Heavy concentration of ducks in flooded cow pastures?

There are at least 3 small cow pastures I have seen that are loaded with ducks in my part of Georgia.

Does anyone have an idea to why they would like a spot like this? (shallow water I know) But no cover, and what food/seeds are the ducks eating?

I know for a fact they are not baited and they are not flooded crops. I believe the species are mainly gadwall and teal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

hrstille

Plus they feel safe in spots like that. They can see anything coming their way.

There are many forms of food in those areas. Lots of natural seed from various grasses, invertebrates live there, and grain in the cow ****s too.

Just regular cow grass though, not the barnyard grass or other desirable moist soil grasses... Maybe there are grain remnants, but wouldn't think there is that large of quantity to feed that many ducks...

I guess maybe it is because of how open it is. I always thought areas with thick trees and lots of vegetation was more ideal for ducks. But on our property there are acres and acres of flooded timber and it is duckless for the most part.

Duckbuster82

Just regular cow grass though, not the barnyard grass or other desirable moist soil grasses... Maybe there are grain remnants, but wouldn't think there is that large of quantity to feed that many ducks...

I guess maybe it is because of how open it is. I always thought areas with thick trees and lots of vegetation was more ideal for ducks. But on our property there are acres and acres of flooded timber and it is duckless for the most part.
There is plenty of seed in regular grass, but most likely it’s a combination of the three I listed. We have shot geese out of dormant grass fields, I scoured them looking for bait after we got permission to hunt them and nothing. They find food somehow. Maybe with the wet ground worms, grubs and other insects come to the surface.

across the river

There is plenty of food in a cow pasture. Ducks will eat virtually any seed on a seed head or in the grass. They also eat invertebrates, worms, nutsedge tubers, etc..... You don't have to have rice, smart weed, band yard grass, or any another "moist soil" seed for them to eat. Those are just the plants typically in or near the water they are usually at, so people associate those with ducks. They will eat nearly any seed. You can flood sunflower and soybeans and they will wrap those up until the seeds all rot, so pretty much any sheet water can and will hold ducks.

People in Georgia often associate ducks with flooded timber because that is where they kill wood duck and see people killing mallards on T.V. However, most duck species highly prefer open flooded fields over flooded timber.

Uptonongood

Hunted pastures like you describe for many years, very little seed production but lots of fresh young green vegetation. And inverts. Widgeon and pintails were especially fond of those settings. Fun hunts out of layouts using jerk string decoys!

There is plenty of food in a cow pasture. Ducks will eat virtually any seed on a seed head or in the grass. They also eat invertebrates, worms, nutsedge tubers, etc..... You don't have to have rice, smart weed, band yard grass, or any another "moist soil" seed for them to eat. Those are just the plants typically in or near the water they are usually at, so people associate those with ducks. They will eat nearly any seed. You can flood sunflower and soybeans and they will wrap those up until the seeds all rot, so pretty much any sheet water can and will hold ducks.

People in Georgia often associate ducks with flooded timber because that is where they kill wood duck and see people killing mallards on T.V. However, most duck species highly prefer open flooded fields over flooded timber.

I'd say there definitely is a fair association of having woodies and mallards in flooded timber. You wont see a flooded cow pasture full of woodies or mallards, that has no cover. However, when it comes to other species of ducks like widgeon gadwall and teal they seem to not mind the open areas.

That's one reason why duck hunting is so unique and special. Cool to see what different areas certain species like and are drawn to.

Beta Tau789

The low side of my horse pasture has been holding a quarter acre water for the past month or so, I even through some decoy’s out with high hopes and yet not a duck to be seen. Same thing happened in March and I had mallards lol.