commander. It's trigger is spoiling me. The Straight-8 style sights are taking some getting used to.....but I can see where I may grow to really like them.

Hoping to get back to a range next week and carry the 9mm 1911, too.