Help! Where to wade the Chattahoochee

Thread starter #1
We’ve been trout fishing the Tallulah for a few years now and we are wanting to start making some day trips to the Chattahoochee because it’s some much closer. I went yesterday and scouted out Island Ford, Morgan Falls, Johnson Ferry and Cochran Shoals but didn’t really see any spots to wade in. Any help or tips on where to go would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Coenen

The further South of Buford Dam you get, the less wade-able water you're going to find.

gunnurse

Not only that, but I don’t know how far downstream the warning sirens go. The ‘Hooch is not somewhere you want to be with the water rising.

Timberman

For wading I like Jones Bridge. Just be on top of the release schedule. Lately the river has been blown out.

ryanh487

Right now with Buford dam running 24/7 to keep lanier from flooding after all the recent rain, I wouldn't go on the river in a boat much less with waders. I haven't seen where DNR/COE declared it safe again yet.

Coenen

Right now with Buford dam running 24/7 to keep lanier from flooding after all the recent rain, I wouldn't go on the river in a boat much less with waders. I haven't seen where DNR/COE declared it safe again yet.
They turned off the taps about a week or so ago. Buford Dam is back to a fairly normal summer generation schedule. That means afternoon / evening releases to go with local electricity demands.

Call: 770-945-1466 for that day's water release schedule, but be warned that the water release schedule can change with hydropower demands, or equipment failures. Life jackets must be worn by all persons on the river from Buford Dam to the GA Hwy 20 Bridge.

Boondocks

The Hooch is not relly a river to wade.If you do have a quick release on them waders and a life jacket on .You might come out way south of where you walked in at.

Coenen

It clears below tha dsm pretty quick
It stays clear right below the dam. It gets a little more color in it further South as more runoff comes in. The fish eat no matter what. IMO, a little color in the water can help.

hopper

I agree. Use to fish jonebridge growing up, and always did well with some color in the drink. No trout master here but seem to hook more browns in the stained water.

Nugefan

1255PM - 1010PM water release for today .,...

As others have said, the 'Hooch is pretty blown out with all of the rain, so wading is more difficult if not downright dangerous. At more normal levels, you can try the Jones Bridge shoals area (access from Jones Bridge Park on the Gwinnett county side) and the Whitewater Creek shoals, just above the bridge of I-75.