Healthy gut bacteria?

Artfuldodger

I went to the beach for a week and ate most of the following;
  • Wheat-based products: Bread, pasta, cereals, wheat flour, couscous, etc.
  • Gluten-containing grains: Barley, rye, bulgur, seitan, triticale and oats.
  • Processed meats: Cold cuts, deli meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc.
  • Baked goods: Cakes, muffins, cookies, pies, pastries and pizza.
  • Snack foods: Crackers, muesli bars, popcorn, pretzels, etc.
  • Junk food: Fast foods, potato chips, sugary cereals, candy bars, etc.
  • Dairy products: Milk, cheeses and ice cream.
  • Refined oils: Canola, sunflower, soybean and safflower oils.
  • Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, sucralose and saccharin.
  • Sauces: Salad dressings, as well as soy, teriyaki and hoisin sauce.
  • Beverages: Alcohol, carbonated beverages and other sugary drinks.
I think it kinda messed with my gut. We were experimenting with drinking lots of various stouts and porters. Guinness is way better than Murphy's by the way.

Artfuldodger

So by the end of the week and back from the beach I was extremely tired and had brain fog. This has lasted about a week or so. I finally feel pretty much back to normal now.
I started taking Bragg's apple cider vinegar a few days ago. I cut out the beer and junk food as well. Just until I get better.

I'm wondering if all of that food and beer messes with my gut bacteria? Maybe even causing too much Candida Yeast or causing Leaky Gut Syndrome.

It's as if I caught Yuppie Flu or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I just had no energy. I tried to do a little raking and had to stop. I couldn't concentrate. It was as if I was in a fog. I tried to remove some rotton speaker surrounds and got so sleepy I had to quit.

It was as if I had picked up some type of toxin at the beach. Something in the condo? The weird sea creatures I touched on the beach? The mushrooms I picked out of my yard once we returned? I just touched them, I didn't eat them.

I mean I can usually rake and cut my whole yard taking all day. I couldn't last 30 minutes earlier. Was OK yesterday helping my daughther do some yard work and chores.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

The reason I suspect my gut is because I've always had a bit of gut trouble. Back and forth constipation and diarrhea. Bloating, gas pains in the middle of the night, etc.
Nothing real major.

When I go off the deep end and eat the stuff on the list in the OP it seems to affect my colon. I don't think everyone suffers like this but I do believe each one of us may be affected by some of those foods.

I think for me it is dairy and wheat. This beach trip though was milk, ice cream, donuts, pastries, potato chips, lots of beer, bread, candy, fruit juice, Cokes, etc.

Not that I don't eat those things at home but not to the extreme we did at the beach. We mostly ate in the condo and only ate out a couple of times.

It may not have even been related to food. Might could have just been an infection or inflammation.

My joints ached more than normal and my sinuses were wrecked during this lousy feeling period.

I even thought Mono but my glands weren't swollen. I didn't really feel sick just lethargic. Maybe it was stress related.

I think I'll stay on the Braggs ACV for a while and maybe pick up some yogurt or natural sauerkraut.

Last edited:

GeorgiaBob

Your Dublin centric opinion of stout is not shared with the fine people on the West Coast - of Ireland, where Murphy's reigns supreme. And, from personal experience, I can tell you that Murphy's - delivered to a pub in Dingle in the morning and served that afternoon - is magically delicious! Especially in late spring when folks drop in for a pint about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and head home when it gets dark - about 11 or so at night!

As for your peculiar tummy, I would strongly suggest that you pick up some gut bacteria (active culture of lactobacillus acidophilus or similar) and take massive doses (2 billion colony forming units = 10 mg) for a few days to allow your stomach to rebuild beneficial bacteria. In the meantime, chew flavored chalk (calcium carbonate which is the most common antacid) which will suppress most stomach distress without interferring in the redevelopment of common stomach and intestinal bacteria (aka - probiotics). Both items are inexpensive and easily available on store shelves (most groceries and all drug stores.

killerv

I have issues I have to stay on top of. Doctor put me on protonix and I started taking priobiotics from the grocery store shelf. Things have been way better for me since. Comes a time where you cant eat what you used to eat without the side effects.

Artfuldodger

Your Dublin centric opinion of stout is not shared with the fine people on the West Coast - of Ireland, where Murphy's reigns supreme. And, from personal experience, I can tell you that Murphy's - delivered to a pub in Dingle in the morning and served that afternoon - is magically delicious! Especially in late spring when folks drop in for a pint about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and head home when it gets dark - about 11 or so at night!

As for your peculiar tummy, I would strongly suggest that you pick up some gut bacteria (active culture of lactobacillus acidophilus or similar) and take massive doses (2 billion colony forming units = 10 mg) for a few days to allow your stomach to rebuild beneficial bacteria. In the meantime, chew flavored chalk (calcium carbonate which is the most common antacid) which will suppress most stomach distress without interferring in the redevelopment of common stomach and intestinal bacteria (aka - probiotics). Both items are inexpensive and easily available on store shelves (most groceries and all drug stores.

I'm sure the Murphy's would be better in an Irish Pub or even an American Pub. You see any connection to the stouts and porters adding to my dilemma?

Can I just buy the probiotics off the shelf at Walmart or should I get some that's refrigerated at the health food store?

Artfuldodger

I have issues I have to stay on top of. Doctor put me on protonix and I started taking priobiotics from the grocery store shelf. Things have been way better for me since. Comes a time where you cant eat what you used to eat without the side effects.

I think I only had like three vegetables at the beach but 10 donuts and pastries. We ate about three bags of kettle chips. Had to have something with all that stout and porter.

Artfuldodger

Maybe increase these as well;
  • coconut oil
  • garlic
  • apple cider vinegar
  • cruciferous vegetables
  • ginger
  • olive oil
  • cloves
  • cinnamon
  • wild salmon
  • lemon juice
My wife hates salmon except for salmon patties. She's like why all of a sudden is salmon all the rage? I myself like salmon, steaks or patties.

GeorgiaBob

If you are buying real active cultures - I doubt it matters what store you buy from. The only issue is whether the bacteria is still alive in that bottle. When my kids were little, the pharmacist kept lactobacillus acidophilus capsules in the pharmacy fridge (that was nearly 40 years ago and none of Sam Walton's general stores were anywhere near me). When the kids (or I) had "issues" (diarrhea, gas, bloating, even constipation) I would buy a small quantity and, within 2 to 4 days, problem solved. That was true even if the problem included the flu (gut bugs do NOT cure influenza, but they do ease the intestinal distress).

We are all getting older (until we stop getting older - then they bury us) and more and more foods get less and less cooperative. Whatever helps!

Artfuldodger

If you are buying real active cultures - I doubt it matters what store you buy from. The only issue is whether the bacteria is still alive in that bottle. When my kids were little, the pharmacist kept lactobacillus acidophilus capsules in the pharmacy fridge (that was nearly 40 years ago and none of Sam Walton's general stores were anywhere near me). When the kids (or I) had "issues" (diarrhea, gas, bloating, even constipation) I would buy a small quantity and, within 2 to 4 days, problem solved. That was true even if the problem included the flu (gut bugs do NOT cure influenza, but they do ease the intestinal distress).

We are all getting older (until we stop getting older - then they bury us) and more and more foods get less and less cooperative. Whatever helps!

Yeah I'm amazed that aging has affected how my diet affects my colon.
I will add that part of that aging process is putting on a few extra pounds as well. Probably not as active contributes as well.

I was having heartburn in the middle of the night until I learned not to eat big meals late at night. I also learned what foods triggered my indigestion. Abstinence really helps.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
organic vinegar and real.sauerkraut will put the good bacteria in your gut.1Table spoon of vinegar daily or 2 servings of kraut per week will work wonders.I take 1 tablespoon of vinegar for my acid reflux and don,t take protonix any more.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I went to the beach for a week and ate most of the following;
  • Wheat-based products: Bread, pasta, cereals, wheat flour, couscous, etc.
  • Gluten-containing grains: Barley, rye, bulgur, seitan, triticale and oats.
  • Processed meats: Cold cuts, deli meats, bacon, hot dogs, etc.
  • Baked goods: Cakes, muffins, cookies, pies, pastries and pizza.
  • Snack foods: Crackers, muesli bars, popcorn, pretzels, etc.
  • Junk food: Fast foods, potato chips, sugary cereals, candy bars, etc.
  • Dairy products: Milk, cheeses and ice cream.
  • Refined oils: Canola, sunflower, soybean and safflower oils.
  • Artificial sweeteners: Aspartame, sucralose and saccharin.
  • Sauces: Salad dressings, as well as soy, teriyaki and hoisin sauce.
  • Beverages: Alcohol, carbonated beverages and other sugary drinks.
I think it kinda messed with my gut. We were experimenting with drinking lots of various stouts and porters. Guinness is way better than Murphy's by the way.
Good grief! Not trying to shame you or anything like that but if you eat like that all the time you’re gonna have other health problems besides just having a messed up stomach. It’s no wonder you didn’t have any energy

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
organic vinegar and real.sauerkraut will put the good bacteria in your gut.1Table spoon of vinegar daily or 2 servings of kraut per week will work wonders.I take 1 tablespoon of vinegar for my acid reflux and don,t take protonix any more.
I’ve been doing this for a couple months now. I used to eat tums daily. I’ve probably ate three in in the last month.

Oldstick

Ya'll have far. far exceeded my level of scrutiny for what goes in my stomach.

Artfuldodger

Good grief! Not trying to shame you or anything like that but if you eat like that all the time you’re gonna have other health problems besides just having a messed up stomach. It’s no wonder you didn’t have any energy

I think that was part of my problem. I don't regularly eat like that but hey, I was on vacation! lol

Lesson learned.

Artfuldodger

I was researching some brands such as Bubbies. Something made the old fashion way. Something not pasteurized.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Try “God’s Miracle Tea”, it’s a herbal tea you brew at home. It with lots of water will cleanse your system and aid the beneficial bacteria in your gut. At 38 I started having some heartburn and other mild gut issues. Now at 40, no heartburn or any other gut issue. If you don’t feel empty after your constitution you’re backed up. Healthy gut goes a long way toward overall health.

Artfuldodger

Try “God’s Miracle Tea”, it’s a herbal tea you brew at home. It with lots of water will cleanse your system and aid the beneficial bacteria in your gut. At 38 I started having some heartburn and other mild gut issues. Now at 40, no heartburn or any other gut issue. If you don’t feel empty after your constitution you’re backed up. Healthy gut goes a long way toward overall health.

Looks interesting, I have heard of some of those ingredients.

buckpasser

At age 30 my wife became gluten intolerant overnight. There was no warning and she now occasionally suffers from fatigue and major stomach problems as well as joint pain and other issues. It’s autoimmune related and if I were you I’d try to really limit my gluten intake just to be on the safe side before you cause your body to “overreact”. If she gets a hold of some now it’s a trip to the ER and days of being screwed up. It irritates me when people pick on gluten free folks like they’re trying to be trendy. Not all of them are. My wife would love to knock out a box of Krispy Kreme’s at this point.