Help Iding a tool

jayrun

Hi yall,

When I was a kid I found a rock tht was odd I hauled it from the creek i found it in and brought it home.

It sat outside on the porch kinda as a paper weight but I lost track of it after high school.

I am gonna attempt to describe it here wish i had pictures and maybe someone can help.

It was a white stone we used to call it quartzite, not clear at all looks like the white streaks you sometimes see in granite.

it had a slight curve across the top almost like a dome and a mirror curve on the bottom but not as pronounced both ends flared out thicker with the thinner section in the middle. The rock was a little bigger than my fist top to bottom about 4 inches side to sidemaybe 6 inched width was 3 inches or so. right in the center was a holebut it was not perfectly round the it looked like 2 holes drilled together side by side so close they merged together...hope i explained that right. the holes looked to be about a quarter inch in diameter but were close to 1/2 inch togetherit really looked like you could string 2 pieces of rope through the hole and then tie it onto something like a forked stick or something.

it was a hefty rock maybe a pound or so.

Any Ideas? I know someone somewhere made it for something holes dont just appear in rock like that...wish i could find it but someone else owns that house now.

Jayrun

Handgunner

Jay, try and draw a picture of it in Microsoft Paint and post it... That could probably help tremendously.

jayrun

Ok here goes...I have no artistic ability so hope this works.

Attachments

• tool (640 x 427).jpg
    tool (640 x 427).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 163

jayrun

Not to scale it is bigger than the drawing and i ma going strictly off memory.

I searched the google results could not find a pic of anything similar.

Looks like a hammer of some kind to me.

Jayrun

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Got me stumped too. To heavy to be a gorget unless it`s not finished. But why drill the holes first? Only other guess I can come up with is maybe an arrowshaft straightener.

Handgunner

I'm stumped, Jayrun... Do the holes go all the way through the peice?