Help identify this rock please

alan

A friend of mine found this in Bryson City N.C. in a river. I can not figure out if it is a pendant or what it was used for. How do you think the holes were drilled? This is one of the coolest finds I have ever seen. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• rock 1.jpg
    rock 1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 164
  • rock 2.jpg
    rock 2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 164
  • rock 3.jpg
    rock 3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 148
  • rock 4.jpg
    rock 4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 139
  • rock 5.jpg
    rock 5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 138
  • rock 6.jpg
    rock 6.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 137

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is an odd find. Even odder, I found one very similar to that in the Pigeon (next river east of where this one was found,) when I was a kid. I don't think it's a native American artifact, looks like it was done by some kind of machinery.

Hillbilly stalker

Looks like you could sand maybe straighten an arrow shaft with it ?

alan

Hillbilly, what kind of machine do you think made it? It looks old to me.

Duff

Very interesting

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hillbilly, what kind of machine do you think made it? It looks old to me.
I don't know, looks like maybe a combination of a big threaded object and a hydraulic press? I've spent enough decades practicing primitive skills and making hand-ground stone tools that I don't think it's possible to make something that uniform, or drill half-circle holes especially in a rock by hand. There is no hand-drilling method that will make a half-moon hole in a rock. The mountains around that area were covered with logging and mining operations a hundred years ago.

Last edited:

Philbow

Possibly a piece of cast/formed concrete like foundation stone. Broken and weathered by river action into an oval shape? Or a weathered piece of mill stone, with the holes for feeding grain?

fish hawk

Bass Master
Possibly a piece of cast/formed concrete like foundation stone. Broken and weathered by river action into an oval shape? Or a weathered piece of mill stone, with the holes for feeding grain?
Something along these lines

alan

That seems reasonable.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thats what I was thinking. You could split a tree branch to get the shape of the holes. Hand held washboard stone?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Clearly something left behind by the Illuminati. Whatever you do don't blow on it or rub it. A genie might pop out.
Seriously its very interesting and has me perplexed. Very curious piece. I thought it looked like soapstone in the pics.

alan

Well I blew on it and rubbed it.... no genie! Back to the drawing board!

apoint

Ancient Aliens for sure