Help please! Tell me how to turkey hunt!

stringmusic

Johnny come lately, the new kid in town. Everbody loves him, but he is just a clown.
The problem is your taking an experience that was not meant for everyone and trying to turn it into one that is. $nwtf$
Here's another one I need help deciphering.

How do I find out if the turkey hunting experience was meant for me? Is there an online test I could take or something?

Maybe I'll film myself hunting Saturday and post it, everybody can vote and let me know if it was meant for me or not.

Ben Athens

Here is one thing remember....

If you call and he gobbles but don't come in it is " Because that turkey has been called to before and is buggered up" . It is not your fault or your calling!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I killed my first turkey this year and now I'm hooked for life:cool: . All these years I never new what I was missing. I rolled that sucker with my truck running about 65mph down the highway. It was one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard as the bumper made contact and it pinwheeled under the truck leaving a cloud of feathers as it skidded on the pavement. I think it was a hen. Hitting an armadillo will never be the same:D .

GoldDot40

I can go to Kroger and hunt (and find) the biggest turkey they got in the pile. Then find the smallest and swap the price tags on them. THAT'S how you tukey hunt. The key is to get there early and knock over a display on the opposite side of the store. That way nobody will pay you 1 bit of attention.

Well said. Most folks can't understand the difference.

I'm not against someone killing a turkey legally

But if you can't see the difference in shooting a turkey out of a tent over a strutter compared to sitting on the ground, no decoy, with nothing but a gun and a turkey call then you are completely blind.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I think the guy in the tent in SWGA is at a disadvantage. Most turkeys here are nomadic & never show up twice regularly. Run & gun guy gets around to set up. Hears him and goes to his roost. Try that in a tent.

stringmusic

I was really hope to get more info on this than what I've got so far. There are a few guys in particular that are consistently telling everybody what a real turkey hunter is, I'm wanting a quick write up of what that means exactly.

Don't be shy now, let's hear it.

MKW

You might as well just give up the quest. You will never make it.

stringmusic

You might as well just give up the quest. You will never make it.

Well that's not very encouraging. Maybe you're just a glass half empty kinda guy.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I have a bad feeling g this thread is making fun of me.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1491832426786.jpg
    FB_IMG_1491832426786.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 118

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Dont sweat it string music.................get a mouth call and practice while driving, your welcome.
Still trying to get my first bird, but I promise you I am a Turkey Hunter too(Also Hog and coyote hunter)! I have been so close, even yesterday I left them gobbling. I am having so much fun being out there, it soothes my soul.......thats what matters:cool:

There are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how to call any call you want to make or buy..............I just cant find the beer can and a stick combo......... Maybe we can get Jack to give us a show on that one........should be awesome;)

erhunter

Yea don't sweat it!

Everyone's got their own opinion on here: sarcasm criticism and all. Take it all in stride! If your motivated you're gonna love learning this sport.

I'm still a newbie with 3-4 years under my belt, but only advice I'd add is get out there with someone who loves this sport if you can.

Otherwise I agree with bfriendly, read everything you can online, watch YouTube, then just practice and learn on the ground in the spring.

As long as it's legal, to each their own on how you hunt em, don't listen to the critics on decoys, blinds, etc. If you like it and it's legal and it puts turkeys in the truck DO IT!

Best of luck, if I can be any help in my limited experience let me know

Jack Ryan

I'm tagging this so I can read it the week before the season starts NEXT year.

Jack Ryan

Dont sweat it string music.................get a mouth call and practice while driving, your welcome.
Still trying to get my first bird, but I promise you I am a Turkey Hunter too(Also Hog and coyote hunter)! I have been so close, even yesterday I left them gobbling. I am having so much fun being out there, it soothes my soul.......thats what matters:cool:

There are plenty of youtube videos that will show you how to call any call you want to make or buy..............I just cant find the beer can and a stick combo......... Maybe we can get Jack to give us a show on that one........should be awesome;)

Made that one when I was out mushroom hunting with another guy. He heard a gobble and said he wished he had "his call" and I told him just make one.

The gauntlet was thrown...

Pick up the next beer can ya see. Joe Powers always told me Budweiser cans were best. Get out yer pocket knife and cut off the end with the hole in it. Rough sand paper works best but I first got that one to work with just a hand full of rocks and sand, rubbing the dished end to rough it up. I was first shown this call at work on a pop can and Joe used a Bik ink pen as a striker roughing it up with the same paper as the can. I broke off a piece of dead oak to make that striker. A thinner limb off shoot is best. Leave some meat from the heavy limb on the end and start making the striking surface on the small one like seen in the pick. Just keep shortening it up until you get the pitch you want. That file in a Leatherman Wave is really handy for the striker part and the saw too!

Use it just like any store bought slate. Should get clucks and purrs and yelps pretty easy if you have sand paper. It's a little harder with just rocks and driveway sand but I had to do it once the challenge was made. I've used the call at least once a year ever since making that one, just on principle.

I thought about painting it this year since it's got so shiny but I was afraid of it ruining the ambiance.

Still want a video?:rofl:

Thanks for bringing this up. Joe Powers was a co-worker of mine in the mid to late 70's to about '95. GM busting up moved us in separate directions and I've never seen him since but I think I learned more about turkey hunting from him between starting and quitting time than any one else I've ever met and I never even hunted a wild turkey until several years after that. Soon as I got where I had turkey to hunt it all started coming back and thankfully I had friend or two I live near by then to give me a little encouragement as well by then. But slates, and tube calls and turtle shell slates and pop cans and how to make and use them I owe all that to Joe along with basic turkey behavior. At least what little I retained of it.

I'm not a great turkey hunter by any standard but I've got a trick or two I don't think many of them have seen before.

Last edited: