Heard County

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Have not seen any white oaks dropping in Heard, have y’all?

Very few. The ones at the house have just started dropping in the last few days, but it is a very slim crop. I spent a good deal of time on the WMA last week and they were sparse there as well.

Have noticed a big uptick in scrapes opening up in the last week.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
3.5 hrs yesterday 2 white oak acorns fell.
Gonna be a rough year with no white oaks!!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of young bucks moving this weekend. Saw a really nice up and coming 8 point Saturday morning and then a young 6 and I think the same 8 yesterday morning. Dad had some does and a spike munching red oaks yesterday morning as well.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Lots of young bucks moving this weekend. Saw a really nice up and coming 8 point Saturday morning and then a young 6 and I think the same 8 yesterday morning. Dad had some does and a spike munching red oaks yesterday morning as well.
What part of the county are you in?

Bwmstr1

When do you guys start seeing scrapes I'm in the west part of Heard close to the line,first time hunting this close to Alabama,I'm being told Peak is early Dec,But Just wondering when you guys usually start seeing Rubs and scrapes .Thanks in Advance

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
When do you guys start seeing scrapes I'm in the west part of Heard close to the line,first time hunting this close to Alabama,I'm being told Peak is early Dec,But Just wondering when you guys usually start seeing Rubs and scrapes .Thanks in Advance

They started showing up big time in the last week for us. Where you are is definitely a late November/early December rut.

gma1320

Yes I am close to Glenn and we don't see any scrapes really until the week before Thanksgiving or so.

toolmkr20

Had three big doe come in today around 11:30. Shot the first one that gave me an opportunity. Still no sign of chasing or scrapes. Only buck pics I’ve been getting are of little scrub bucks at night. Our rut doesn’t really kick off until December. My lease is on the West side of Heard closer to the Alabama line.

Bwmstr1

Yessir that's what I got on camera this past week small bucks small scrapes spread out few small rubs scattered..sounds like we got about the same activity..

outdoorlife99

I hunt just outside Franklin close to the new recreation fields. When does rut normally occur. Trying to put in vacation. Thanks

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I hunt just outside Franklin close to the new recreation fields. When does rut normally occur. Trying to put in vacation. Thanks

I've always liked the time around the 21st-Thanksgiving time frame. Still seeing mainly young bucks cruising this weekend. We had 2 new shooters show up on camera this week that we have never seen before, so they are definitely out looking for that first doe in estrus.

Bwmstr1

I saw a dOE by herself about 10 this morning and couple small buck walking around guess closer to ala.you are later it starts.be another week or so around my club

gma1320

I found a couple of scrapes Saturday at our place

toolmkr20

Went to pick up my deer at North's yesterday and they had some nice bucks in there from Heard. Might be starting to heat up. They also had a really nice 10pt that had a WMA band on it but they could not remember which WMA it came from. I am thinking with it being North's that it probably came from the last West Point hunt.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
There was a very nice 10 killed on the WMA yesterday. I killed a nice 8 on the WMA a little before 9 a.m. yesterday. He was cruising fast and his hocks were dripping wet. I think most of the bucks killed yesterday were after does.